NEurope
Daft

Killzone 3

As you play more you will see the flaws with guns and class abilities. Not to mention faulty level design and the new spawn system.

Boo, I want to play now.

You do not want to. Its horrible right now. They focused so much on dumbing it down that it is not the same game anymore.

Edited by Choze

What are the problems exactly?

Also, I can't get on the Beta site. Anyone else got this problem?

Edit: All I know is I just played as a medic and I delt out some proper rape-age. I melee killed five guys in a row.

Edited by Daft

What are the problems exactly?

Also, I can't get on the Beta site. Anyone else got this problem?

Edit: All I know is I just played as a medic and I delt out some proper rape-age. I melee killed five guys in a row.

List of issues are huge. Well i am not suggesting its a bad game or anything but they should have made sure the best bits about KZ2 stayed in and also enhanced the right bits. Right now its gone too much in the direction of games like COD. Some ideas are good however and most people probably wont complain but it annoys people who enjoyed the last game as much as I did. Alot of the bugs are obvious(wall hack mark and spot) and will be fixed, it is the design aspects that are hard to change that worry me.

Not sure about the beta website issues. Its suppossed to work after one game is recorded.

List of issues are huge. Well i am not suggesting its a bad game or anything but they should have made sure the best bits about KZ2 stayed in and also enhanced the right bits. Right now its gone too much in the direction of games like COD. Some ideas are good however and most people probably wont complain but it annoys people who enjoyed the last game as much as I did. Alot of the bugs are obvious(wall hack mark and spot) and will be fixed, it is the design aspects that are hard to change that worry me.

Are you a politician? You managed to reply but not answer Dafts question.

Haha! One of my favourite responses ever.

So yea, I don't really pay that much attention to detail so I'm not sure where the problems are - apart from the recoil being really weak. What design aspects? What is a wall hack bug?

There's currently a massive balancing issue. A couple times I've ended up on the wrong side of a 1vs 7 Warzone game.

The melee is awesome. Better than any other game and I bloody loved it on Halo: Reach.

One thing I wish they'd have done was introduce a bit of visual customisation. Nothing too crazy but with the awesome brutal melee where you get up so close it would be nice to get a bit personal. Likewise when your character is on the other end of it and it pulls out to a Third Person view your character model is just random and meh.

Edit: The Mechs are awful. They pretty much destroy the game.

Edited by Daft

Yeah I think you will see all the flaws as you play. Also alot of basic stuff like lack of custom games etc. which were fine in KZ2. Menus etc. are also an issue. So far going the matchmaking route is fail compared to KZ2. It might be ok compared to most games ( superior to BC2 easily) but it does not cut it for the KZ2 base.

Are you a politician? You managed to reply but not answer Dafts question.

Its hard to do a list when its huge. There are plenty of issues with the game. A single beta is not enough at this stage. We need constant patches and more time to give feedback than a regular console fps beta. having said that GG are pretty good at responding so lets see. They are already have confirmed they are working on several issues. Some stuff like the mech as Daft said break the game. As do afew class abilities.

Apparently the lead multiplayer designer is the guy who handled GTA4 and expansions online. Huge mistake. The team from KZ2 seems better.

Edited by Choze

The Mechs are awful. I wonder if they should maybe just get rid of them altogether. Imagine having constantly spawning Scorpion tanks in Halo - it's absurd.

The recoil needs to be sorted, too.

Frozen Damn is, in my opinion, probably the best multiplayer map I've ever played on any game. They need to fix that clipping bug on the stairs.

Spawning is a mess.

I think the medic's Triage skill has to be a bit stronger but also depend on distance from the medic.

Yeah, there are a few things they can fix. It is only in alpha, though.

I'm going to have a blast on this now, if anyone wants to has bash?

I'm resenting lack of M82 for tactician, maybe I'll just have to main medic.

I thought Frozen Damn was pretty average. What do you like 'bout it?

It's really varied. It has distinct sections that require you to play quite differently. I think the lower section by the water has excellent flow, access and angles. The corridors mean you get close up often, which I love (it's where I got a 5 kill melee streak). Then when they extend the stage by including the rest of the damn it really opens up but you've always got the lower bit to take things if you need to.

COOL, I'm sold!

You gonna be on within the next hour?

I think the melee may be a bit too powerful, then again the animations are badass so I'll let it slide.

Nope, I'm done for today (although might be on late late after American Dad!). Should be on tomorrow.

I don't think melee is too powerful. If someone gets close enough to use it you deserve to die.

Had a small but decent sesh on this earlier. Tbh I pwn. Guerilla Warfare 17-6, then 21-7. Tons of points. I made it my priority to have the M82 and the magnum, so glad that neither has been 'nerfed' as it were. It was like old times i.e. KZ2 rape - pr0 hip burst fire effectiveness from mid-distances that pricks from Chore of Gluttony don't understand.

What was pissing me off however was the cheap C4 kills. You CANNOT see C4, it's too much hassle to check for it and you forget about it because it's largely infrequent. However, seeing as it's an all classes unlock, it's going to be way more abundant, which is a bit irritating.

Also, there's far too many things that can do random damage to you, what with the sentries/air support/medic drones. Plus you have to worry about jet-packs, fall damage, mechs etc. In deathmatch it's not too bad, in fact I think it's a fantastic mode. Just a shame there aren't a few more matches to try it on. Plus there's no video support so you can save awesome streaks, but that doesn't matter that much.

And Choze, if you don't like it, why the fuck have you played it to death? You're saying it's awful but I don't see why you'd want to spend so much time not having fun, and detracting from your time with the full game to such an extent.

Yeah I'm loving this now the one thing that sucks is that the Medic is the only class that can use the M82 (I think that's the name, the main rife from KZ2).

Yeah I'm loving this now the one thing that sucks is that the Medic is the only class that can use the M82 (I think that's the name, the main rife from KZ2).

:( Don't really like the sound of that! That was my main weapon i used in kz2!

I love the M82 and I love the Medic. Score.

It should be unlockable for more, though. It's a bloody great gun.

I think the Medic's heal gun should have a way shorter charge. It's pretty lame otherwise.

'Final' impressions.

I don't think I'll end up buying this game somehow. Instead of taking steps forward, they're just kind of sidestepping. Some changes are good, some are bad - and I'm not just talking bugs. The whole affair seems overly familiar, but the new class system is just a pain in the arse. I really can't be bothered going through them all seperately when the retail version arrives.

As I said before, there's too many bot things now, and the focus has been taken away from actual fair gun v gun action. Stuff has become overpowered, and it feels like some of these ability upgrades are done for the sake of being needed to fit with the points-based unlocking system.

Whilst the shooting has been improved (feeling too easy now though), after playing with all the unlocks in bot mode I can't say there's anything that actually excites me about it. KZ2 trumps it in most areas, due to the fact it wasn't mainstream and was just....better. Have they ditched 32 player battles?

Gutting really. And I know that the campaign won't redeem things either.

Edited by dwarf

You don't need to go through the classes separately to unlock them. You just need to level up and get skill points and you can do that with any class.

I haven't noticed too many bots or the random hazards. It's a team game and you've just got to be aware of your surroundings.

Whatever. The point is you can't enjoy having a solid class until you've ranked up enough points to make it enjoyable and viable.

I don't want to be stuck with any one for too long.

Just to make the point clear - you probably want to focus putting points on the same one class to make it powerful. If the game type changes and you want to be a different class, that class will lack the basic abilities and punch you want from it. Bullshit mistake.

I must say, I agree with Choze for the most part. Obviously there's no need to complain about 'wall hacks', especially when noone had a fucking clue what he meant by it, but overall I'm not rating the game. Some of the abilities they've swapped around suck ass and make no sense. 3-tiered cloak/air support ability enhancements is overkill and kills balance.

Edited by dwarf

How is the upgrade structure not better than KZ2? Levelling up in that was an utter chore for the most part.

I definitely prefer it how it is now. Much lower health. Melee is actually a viable option instead of utterly retarded. The movement and aiming is better. The upgrade system doesn't favour mindless grinding.

It needs customisation, it needs more modes and it needs video replay. None of which it will get.

How is the upgrade structure not better than KZ2? Levelling up in that was an utter chore for the most part.

I definitely prefer it how it is now. Much lower health. Melee is actually a viable option instead of utterly retarded. The movement and aiming is better. The upgrade system doesn't favour mindless grinding.

It needs customisation, it needs more modes and it needs video replay. None of which it will get.

(I've edited above posts with better explanations)

KZ2 unlocking was far better. The best classes were unlocked early, and when you unlock a class you unlock them in full i.e. you never have to use a half-baked underpowered douchebag.

Lower health is shit. It was PERFECTION in Killzone 2. It suited the game down to the ground. Now you feel like an egg-carton. And there's constant damage niggles.

The aiming is more responsive but the developer has definitely overcompensated, like you mentioned there's little recoil, and there isn't much to master. In fact, there's hardly any difference between some of the guns now. Whereas the M82 was an absolute beast before and was more pr0 to use, now it's virtually the same as the helghast substitute, and possibly worse than the hellishly accurate LMG.

Melee is better but it's not important in Killzone as much as other FPS'.

Melee wasn't important because it was shit. I've already used it more in this alpha than I did during my entire run on KZ2.

They said they were going to sort the recoil.

Lower health is brilliant. If they increase it I probably won't play this online beyond the initial blast. You're being shot with guns, what do you expect?

The tiered abilities are weird but I like the fact you can unlock a class just by levelling. I think levelling up and unlocks are a load of shit, tbh. It just makes it unfair on n00bs. Everything should be there to chose from the start.

Melee wasn't important because it was shit. I've already used it more in this alpha than I did during my entire run on KZ2.

They said they were going to sort the recoil.

Lower health is brilliant. If they increase it I probably won't play this online beyond the initial blast. You're being shot with guns, what do you expect?

The tiered abilities are weird but I like the fact you can unlock a class just by levelling. I think levelling up and unlocks are a load of shit, tbh. It just makes it unfair on n00bs. Everything should be there to chose from the start.

I know meleeing was shit in KZ2 but I was perfectly happy with that, whether it's better or not in this i couldn't give a toss really.

If you think lower health is better then... More fool you. Saying 'you're being shot with guns' doesn't wash, it's a game, different FPS games choose different bullet damage. It was nailed in KZ2, I don't think they should've changed it at all. If you want to have realistic gun damage in an online shooter, it would be one hit kills the whole time, and if not, everyone would be limping constantly after a firefight. More health means potentially less annoying instant deaths and increases the ability to go on streaks (I think so anyway).

Level unlocking isn't perfect, but if everything was unlocked at the start it would be much lamer. That's where you'd have to implement customisation to keep people interested.

I'm not denying issues exist, but I just find dwarf gourami's behaviour highly childish and uhm... Volatile, even.