N-Europe

New Zealand Story

Retro_Link

This was one difficult and tense game!

Back in the day I had it on the Amiga 500 and I'm not sure how far I got... but I don't think it was very far... I was pretty young at the time, but still!... It was hard!

There was so much going on and it was so easy to die and there were scary stressful evils coming at you from all over the place! Argh!!

But it's a retro classic! :D

I watched this vid first thing this morning and I was thinking just the same thing as you Retro... 'I didn't get very far' haha. It was intense to say the least, but at the same time sucha charming and beautiful game.

If you rushed you would always bump into something, if you took your time you could be fine, but then the devil would come and kill you. Either way, you were screwed.

I love the term 'hardcore' gamer, because screw HD, blood, gore, in game boobs and swearing, this was when game were hardcore! And trust me, only a truly hardcore gamer could have got through The NewZealand Story!

I used to have this game on my Spectrum 48k, could never get past the first Whale boss- was super tricky.

I purchased it when it was released on the DS and it seems the difficultly was dialed down, or I've got a lot better at playing games. It was pretty easy to beat.

Fun times.

I owned this on the Spectrum too, it was super hard, but very addictive. One hit and you're dead and back to the start!

I remember that I got quite far, but I can't remember how far exactly. It's all a little fuzzy now.

Watching that vid almost gave me a fit. I can imagine the Speccy version being easier for not being so distracting!

[ATTACH]3387[/ATTACH]

Colourful!

Man just hearing that opening level music and those sound effects tenses me up! :D

Those opening levels became all too familiar... and yet never any easier! right?!

Hardcore gaming at it's max!

---

Awesome classic, this, that similarly styled rainbow game (can't remember the name)

Rainbow Island!

Where you had to get to the top of the level before the rising water level!

I had that on the Amiga 500 aswell, I got considerably further on that game!

I remember a vampire boss (was it?) for the Halloween levels... not sure if that's where I got up to or if that's just the furthest I can remember right now!

Edited by Retro_Link

I had that on the Amiga 500 aswell, I got considerably further on that game!

I remember a vampire boss (was it?) for the Halloween levels... not sure if that's where I got up to or if that's just the furthest I can remember right now!

Sorry to digress from the topic, but YES, I remember the vampire boss for one simple reason - he was diamond hard. It took me probably a hundred goes before I killed him.

[ATTACH]3395[/ATTACH]

Rainbow Island! Thanks, what a classic game that was.

Bubble Bobble on the NES is still one of my favourite retro titles though. Stunning gameplay and gorgeous graphics. And when you find that secret door at the end, and realise you're only half way through?! Genius.

(Sorry to go OT)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...