NEurope
Murr

Iron Man 3

You're lying, no one sponsored you!

Well not me specifically, they're sponsoring the show itself.

The show you randomly started today? They gave you money did they?

Its been planned for several weeks. And yes they give me production money (a very small budget admittedly) and free drinks in exchange for me advertising their product.

GearADE. The Think Drink.

So Favreau is out, who's in the hotseat next?

Praying it doesn't turn into an X-Men 3 style of debacle.

I liked that, ReZ. :) I actually think this was some of your better work. I liked how the tone was serious all the way through with occasional humouristic bits that didn't feel forced.

Iron Man 3, taking a different direction...

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/115/1153955p1.html

Downey and Black Talk Iron Man 3

The writer-director says threequel won't have any Marvel crossovers.

Writer-director Shane Black and star Robert Downey Jr. have been chatting up Iron Man 3 of late.

First, Ain't It Cool News has a rundown of a recent appearance that Black made at the Omaha Film Festival where he was a panelist. The filmmaker revealed that he's meeting with Downey this week in L.A. about the project, and that the leading man "will be contributing to the story."

The site's scooper claims Black revealed that, "The studio was not happy with the direction Iron Man 2 took. Iron Man 3 will not be another 'two men in iron suits fighting each other' film. Instead, it will be more like a Tom Clancy-thriller, with Iron Man fighting real world villians [sic]."

They added that Black also said Iron Man 3 won't feature any other Marvel heroes or crossovers as Iron Man 2 did.

Meanwhile, Downey sat down with MTV on the set of Sherlock Holmes 2 where he opened up to them about Jon Favreau not coming back to helm Iron Man 3.

"It is weird. I think there's always a closure to everything," said Downey. "This will all come to an end one day, and I think the thing is to just really enjoy it while you have it."

Edited by Retro_Link

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/122/1222597p1.html

Who Is the Villain in Iron Man 3?

It looks like Iron Man has found a villain for his third solo film. But it appears that the big screen may still be eluding the Armored Avenger's arch nemesis, the Mandarin.

Variety reports today that actor Ben Kingsley is in final talks to play the bad guy in old Shellhead's third go-around. And while Marvel is not commenting on the matter, the trade's inside sources "denied that the character would be the Mandarin."

459-bk_1334008450.jpg

Of course, the original Iron Man film set up the notion of the Mandarin with the terrorist group known as the Ten Rings -- a real-Marvel-world-reference to the villain's magical rings from the comics. They were behind the kidnapping of Tony Stark which led to his becoming Iron Man, and director Jon Favreau had said in the past that he was considering actually bringing the villain into the third film.

But Favreau isn't making Iron Man 3 now -- Shane Black is. And according to Variety, he's casting Kingsley in "a role that revolves around the spread of a virus through nanobots." This tracks with what we've heard previously, namely that the film will be based on the Warren Ellis storyline "Extremis" from the comics.

Production on the film begins in May in North Carolina.

I'm quite surprised because I thought Mandarin was the obvious route, now that the magical side of the Marvel Universe has been established in the films.

But can't say I'm dissapointed as I don't know whether Mandarin is actually any good; but it's strange given he's Iron Man's nemesis, that he's absent from what you would expect from a massive third movie. I guess they're not looking at concluding the story here in any way and will be looking at moving on to an Iron Man 4.

So what villians could Ben Kingsley play? (he's a bit old... are a lot of Starks villians old?)

And is the Extremis storyline any good?... if that's what they're potentially basing the film on.

They've gotta be careful not to make it too dark/real worldly, and maintain the comic book fun and humour that's defined all these films up til now (except the Hulk, which was meh).

Edited by Retro_Link

I was never keen on the idea of Mandarin in the films as unless done very differently, it would still just end up as villain vs hero blah blah except he's magical.

Not read Extremis but heard it's great and would make for a more interesting film storyline I would guess.

Extremis is awesome, it is definitely quite dark, I read it about a month ago for the first time. Very good....but they need to weave a proper decent villain into it.

....but they need to weave a proper decent villain into it.
Who is there they could use?... Who was it in the comic story?

It was a kind of generic man, who gets infected with Extremis and so becomes really hard/formidable, but he wasn't a named character or anything. It was more about the conspiracy/company/virus etc.

I would hope and like to see Justin Hammer return.

A good villain could be Blizzard. Or Melter. Or Radioactive Man. Or a member of the Stane posse. There are definitely options. A lot of them are silly in the comics, but with good adaptation, they could be really great.

Yeah Ezekiel Stane could be good, linking it back to the first movie. Oooo, or Madame Masque. I quite like how shes been used in the comics the past few years so she could be an ex of Iron Man's that got scarred and went nuts in the movie. Possibly the blonde reporter from the previous ones :p

Ezekiel Stane teaming up with, and thus getting decent armor from + Justin Hammer + his dads plans + Extremis storyline = recipe for epic win.

That would be awesome but I wonder if it would happen as I dont think Justin Hammer was that well liked in Iron Man 2 by a lot of people that saw the movie.

Plus I think if its Kingsley cast then it'd have to be a new Stane like Obediah's brother or something.

I'd rather see someone like Madame Masque than a 'silly' villain adapted, like Blizzard. We kinda already got that with Whiplash. Some of those kinda enemies could be minor roles or something.

Although, if you're currently reading Iron Man, all his rogues have just been hired and tech-ized by Mandarin and the Hammers. And they are all fucking sick as hell and not silly any more.

Fuck. Living Laser, YES.

Ironman_rogues.jpg

You remember what issue that arc started on? I might give that a read, dropped Iron Man quite a while ago.

Errrmmm lemme see. Its about 4 or 5 issues into this massive arc where Mandarin is fucking him in unbelievably loads of ways. I think Invincible Iron Man has been fantastic since it started, particularly the tiny Doc Ock arc was good. Anyway yeah....about 4 or 5 issues back. Okay just checked, Demon Part 1 was issue 510. I would maybe go back a couple issues further just to see the seeds be sewn.

as someones who's pretty interested in the comic world, but isn't actually invested in it.

Read Invincible! SPAMBOT4000 is the latest convert. Or read Invincible Iron Man! Its about 40 or so issues strong at the moment, you love Iron Man. Do ittttt. :)

We should post about the best beginngers/different genre books now anyway. COMIC BOOK FANS,.....ASSEMBLE!