NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

The Sick Bay

As mentioned in the N-E Meet Up thread, I've been troubled by a bad chest recently. It originally started out as just a blocked nose, then it seemed to die for a week. Then, about a week before the meet, I came home from work and suffered a massive coughing fit. It's been on-going since.

So, I thought of this. The Sick Bay, you could mention if you're currently sick, and maybe people could suggest remedies and stuff to help them feel better. My Doctor is complete arse and just prescribes paracetamol for everything. It doesn't help for this. I've tried a little honey before I go to bed and that seems to help a little. Any other ideas?

Also, on my back I feel "aware" of a certain area. The middle to upper left side of my back. It feels colder and it feels wet when it actually isn't.

I currently have a spout of the man flu (sore throat, phlem, blocked nose).

My remedies so far that appear to be working is max strength lemsip every few hours and cherry soothers in between to break up that cattarrh. I have also been taking Echinacea which has definitely helped build up my immune system over the past year as the man flu appears to be going already after a few days where as it usually sticks around for weeks on end.

So my advice to you my Flinky is to get some Echinacea in tablet or drink form and also hit up the Vitamin C (oranges or suppliment). Also attack it with some hot soothing drinks such as honey and lemon or lemsips etc.

If you're not a lover of drinks like that then hit up some flu tablets or ibuprofen. If anything they'll help you sleeps :)

ARGH I typed a tl;dr and I lost it >___>

long story short: hot or cold. Cures most pain. Hot milk with honey, or ice ice ice cold water.

I had a very horrendous chesty infection thing for a year that my doctor never bothered to investigate. This was like well over 8 years ago, and only now am I going... I might have a weakness in my muscles that causes breathing problems >_>

I think I'm too much for the forum sick bay, just give me the lethal injection dammit :heh:

edit: that echinacea stuff is good but you have to have a continuous dose of it in your system for it to take effect (like taking it daily) or else it wont work

Edited by Raining_again

I tend to be quite lucky when it comes to illness, I only really get cold every now and again.

Not really an illness but I do get hayfever, sometimes quite badly. When I was younger my eyes would just swell shut if it was a particularly bad day.

Edited by Happenstance

I currently have a spout of the man flu (sore throat, phlem, blocked nose).

My remedies so far that appear to be working is max strength lemsip every few hours and cherry soothers in between to break up that cattarrh. I have also been taking Echinacea which has definitely helped build up my immune system over the past year as the man flu appears to be going already after a few days where as it usually sticks around for weeks on end.

So my advice to you my Flinky is to get some Echinacea in tablet or drink form and also hit up the Vitamin C (oranges or suppliment). Also attack it with some hot soothing drinks such as honey and lemon or lemsips etc.

If you're not a lover of drinks like that then hit up some flu tablets or ibuprofen. If anything they'll help you sleeps :)

This Echinacea sounds good. How do you even pronounce that?

Cheer for the tips, Sir Platty. Very useful. :)

It's the stuff I take too, those tablets (though you can find it in liquid form as well). I told you before to get them but you never listen to me. =(

I find that hot water with some honey in it works wonders for sore throats. Earlier this year I lost my voice for about a week, except after drinking warm water I could talk for a bit then I'd lose it again.

Currently I caught whatever my mom had/has and I'm getting stuffed up. Haven't started coughing yet, but I'm sure I will soon.

It's the stuff I take too, those tablets (though you can find it in liquid form as well). I told you before to get them but you never listen to me. =(

Firstly, Listen to your woman!!

Secondly, I'm not sure how it's pronounced. I say EC-IN-NAY-SHA. As Ine says you can get them in tablet or liquid form. I always get the tablets as the liquid stuff doesnt taste all that nice.

Edited by Platty

I'd say for me the most useful thing for colds is definitely lemsip, instant relief just breathing them in!

For me it tends to be back pain, my parents bought me a tempa mattress and a decent computer chair but it doesn't seem to do much good, sitting in the 'right' posture causes me more issues and personally don't do it because it feels worse. Ideas?

I get the odd cold, minor hayfever. I've got a condition in my knees, schlatter or something? I hate Lemsip, everybody else says it's awesome and works great, but i just hate the taste.

Also, on my back I feel "aware" of a certain area. The middle to upper left side of my back. It feels colder and it feels wet when it actually isn't.

Hm, does it feel like the skin on the area has suddenly become overly sensitive to touch? 'Cause I've experienced that once in a while, often on my arms. No idea what it's about, but it goes away relatively quickly.

In general I don't suffer much from sickness. I sometimes get hayfever, and I usually get a common cold a number of times each year. They're so common I can almost literally follow the symptoms on a timetable.

Ohhh, I didn't realise you meant that! I know now. Yaaay.

Hm, does it feel like the skin on the area has suddenly become overly sensitive to touch? 'Cause I've experienced that once in a while, often on my arms. No idea what it's about, but it goes away relatively quickly.

It's not so much that it's sensitive. It's not sore. I'm just aware of that area now. Like it's wet, but it isn't wet. It feels like the area is a lot colder in that particular spot than the rest of my back.

Last night was awful. Tried watching a film with my Mum, pretty much coughed all the way through it. Didn't sleep until the late hours of this morning. I'm going to be on the honey tonight! My Mum thinks it may be asthma now. :(

It's not so much that it's sensitive. It's not sore. I'm just aware of that area now. Like it's wet, but it isn't wet. It feels like the area is a lot colder in that particular spot than the rest of my back.

What I'm talking about is not really sore, either. It's a bit hard to explain. It's like ... like all your nerve ends on that particular spot have suddenly developed ESP, and you can feel every single atom even considering touching your skin. There's not pain involved, you can just feel that spot so much more than any other place on your body.

I dunno, it might be something totally different. Just sounds a bit like the same. ::shrug:

ARGH I typed a tl;dr and I lost it >___>

long story short: hot or cold. Cures most pain. Hot milk with honey, or ice ice ice cold water.

I had a very horrendous chesty infection thing for a year that my doctor never bothered to investigate. This was like well over 8 years ago, and only now am I going... I might have a weakness in my muscles that causes breathing problems >_>

I think I'm too much for the forum sick bay, just give me the lethal injection dammit :heh:

edit: that echinacea stuff is good but you have to have a continuous dose of it in your system for it to take effect (like taking it daily) or else it wont work

I also think so.

I get the common cold once, maybe twice a year if that. Usually lasts 3 days or so, then i'm better. Don't suffer from hayfever or anything either, which is a relief.

I have started to have Orange juice daily, which apparantly reduces how often you get a cold but not the duration.

I strained my neck pretty badly this morning... urgh. Had to take a half day leave because I don't think I could have stood another 4 hours of sitting typing with a bad neck >_<

Came home and went to bed with my lovely magnetic heat pad! I feel a lot better, but now I just feel groggy as shit after going to sleep. :(