Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

World Cup 2018/2022

Dog-amoto

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IOC stepping into the fold now saying they;d hope to meet with FIFA if the 2022 World Cup is moved to winter months to ensure it doesn't clash with the 2022 Winter Games.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2013/0920/475382-ioc-concerned-about-winter-world-cup/

Kinda wish something would happen that would force FIFA to take the World Cup away from Qatar and get a new host.

The temperature issue should have come up during the bidding and should have effectively caused Qatars bid to lose.

But no all the FIFA top brass saw were the dollar signs and didn't give a frak bout anything else

I would have liked to seen it given to Australia. I bet they would have hosted a great tournament, apart from the time difference.

Also, the whole Euro 2020 thing...is that going to be a permanent fixture now having it all over Europe instead of just one or two countries, or is it just a one time thing for the 60th anniversary?

I read on Neogaf that there was a proposal of holding it from Jan to Feb 2022, in which the final would be played on the same Sunday as the Superbowl that year.

If they hold out for November, then it clashes with the Winter Olympics.... it's just one monumental fuck up really.

I would have liked to seen it given to Australia. I bet they would have hosted a great tournament, apart from the time difference.

Yeah I think Australia would have hosted a great tournament, was real disappointed they didn't get it :(

Also, the whole Euro 2020 thing...is that going to be a permanent fixture now having it all over Europe instead of just one or two countries, or is it just a one time thing for the 60th anniversary?

I think it's just a one time thing (Euro 2020).

The one good thing I see from the plan for Euro 2020 is that it'll give "smaller" countries a chance who likely would not be able to host a full tournament.

Yeah I'm saying this because Dublin is entering a bid to host some games and I'd love to be able to go to some tournament matches.

Lansdowne Road/Aviva Stadium meets the criteria to host group games and round of 16 (51,700 capacity)

The only downer on this would be I don't think they got give automatic spots to countries of teh host cities (think they need 13 cities... and I think it is one city per country so that's 13 countries) so would be somewhat annoyed if Dublin got to host some games but Ireland didn't qualify.... though with the entrants expanded to 24 from Euro 2016 hopefully we can't screw that up :D

I do hope UEFA do give some extra preference to cities from countries that wouldn't normally be able to put in a bid for full tournaments and not to cities from countries that have recently or potentially will host full tournaments.

I get though that they have a requirement for the semi finals and final to all be in the same venue with a stadium capacity of minimum 70,000 so a "bigger" country would prolly have to take that (don't know capacities of potential bidding cities).

For example I see France is putting in a bid for Lyon (bit odd it's not Paris?) to be a host city, they are already hosting the full Euro 2016 tournament and Lyon is one of the venues for that. That just seems a bit greedy to by putting in a bid for the very next Euros even if it is only one city.

Russia bidding with St. Petersburg too.... they already have the World Cup 2018.

Guess what I'm saying is, if the idea behind this is meant to be to celebrate Europe, then give those countries who don't normally get to be in such limelight a chance to shine and not the same old countries again and again.

Here's a list of the current potential bidders who have till April to hand in final bids. (wish the article I C&P from had stadia capacities listed and I'm too lazy to look it up haha)

Armenia (Yerevan), Azerbaijan (Baku), Belarus (Minsk), Belgium (Brussels), Bulgaria (Sofia), Croatia (Zagreb), Czech Republic (Prague), Denmark (Copenhagen), England (London), Finland (Helsinki), France (Lyon), Macedonia (Skopje), Germany (Munich), Greece (Athens), Hungary (Budapest), Israel (Jerusalem), Italy (Rome or Milan), Kazakhstan (Astana), Netherlands (Amsterdam), Poland (Warsaw and Chorzow), Portugal (Lisbon or Porto), Republic of Ireland (Dublin), Romania (Bucharest), Russia (St Petersburg), Scotland (Glasgow), Serbia (Belgrade), Spain (Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao or Valencia), Sweden (Solna), Switzerland (Basel), Turkey (Istanbul), Ukraine (Kiev or Donetsk) and Wales(Cardiff)

The required stadium capacities would be 70,000 for the semi-finals and final, 60,000 for the quarter-finals and 50,000 for the group stage and round of 16 matches. Two exceptions will be made where 30,000 capacity stadiums would be permitted.

From that list I'd like to see the following get selected, (without knowing the capacities and just looking at the list)

Ireland (of course), Scotland, Wales, Turkey, Croatia, Romaina, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Czech Rep, Bulgaria, Netherlands (I know they co-hosted 2000, but that'll be 20 years ago by the time 2020 comes).

Those would be the 12 for the games to the 1/4 finals

With the semis and finals to be host in either, England, Spain or Italy, all of whom I'm sure have the stadium to meet the requirements for 70,000 capacities... whats Wembley hold? 80,000 or something?

I'd like to say somewhere like Isreal should get a shot too but then who knows what security conerns will be like over there?

EDIT

I read on Neogaf that there was a proposal of holding it from Jan to Feb 2022, in which the final would be played on the same Sunday as the Superbowl that year.

If they hold out for November, then it clashes with the Winter Olympics.... it's just one monumental fuck up really.

Actually I think both are usually round February, the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi are due to open on Feb 7th and next years Superbowl is Feb 2nd.

SO they prolly won't clash fine, but imagine then a football World Cup in on top of both of them?

I think the IOC if they talk with FIFA will suggest an Oct-Nov World Cup 2022 to avoid clashing with the Winter Games.

But also sure I read somewhere (think it was a newspaper) that the main TV station in the USA (FOX I think can't remember?) that has rights to broadcast the World Cups in the USA said they would take action against FIFA (not sure what kind of "action", prolly just pull out and not pay FIFA or show the games?) if it is not a Summer World cup as they paid for the broadcast rights assuming it would be in the Summer as it always has been and it being in Jan-Feb or Oct-Nov would clash with they coverage of american sports like Basketball, Baseball and American Football.

Edited by Mokong
Automerged Doublepost

I think both of these processes have been an absolute farce to be honest.

Turkey were the only original applicants for Euro 2020 and then put their eggs into the Istanbul Olympics 2020 and then lost to Tokyo such a dumb move on their part. I personally dislike the idea of this roadshow tournament but as a one off I can deal with it and also it represents potentially the only chance any of the UK (and Rep of Ireland) have to host international tournament football in the near future. I agree with @Mokong X\-C that nations who hosted recently should not be considered. I think qualifying seeding use 8 years of rankings/results so why not use that as the benchmark. If you have hosted something within 8 years then you can't host in Euro 2020.

As for Qatar what a joke. Ok so I'm sure there is nothing in the paperwork that says it HAS to be a summer event but since the formation of the World Cup and and more importantly the standardized International Calendar it is kind of a given that the World Cup is a summer event. I mean if Europe is willing to bend over backwards to alter their own calendar how about they try and get something out of it? Move the African Nations Cup. This is an argument that comes up every time the ANC happens and there is always the argument "Europe didn't care when back in the 50s when it was formed" well I'm pretty sure Qatar didn't give a shit about the World Cup until the 70's when their FA was formed. To me the two are on level peggings.

UEFA and FIFA both trying to spread football around the world and making a royal mess of the whole thing.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!