N-Europe

Yoko Ono

Frank

Right so if I recall correctly, tomorrow would be John Lennon's 70th birthday so it's a bit of a coincidence how this all ties in.

A few days ago, I just found a bunch of videos about Yoko Ono and, being a little intrigued, decided to give them a watch to see what her whole thing was about. At this stage, I honestly didn't know who she was, being blissfully ignorant :), so wikipedia'd her and was pretty impressed with her life etc.

I'm still extremely unsure what I think about her though. Of course we could just go down the familiar route of talking about the subjectivity of music and that it depends on what I think about her etc. but I just want to know what you think.

I was going to just post one of her performances/songs in the "rate the above song" or the "Stunning things" thread but I want to get a bit more of a response towards her.

I love how she stands for feminism, gay rights and peace yet I've heard many saying that she was a bitch. So, I'm confused :p

Her singing is quite...unique...but in a cool way, kinda like Joanna Newsom.

Anyway, I'll post a couple of things.

Extremely weird but I absolutely LOVE this performance. Just so strange!

Please don't compare her to Joanna Newsom. *pulls face*

There's truths and then there's lies.

Anyway.

I like bits of her music. Walking On Thin Ice. And parts of her album from last year (this year?) are very cool. I like Sun Is Down (didn't know she performed it with GaGa - but Yoko is an important an influence on people like her as Madonna, Grace Jones etc).

I hate when people go on about the Beatles RE; her. Who gives a fuck? Her art or music or whatever has nothing to do with them.

You see she's called a "bitch" because most people blame her for breaking up the beatles

Oh, never knew that. I read that she didn't exactly get on with Paul but didn't know people actually blamed her for actually breaking up the Beatles. Seems pretty daft to me.

Please don't compare her to Joanna Newsom. *pulls face*

Well, I didn't mean in the sense that they're similar. I know that they are near polar-opposite in some respects :p

Both of them can have quite strange, albeit very good, ways of singing so just thought I'd throw in a Joanna Newsom "comparison".

If you liked that Gaga performance I'd recommend looking up "It's been very Hard" and "Give peace a Chance". (They are the other songs that I'm aware of that they sang)

It does require a certain 'taste' to enjoy them though :p

Let's be honest here.

Please Please Me, With The Beatles, A Hard Day's Night, Beatles For Sale, Help! and Let It Be are quite generic and uninteresting, with the occasional exception. If you chopped them all up and used the best cuts you'd actually have a pretty good album. But overall neither is anywhere near being great.

However... Rubber Soul, White Album and Abbey Road are some of the best albums ever made, easily cracking the top 50 and really have stood the test of time year after year.

Now, Revolver and Sgt. Pepper are absolute and immaculate perfection. I say this without any shadow of a doubt in my mind. They're in a league of their own. They pretty much created that kind of 100% perfect tag one usually applies on all the Dark Side Of The Moons, Exile on Main St.s Pet Sounds and Homogenics of this world and are completely beyond any form of reproach.

They are still pretty amazing though :p

What I don't get though, Wesley, you say she's over-rated?

She wouldn't be the most mainstream women when it comes to her music and from Wikipedia she hasn't got much 'hits'. Maybe I'm just being superficial and your talking about the good comments she gets?

Most comments from the Gaga video love to exclaim that she sounds like she's drowning :hmm:

I'd just like to see why you think she's over-rated.

She was just here recently, to turn on the Imagine Peace Tower dedicated to John Lennon that she got build here.

Did not care enough to attend the concert she had here last weekend, but from the footage I saw, she has a lot of energy for someone her age.