NEurope
Sméagol

Trolljegeren / Troll Hunter

Since there seem to be plenty people sharing my taste in films.. Let me create (I think) my first thread in the general forum.. My brother tipped me of about this film.

So ehm, a Norwegian mockumentary about troll hunters:

And more revealing:

I hope it gets an international release quick.

Edited by Mr_Odwin

I want to watch that, it looks cool. Anyone know if it's going to have English subs or anything?

I want to watch that, it looks cool. Anyone know if it's going to have English subs or anything?

If it ever goes international, I can't imagine it won't.

Was that in the second clip supposed to be a troll or a giant?

Don't know how trolls are depicted in the Scandinavian mythology, but from the "standard" fantasy fare (LotR, Warhammer) I had the impression they were supposed to stand two or three times the size of a human. The thing in that clip looked rather like the northern version of a modern Godzilla movie. ;)

I don't know anymore about it than you do (now), I've only seen the teasers, and they mention an October release in Norway. All I know is that for now at least, it won't be coming out in The Netherlands the next 2 months, but that sounds perfectly logical.

For me personally, I think I may have a chance to see this at the end of January, at the International Film Festival Rotterdam, here in, well, Rotterdam, as this seems like the perfect candidate for a festival. If not there, I'm pretty sure it'll end up at the Imagine film festival in Amsterdam, which is more focussed on genre films, sci-fi, fantasy and horror mainly, so this would be a perfect fit. But that festival is in April.

Of course, there's perhaps the option of a Norwegian DVD / Blu-ray release with English subtitles, I don't know if that's a common feature for Norwegian releases, I don't own one yet ;). Spanish and Chinese releases for example often include them (yay for me), but French releases usually don't (boo). Someone from Norway who could tell me? :p

If it ever goes international, I can't imagine it won't.

Some kind Internet dungeon keeper will likely sub it. I live in wait of that day.

Hell, even as a Dane, I could probably produce a reasonable set of subtitles. :heh:

Regarding the size of trolls, the Scandinavian ones are definitely NOT like the ones seen in classic fantasy like Lord of the Rings. They don't even look like them. In fact, most Scandinavian trolls are quite friendly and even cute-looking - nothing like the ugly, green, nasty trolls seen in classic fantasy. And while depictions of them may vary, trolls of the size seen in the clip are certainly not unheard of.

It really depends on what you are reading, from what I have read, trolls seems cute and all in children's fiction, but reading the really old ones they seem a bit more "dumb and will eat you."

It really depends on what you are reading, from what I have read, trolls seems cute and all in children's fiction, but reading the really old ones they seem a bit more "dumb and will eat you."

Ah, yeah, I guess you're right. They're often marketed as cute to tourists, that's what I thought of. Still, in any case, it's far from Tolkien's trolls.

My image of trolls comes from The Billy Goats' Gruff, ie. twice as tall as a person with a long nose. They are unfriendly and will eat you, even if they're not quite as aggressive as those in Lord of the Rings.

Personally, I'm really into cryptozoology, which is the study of unknown animals - not mythological ones, more like surviving prehistoric creatures - so this is right up my alley. I'd love to watch it with subtitles.

My image of trolls comes from The Billy Goats' Gruff, ie. twice as tall as a person with a long nose. They are unfriendly and will eat you, even if they're not quite as aggressive as those in Lord of the Rings.

Personally, I'm really into cryptozoology, which is the study of unknown animals - not mythological ones, more like surviving prehistoric creatures - so this is right up my alley. I'd love to watch it with subtitles.

Well, according to Wikipedia, "Cryptozoology (from Greek κρυπτός, kryptos, "hidden" + zoology; literally, "study of hidden animals") refers to the search for animals which are considered to be legendary or otherwise nonexistent by mainstream biology. This includes looking for living examples of animals that are considered extinct, such as dinosaurs; animals whose existence lacks physical support but which appear in myths, legends, or are reported, such as Bigfoot and Chupacabra; and wild animals dramatically outside of their normal geographic ranges, such as phantom cats or "ABCs" (an initialism commonly used by cryptozoologists that stands for Alien Big Cats)."

Meh, as far as I'm concerned, Scandinavian trolls look like Hugo.

As for the film... it looks interesting. I'm fond of obscure folklore and mythology, and the film seems well made. Also, non-English films tend to be a pleasant change of scenery.

I don't know anymore about it than you do (now), I've only seen the teasers, and they mention an October release in Norway. All I know is that for now at least, it won't be coming out in The Netherlands the next 2 months, but that sounds perfectly logical.

For me personally, I think I may have a chance to see this at the end of January, at the International Film Festival Rotterdam, here in, well, Rotterdam, as this seems like the perfect candidate for a festival. If not there, I'm pretty sure it'll end up at the Imagine film festival in Amsterdam, which is more focussed on genre films, sci-fi, fantasy and horror mainly, so this would be a perfect fit. But that festival is in April.

Of course, there's perhaps the option of a Norwegian DVD / Blu-ray release with English subtitles, I don't know if that's a common feature for Norwegian releases, I don't own one yet ;). Spanish and Chinese releases for example often include them (yay for me), but French releases usually don't (boo). Someone from Norway who could tell me? :p

The Troll Hunter will have english subtitles included in the DVD-release! :)

Well, according to Wikipedia, "Cryptozoology (from Greek κρυπτός, kryptos, "hidden" + zoology; literally, "study of hidden animals") refers to the search for animals which are considered to be legendary or otherwise nonexistent by mainstream biology. This includes looking for living examples of animals that are considered extinct, such as dinosaurs; animals whose existence lacks physical support but which appear in myths, legends, or are reported, such as Bigfoot and Chupacabra; and wild animals dramatically outside of their normal geographic ranges, such as phantom cats or "ABCs" (an initialism commonly used by cryptozoologists that stands for Alien Big Cats)."

Yep, that's what I meant. It's not about believing in mythological creatures like trolls or dragons, but this troll hunter film still appeals to me as a sort of "monster expedition" documentary.

Yep, that's what I meant. It's not about believing in mythological creatures like trolls or dragons, but this troll hunter film still appeals to me as a sort of "monster expedition" documentary.

Ah, I see. :) I don't believe in paranormal stuff, either, but I still find it fascinating, and I like the focus on Scandinavian lore here.

Ah, I see. :) I don't believe in paranormal stuff, either, but I still find it fascinating, and I like the focus on Scandinavian lore here.

So do I. There's so much richness in European legends in general.

The cryptozoologists are basically divided into two camps - those who believe all these monsters exist in other dimensions; and the more scientific ones, who believe any unknown creature has to fall in with existing rules (ie. has to be real!) I am with the latter, and as such I do not "believe" in any cryptozoological animals. I also accept there is hardly any evidence at all.

However, I am very interested in them and I think there could still be large, unknown animals, especially in the seas.

So do I. There's so much richness in European legends in general.

The cryptozoologists are basically divided into two camps - those who believe all these monsters exist in other dimensions; and the more scientific ones, who believe any unknown creature has to fall in with existing rules (ie. has to be real!) I am with the latter, and as such I do not "believe" in any cryptozoological animals. I also accept there is hardly any evidence at all.

However, I am very interested in them and I think there could still be large, unknown animals, especially in the seas.

Yeah, I know. I think all paranormal fields have some small scientific group of people who investigate these phenomena, but are strictly scientific in their beliefs and methods.

Yeah, I know. I think all paranormal fields have some small scientific group of people who investigate these phenomena, but are strictly scientific in their beliefs and methods.

True, and I always favour those methods. However, it could be argued that cryptozoology is not (or needn't be) paranormal at all.

For example, scientists declared a prehistoric fish, the Coelacanth, to have been extinct for 65 million years. Then it turned up! However unlikely, what if the Plesiosaur or the giant ape, Gigantopithecus, also still existed? To me that would not be paranormal at all.

Sorry for taking your thread off-topic, Dannyboy.

Wow, this look rather interesting, I must say!

I'm a norwegian and haven't even seen or heard about this. But I don't watch a lot of movies either. ;p