NEurope
Sméagol

Colonial Military enlistment (BG Mafia sign-ups)

Are the cylons going be the mafia?

Yes.

And town will consist of Tribbles. Also, there will be a Sarlacc serial Killer wreaking havoc on both sides. And if Barbarella dies, everyone loses. So be prepared.

I'll skip this one - no offense but I feel like I need a break and since I know absolutely nothing about BG I feel this'll be a good one for me to sit out. : peace:

No problem ;).

I'm taking a break too after the Star Wars one and my own.

(although, the game consoles sounds too much fun to skip)

And town will consist of Tribbles. Also, there will be a Sarlacc serial Killer wreaking havoc on both sides. And if Barbarella dies, everyone loses. So be prepared.

I love how that made no sense whatsoever to me :p

I'll play though but I know nothing about the show, except a woman named six might be hot.

I love how that made no sense whatsoever to me :p

Tribbles

tribbles.jpg

Sarlacc

SS_20100401_Sarlacc01_800x450.jpg

Barbarella

article-1023594-029C653B0000044D-558_233x402_popup.jpg

I'll play though but I know nothing about the show, except a woman named six might be hot.

A Six

321px-Season_3_-_Promo_-_AMOS_-_Number_Six.jpg

At first, I didn't want anything to do with her, but the actress (Tricia Helfer) really grew on me (?). I love her now! :D

Since the Star Wars mafia has started, I should probably bump this, and get the rest of my preparations going (probably should've been ready by now :rolleyes:).

In order to entice people to join my game and get the final slots filled up, I'm going to post what will be the "comprehensive rules" of the game, which will also give a sneakpeak at the gamemechanics. But perhaps these will only scare people away :rolleyes:. Not only will I provide you with my comprehensive rules, I have also come up with an example role description, which is provided below. The roledescription gives you an example of the stuff mentioned in the rules, which will hopefull clarify things if the rules themselves sound too confusing on their own ;).

Comprehensive rules:

- The gameflow: the combination of a dayphase and a nightphase will be called a turn. Dayphases will last for 48 hours, nightphases will last for 24 hours. The deadlines for both phases will always be at 00:00 CET (23:00 UK), although I will be somewhat lenient. If players wish to end the dayphase, players may write "[end dayphase]" in bold. But this decision needs to be unanimous, and since deadlines are always at 00:00 CET, this will only be effective if you agree in the first 24 hours of the dayphase.

- Voting during the dayphase: there are 2 things you can vote for, the usual lynching, but you can also elect a President. Therefore, you need to specify what you want to vote for (unspecified votes will not be taken into account). You specify your intention by either writing "[vote lynch: [player] ]" or "[vote president: [player] ]" in bold, where [player] obviously is the player of your choice. Both votes need an absolute majority. You may change your vote. With set deadlines at 00:00 CET, gaining a majority for either vote, will not cause the dayphase to end. However, votes made or changed after either gained a majority, will not be taken into account.

- The executioner: besides an absolute majority in voting, a lynching requires an executioner. To volunteer for executioner, write "[volunteer for executioner]" in bold. Without volunteers, a lynch will not go through. If multiple players volunteer, you have to decide amongst yourselves who will be the executioner. When no decision is made, I will pick someone randomly among the volunteers. Note that, the identity of the player will not be revealed in the lynch write-up.

- The president: the player who is the current president, will have some additional useful abilities at his or her disposal. Players who are chosen to be president, will remain president for 3 turns, including the turn he or she was chosen. After this term, players can vote for a new (or the current) president. In the event no majority is reached, the current president will remain president. Players will have a new opportunity next turn to elect a new president. At the start of the game, there will be an active president, who I will not reveal. Note that, the identity of the player will not be revealed in the inauguration write-up.

- Using abilities during the nightphase: add the start of a turn, each player will gain an Ability Point. This Ability Point can be used on activated abilities. Your role description will generally specify activated abilities in the following format:

"activated ([x]): [ability's name]: any other requirements; any specifications you need to make as well as the effects your ability will have"

Here [x] is the activation cost. In general circumstances this is 1, generally resulting in the usual 1 ability a night. However, some abilities may modify the circumstances, and there may be activated abilities with different activation costs, or additional requirements. Some abilities can only be used once a turn, this will be specified. In order to notify me of which ability / abilities you'd like to use and how, send me a private message with the following:

In the title: "BG Mafia: ability: turn [x]", where [x] is the current turn.

In the message: "[ability's name]: [any specification, like targets]"

If you have multiple abilities you'd like to use (or abilities you'd like to use multiple times), please state each one on a seperate line.

There may be some abilities which can be activated before the dayphase deadline, this will be specified.

- Passive abilities: apart from activated abilities, some players may have passive abilities. These are static abilities which are always functioning, usually waiting for a trigger to do anything specific. Your role description will generally specify passive abilities in the following format:

"passive: [ability's name]: any triggers and effects"

- Role descriptions: I may or may not be withholding information concerning your role and abilities. Sometimes obvious, sometimes not.. Always intentional. Also, I've provided every role description with a link to their character profile on a battlestar wiki. This is purely for reference only, for those unfamiliar with Battlestar Galactica, and may or may not actually be helpful for the game.

- Ability conflicts: there will be a specific order of priority among activated abilities. In case 2 or more abilities of the same type conflict with eachother, the order of priority will be determined by the time when I received the related private messages.

- Activity: at all times, you are required to send me a private message before the nightphase deadline of each turn, stating your intentions for that turn. If you do not wish to use any abilities or are unable to do so, simply state: "BG Mafia: no action: night x", where x is the current turn. If you fail to do so, you will be flagged as inactive in the players list. I will take no other action, however, other players may base their decisions on this list. When you send me a private message after being flagged, I will remove the flag.

- Other private messages: if you want to ask me a question, about the rules, or the workings of your abilities, etc., you can private message me, prefferably with "BG Mafia: question" in the title. If you think you spot a mistake (could happen), please add "BG Mafia: mistake" in the title. If I did make a mistake, I will let you all know, and do my best to correct it. Keep in mind, I'm often deliberately withholding information, and some "mistakes" may be intentional. In which case, my response won't be very helpful. If a certain ability is affecting you in a way you should know about, you will receive notifications from me. At any point during the game however, you may private message me with "BG Mafia: status" in the title, if you wish to check your current status, or the number of Ability Points or various counters you may have.

- The gamemechanics are influenced by Magic formalities. Targeting is not the same as choosing for example. They both do mainly the same, but have different implications. Also, counters are used, to keep track of certain elements of the game. It will be specified whenever you receive or lose counters.

- The usual: no editing, no posting during the nightphase, and no posting while dead. Although I will be lenient concerning off-topic posts and the usual "fuck you, I'm deceased" posts.

- The unusual: no thanking posts, and no images. Also, try to refrain from doubleposting.

- Rule infractions: to be honest, I don't have any actual punishment in mind, however, I may keep a blacklist for any future games I may mod.

[xx] Starbuck

Role: mock-up example character & womanizer

Alignment: neutral

Appearance: playboy

200px-StarbuckSystem.jpg

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Starbuck_(TOS)

Abilities:

active (1): seduce: Target a player. If targeted player's character is female, you will receive a [character] trophy counter, where [character] is that player's character.

If targeted player is male, you will receive a [character] coffee counter, where [character] is that player's character.

Type: target

Appearance when targeting a female character: offers some coffee, then gets it on

Appearance when targeting a male character: offers some coffee

passive: worlds colliding: whenever you target Kara Thrace with the seduce ability, the space-time continuüm will explode, causing the game to end.

passive: coffee boost: whenever you're targeted, the player targeting you will receive an additional Ability Point at the beginning of the next turn.

passive: opening a coffee shop: when you have received every [character] coffee counters for every male characters remaining in the game, before you received every [character] trophy counters for every female characters remaining in the game, you will open up a coffee shop. You're alignment will change to good, and your win condition will change to that of the other good players. You will lose all current abilities, and gain the coffee boost ability.

Win condition:

You win when at the end of the game, you have [character] trophy counters for each female character remaining in the game, except for Kara Thrace.

In the role description:

- light grey italic is for stuff you're not supposed to or don't need to know. Obviously won't be included in the real thing ;).

- dark red bold highlights ability names.

- light blue highlights counters

- lila italic is intended for stuff you also won't be informed of, but isn't applicable right at the start, for example, abilities you may gain later.

- Not used in the example, but dark blue is for stuff that is known to the player, but like lila, not applicable at the start of the game.

Also, bear in mind this is an elaborate example to show you most of the core mechanics. There will be plenty of "simple" roles as well (I hope I won't disappoint the people getting those roles now).

Well, so far my rules and example role. Of course, [dramatic]this all won't happen if I don't get my slots filled, in which case I'll delay it indefinitely (and probably will try to think of a theme with less critical roles / roles I've grown attached to). You can make it happen!![/dramatic]

Edited by Sméagol

Heh, unfortunately not, I don't know how I would justify that balance-wise ;).

And just to be complete and clear, if I'd actually send that role out, it would simply look like this:

[xx] Starbuck

Role: mock-up example character & womanizer

Alignment: neutral

200px-StarbuckSystem.jpg

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Starbuck_(TOS)

Abilities:

active (1): seduce: Target a player. If targeted player's character is female, you will receive a [character] trophy counter, where [character] is that player's character.

passive: worlds colliding: whenever you target Kara Thrace with the seduce ability, the space-time continuüm will explode, causing the game to end.

Win condition:

You win when at the end of the game, you have [character] trophy counters for each female character remaining in the game, except for Kara Thrace.

Edited by Sméagol

Wow, I wasn't going to sign up for this, knowing hardly a thing about BG, but I like the sound of the game mechanics.

Number 17 please.

Sounds awesome. :D (But I hope there isn't a game ending ability like that in the actual game ;))

What do you mean?? Should I change 8 of my 20 roles then? :o :p

And I take it then, you're saying "frak spoilers, I want in!!", and put your name in as confirmed? ;)

Wow, I wasn't going to sign up for this, knowing hardly a thing about BG, but I like the sound of the game mechanics.

Number 17 please.

Haha, my first game was a DIY. Each and every character was a surprise! :D

Well, gameplay-wise.. You will have no trouble using your abilities unless I'm intentionally vague about them, but then no knowledge of the show will help you! But flavour-wise.. Well, roleclaims people make will be lost on you. But with various abilities going around, and things like the presidential election, there should be plenty to discuss each day.

But thanks, I'll put you on nr. 17 ;).

What do you mean?? Should I change 8 of my 20 roles then? :o :p

And I take it then, you're saying "frak spoilers, I want in!!", and put your name in as confirmed? ;)

(Yes please confirmed. :p)

Was it spoilers for the movie or tv show though?

(Yes please confirmed. :p)

Was it spoilers for the movie or tv show though?

Ehm, what would you consider a movie? Maybe not an useful question to ask someone who hasn't seen anything ;). If it anwsers your question:

I take stuff from everything I have seen. What I haven't seen is The Plan, still, which you could perhaps consider a movie, I dunno, and I haven't seen Caprica. The Plan was DVD/Blu-ray only I think? And there is Razor, which was a TV movie.

Looking at your guidelines/mechanics this game is either going to be awesome, or awesome.

I want it to start! Now!

Like I stated, I intended to start after your game. However.. I think I'll change my mind, and start right after the Gentlemen's mafia ends, as to cater to you impatient people ;). Still need 2 more people in that case though.. I've already decided to scrap 2 roles (apart from the 21st role).

You don't mind that in that case I may not pay full attention to your game? ;)

(Just bumping really so people who may have missed it see it. Smigz said he needed a few more peepz)

I think I've succesfully recruited a player myself, but he's a newbie (at mafia games, he's a BG veteran unlike most of you as far as I can tell :P). I'll give him the link. So one more player.

You? Are you very sure? You're new, but you were already around when I started this thread..

Edited by Sméagol