N-Europe

Green Lantern

Happenstance

Just got back from watching it.

Honestly thought it was awesome.

I mean sure, it wasn't a game-changer, but it entertained, it did it on a great scale and it looked good doing it. What is there to complain about? Can't understand the low low scores it has at all.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from seeing it. Overall I really enjoyed it but I can certainly see where the complaints about odd pacing and the feeling that certain scenes were just missing from the movie came from.

I thought Ryan Reynolds did a good job as Hal Jordan but one thing did keep pulling me out of the movie a bit and it wasnt really his fault. There were just these moments every now and again that because it was Ryan Reynolds in the role, I kept expecting a joke and none came. It wasnt even that one was needed, it was just because it was him.

I think overall I thought Blake Lively did a good job as Carol Ferris but there just seemed to be one or two moments where she was a bit iffy.

For the most part the effects were good but once again there were one or two moments where they looked a tad ropey.

Oh yeah, whats with his best friend being Moss from the IT Crowd??? :p

The missing scene complaints I mentioned earlier. The biggest being not showing Abin Sur actually crashing on Earth. It may have been a decision they made not to show it but it was quite jarring, just one moment he is in space and the next he is on Earth.

The other major one was Hal having the conversation with his buddies about Paralax and then suddenly he is on Oa. I understand that was probably done for suprise at him appearing infront of the Guardians but it didnt work.

Oh yeah I wanted to ask, did anyone see John Stewart? (possibly already talked about, I havent read the spoiler tags yet) I assume he was at the test of the new planes at the beginning but I forgot to look, I know he is supposed to be in the movie.

I liked the way Paralax looked most of the time, only time I didnt was when you got a wide shot of him chasing Hal through space. I also liked the fact that he was basically just possessing a guardian and that wasnt his real form/face.

There was one bit at the end as well when Hal was being held from the sun by the two jets that I could have sworn I was looking at Kyle Rayner, made me a bit sad as well as I just prefer that character so much to Hal.

As usual there will be more i'll wanna talk about but I cant remember it right now.

As a Green Lantern and movie fan id give it a 7/10. It was very enjoyable but some obvious problems that cant really be ignored.

I didn't know John Stewart was in it. I might go see it again soon/would very much like to.

Just got back from watching it.

Honestly thought it was awesome.

I mean sure, it wasn't a game-changer, but it entertained, it did it on a great scale and it looked good doing it. What is there to complain about? Can't understand the low low scores it has at all.

Yaaaay. And same here. Like....I understand some of the flaws, both from GL fans (not enough Sinestro/Corps etc) to non fans (pacing a little off), but some things I simply DO NOT GET. At all.

- Blake Lively bad actor in it. Whut....no....she is...I don't even....I seriously 100% do not get that at all. The relationship between her and Hal was fucking perfect. Bit of a dick slighty vs cares about her job a lot/reigning him in. Like...yeah.

- Bad Dialogue. Some was a little cheesy, but it is noway...NO WAY fucking near how bad people are saying.

- Everything else etc.

- Bad Dialogue. Some was a little cheesy, but it is noway...NO WAY fucking near how bad people are saying.

It was definitely cheesy, but... it was straight out of comic books. More than any superhero film I've seen, this was a comic brought to life.

Saw it tonight. Hm.

I enjoyed (it was obviously 'bad', but one can love bad things), but like...worst pacing ever. I saw it with the best person to see a bad film with though so it was fine. Having our own whispered commentary. Probably really annoying for other people/but it wasn't that full.

I just lol'd at so much. Chair is right - channels the essence of Fantastic Four 2. When Carol runs off (to go do the missiles) it just looks like she's running away ('Oh fuck this shit!'). Whenever Amanda Waller appears. Yes. So many "Yes! *claps*" bits. But in a...wtflol way. Her backstory. She's so needed for a sequel for that to gain relevance.

If it had real pacing I could look at it. And yeah the dialogue was just typical/standard/nothing rather than bad.

Felt very short, or undercooked. Possibly due to the bad pacing too. I was in two minds about Blake Lively.

At first I hated no one really caring about aliens, but then thought 'Oh well this could easily be the DC universe where superbeings are established, I now love the feeling.' Then Waller makes a point of the fact Abin Sur was the first ever E.T found. I was madonnagif'ing.

I want a sequel and would be glad it got one the same way I was glad Fantastic Four got a sequel. But only if they get Blake Lively to become Star Saphire.

Bad but diverting/I'd never recommend when Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer does it well. / 10

Edited by Paj!

SEQUEL! WOOOOOT!

Warner Bros. To Pursue ‘Green Lantern’ Sequel

1:23 PM 6/26/2011 by Pamela McClintock

The studio won't walk away from the superhero franchise, despite the film’s soft box office performance. Warner Bros. is already planning a sequel to Ryan Reynolds' superhero pic Green Lantern, despite the film’s soft performance at the box office.

Sources say Warners still believes in the franchise, even if the studio is “somewhat disappointed” with Green Lantern’s result. Over the weekend, Green Lantern fell a steep 66% at the domestic box office, grossing $18.4 million for a cume of $89.3 million. That’s a big decline.

Warner Bros. president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman said the movie is settling in, pointing out that fanboy pics often see a significant drop-off in their second weekends.

Still, Green Lantern fell off more than recent superhero pics Thor and X-Men: First Class. Thor dropped 47% in its second weekend, while First Class dropped 56%. Similar films that have seen the same sort of dip that Green Lantern did include Hulk, which dropped nearly 70% in its second outing. Green Lantern cost $200 million to produce before a sizeable marketing spend (rival studios say it was one of the most expensive on record). Warners, preparing for the end of Harry Potter, needs new franchises, so was willing to invest big in Green Lantern.

A formidable obstacle standing in Green Lantern’s way now is Paramount’s Transformers: Dark of the Moon, which opens in theaters around the globe on Tuesday night.

The Green Lantern Corps

The Universe is a dangerous place. In Sector 1416, the powerful being known as Atrocitus is encased in a powerful crystal. The Zamarons stand guard over the powerful creature, however his rage was too much to overcome and now this bloodthirsty force is out for revenge. Across the universe Sinestro becomes weary of the Guardians rules. Believing that drastic action must be taken against Atrocitus, Sinestro bands together a team of renegade Lanterns, including Hal Jordan to take the fight to Atrocitus, however the Zamarons want their captive back and they will use the power of Love to help them.

The prospect of Blake Lively as a Star Sapphire.....god. Depending on how they do it...literally....could be...win.

He loves the feeling.

The first two girls you posted (in the same image) look great in the existing costume, but yes, they should get an 'organic' redesign if they make it into the movies. The costume is already basically a naked woman anyway... :p

Finally saw this. Thought it was better than Thor, tbh. Obviously Thor was a much better made film (almost to the point of being clinically boring, but not quite). Got to say the action sequences were ace and I wanted more.

Definitely doesn't deserve the current 27% on RT when there are way worse films out there.

It could have been a way better film but I'm sure this was worth it so they can reboot it in 15 years time when it will be epic.

Was it just me or did the film seem amazingly short?

Yeah its not a "terrible" film as a film, but it was hugely entertaining.

I mean....I seriously don't get soooo fucking much of all the criticism, but out of everything I just...completely can only understand two things as being "Ooooh, popular critic said X...lets all agree with him" -

The dialogue - Wasn't stand outly bad AT ALL, don't care what anyone says.

Blake Lively - What? She was great/fine. Her relationship with Hal Jordan was awesome. No chemistry? Not all relationships are a fucking skip in the roses. Its how they are in the comics, and she portrayed Carol extremely well.

I kind of need to see again, but not quite sure when I'll be able to now.

The dialogue - Wasn't stand outly bad AT ALL, don't care what anyone says.

Ah c'mon it was. Loved the film but some lines just don't stand up so well on the big screen as they do in your head when reading a comic book. All the shouting of the darkness of fear in your heart and the courage and will to overcome it. It was a bit too obvious. The characters just didn't seem likely to say those things, so it came across too forced.

Like when you're taking an exam at school and you think you better put all the important words from the question into the answer so it seems relevant.

Yeah it was cheesy, but it wasn't bad. Critics/bad reviews say that it was like...the worst script ever or whatever, and I think they just need to get a grip and actually realise what the movie is about.

Its like watching Titanic and complaining there were too many scenes with water.