N-Europe

ReZ's Jayus Humour

Ashley

Foreign words for concepts we don't have is always fun. English already finds its way into most languages, so we don't see much of it.

About the article:

-"Duende" in Portuguese still means the mythical creature (think Imps, Goblins, Gnomes, etc.). I actually had no idea it meant that in Spanish;

-Cafuné is an awesome word :heart: I've always loved it. Also, it isn't exclusive to Brazil, though it originated there;

-Saudade is often mentioned as such a Portuguese word (and it's such a nice word). It also exists in Brazil, obviously.

Another such Portuguese word: "Desenrascanço" (and the verb "Desenrascar") which basically means "Disentangle", referring to the ability of somehow getting out of a problem you're in. I once heard "pulling off a Macgyver" as a translation, quite amusing :grin:

Wow...that picture is just...untranslatable :D

Hmm, the Finnish word that comes to mind is sisu. Basically a combination of "having guts, determination, never backing down, going through solid rock etc."

Man, is Finland the manliest country on earth or what? :grin:

Also, you just reminded me of another word in Portuguese: Juízo (or "Siso", which means the same thing). It means good sense, and it's used quite commonly.

Perhaps it exists in other languages, but English and Spanish don't seem to have a good equivalent, and I usually notice that.