NEurope
Dante

Dark Souls

Never played the first game myself. I'm considering buying a ps3 for media hub duties under the telly so might get it. Thing is Dark is such a MASSIVE game, I can already see myself going for at least two more characters, probably a pvp build too.

The collectors edition was ?9.97 in Currys a couple of weeks ago. I might go past on the way home and see if it still is.

Is this easier to get into than Demon's Souls? I played that for around an hour and hated it, then sent it back.

Edit: The main problems I had were the hugely complicated inventory stuff.

tbh you'll probably run in to the same issues: Item menu is guff and the system is....daunting. That said, the game is designed around community interaction so if you have any questions, there's a wealth of info around, not to mention a few of us here who play a lot.

I don't get what is so difficult about the inventory stuff. You assign something to your left and right hand, then use L or R depending upon hand to use it...

The only confusing thing is that weapons often have symbols next to them instead of saying what the actual stats/stat requirements are. But that's fairly easy to work out after a little while, but obviously like most games you should give it more than 30 minutes.

lol @ nerd jibes at Dark Souls. This game is like the anti-nerd. Only true men emerge from this shit.

I should point out that it took me over a full playthough to get to grips with the inventory system from the first Mass Effect.

Unlike this series however, Mass Effect is not worth your time or money.

There, I said it.

Unlike this series however, Mass Effect is not worth your time or money.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over my excitement for Mass Effect 3.

(but you're a PS3 gamer, so have gotten shafted with the bad versions, so I forgive you)

Mass Effect 2 PS3 was a great version. It allowed you to have all the input of the decision of Mass Effect 1, without having to actually play Mass Effect 1. Plus Free DLC.

Hahaha

seriously, though: I genuinely think this is my favourite game this gen. I think you'd get a kick out of it.

Plus: It's cheap

Alright man, you convinced me. I've always been one for a challenge anyway. Can't do it right now though cause I've got way too much work to do/ already playing too much TF2, but soon. Maybe I'll hit you up on XBL to whine when my testes are fully in it's grip :heh:

There is actually a much harder game than this on PS3. If you want to feel suicidal, hit up Catherine. That game isn't funny, I wouldn't wish platinuming that on anyone.

Fuck that- I did the last level of Rayman: Origins last night- significantly harder than DS!

Truth is, this game aint that hard. It's tough, yeah, and punishing, but what really sets it apart from most games these days is that it doesn't treat you like a moron. If you pay attention, don't run around like an idiot and actually use some lateral thinking, you'll be more than capable of dealing with the challenge.

This is a game to be learned. As such, it's very different to 90% of games today that are terrified of you making mistakes or failing, but that can only be a good thing.

Unfortunately, it's couched in the same nerdgasm bullshit as every other RPG; levelling up, skill trees, grinding and loot hoarding. I get the appeal in a game that is seriously difficult, but yields to your efforts to learn its systems, and for that reason, I'm seriously looking forward to playing Ninja Gaiden Black again when I get my Vita. I prefer games in which there's a possibility of success through observation and instant reflex, rather than what I've seen and heard of Dark Souls, which seems more to do with trial, error and inevitable death, as well as poor signposting of important elements like encumberance, or the fact that curses have a cumulative effect and can only be removed using a specific item, found in a specific place... just does not seem gratifying to me.

But, I'll try it.

I prefer games in which there's a possibility of success through observation and instant reflex

Which is exactly what Dark Souls is. It's all about observing the enemy and environment, not rushing through and not even necessarily doing any of the level grinding, item hoarding 'bullshit' that you mention.

Levels and items aren't even necessary. You usually die within one or two hits whether you have good equipment or not. Aside from shielding, which is important, but this can be done with any basic, easily obtainable shield. Some guy did a fairly quick run through of Dark Souls showing you don't need to grind anything and it's all doable if you think carefully.

It's not necessarily trial and error unless you're not good at working out how to not die.

Alright then, I shall give it a look in, and get back to y'all. Shame it's not on Pc, otherwise I'd be able to download it on the spot =/

In actual game new: I'm pretty lost in the dukes archive, I have no humanity and could really, really do with kindling the bonfire here. Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiss!

You stuck in the prison area after the forced death against the boss? There should be a lever somewhere below to open the door at the top. Pyomancy is good against the squidlike people.

I got out of there, but it's a tough joint. I only had one try but at least I found the bonfire. The hardest thing now is the humanity problem because I frankly have no idea how to get any more and I really don't like running on 5 estus.

Game arrived today, definitely helped having played its predecessor because they have kept everything near enough the same. The world the raven thing takes you to at the start is noticeably quite bright and doesn't quite have the atmosphere of the Demon's Souls beginning but I can see it's set to change.

Oh yeah, I ended my first session after clearing out the Jason and the Argonauts-esque area, moving forwards and then seeing a fucking gigaton skeleton run at me with his 4 buddies. Probably didn't have to run back to the camp fire but I have an essay to do. Bad timing really.

Edited by dwarf

lol yeah that place leads to the catacombs. Bring/make a divine weapon for that place, the skeletons in the tomb get back up when you kill them if you don't find and hunt these necromancer dudes.

Firelink Shrine is one of the few light/outside areas of the game.

Btw easiest place to get humanity is after you clear the catacombs, you carry on to the tomb of giants. When you get to this swamp with baby skeletons they are ridiculously easy to kill and often drop humanity. Boost your item discovery rate and go nuts, you can get 99 humanity before moving on (use like 30 humanity while there to boost your item discovery too).

Well worth boosting all your bonfires since bonfires stay boosted on NG+.

Just got this on PC and got a patch fix for the resolution constraint and now that I've got it running at 1080p I can say that it seems pretty damn atmospheric, eerie and exciting so far. Unfortunately, getting murdered five times in a row on my way in New Londo Ruins does its share to put a dampener on your excitement for a new experience, especially since you have to trek all the way back on a corpse run before you can even attempt an alternate route. What a bummer.