N-Europe

Pokémon Black & White

Serebii

I just want different. I'm bored of "It hurt itself in its confusion!". I'm bored of a house with only one bedroom and a town with only three houses. I'm bored of cut, surf, fly, rock smash, elite 4. They need to mix it up a bit.

That's what they are doing...for the most part

That's what they are doing...for the most part

I don't think you can deny for one second that all of what he mentioned is still in the game.

Okay, apart from maybe the "town with 3 houses" thing. That seems to have been "mixed up".

Some people though really want "fresh", not the same core mechanics with soft changes made around them, trying their best not to disturb that core that's remained so similar since the beginning.

I would like a completely reworked battle system. They physically cannot continue with the same system forever with tiny additions and have it remain constantly exciting.

In fact I'd probably like, to some degree, a complete "reboot", but one where in some way your work in the previous games does not go to waste. Like you can transfer your data over and perhaps not keep your pokemon, but at least it still gives recognition in some way of your accomplishments and status as a Pokemon gamer. Can I think of a way they could do this offhand? No, but I do believe it's possible, given enough consideration by the developers.

One thing I'd like in a reboot would be a change of art style. Something as simple as that would allow them to freshen up Pokemon designs again without having that limiting factor of keeping all designs in line with the look and feel of previous games and having to come up with increasingly contrived ideas for new Pokemon.

A completely reworked battle asyastem would not work in main games. It'd alienate the fanbase so any new battle system would belong in spin off. I hate it when people say this. It's ridiculous...that's like asking main-series Mario games to be RPGs because its done 3D Platforming for 14 years.

As for the battle system having tiny additions, that is not true. There have been major and massive additions but it still is a turnbased RPG so they can't exactly change it too much.

Your efforts as a trainer are not to waste. You have the ability to transfer all of your Pokémon over, with no limits. However, the games are in different regions with different characters with different plotlines. Same world, different story. If it was a sequel series similar to Mass Effect then yes it'd fit. However it's not and it should not be like that as after a couple of games, they'd have the risk of alienation of the non-core demographic.

As for contrived ideas for Pokémon? That's just complete and utter bollocks. People would be saying the same if we started off with Gen V Pokémon and were getting Gen I ones now. "A lizard with fire on its tail? A turtle with CANNONS??? A Pokémon that looks like a PokéBall? A white seal Pokémon called Seel? How Imaginative!"

Edited by Serebii

A completely reworked battle asyastem would not work in main games. It'd alienate the fanbase so any new battle system would belong in spin off. I hate it when people say this. It's ridiculous...that's like asking main-series Mario games to be RPGs because its done 3D Platforming for 14 years.

There are many RPG's with different battle systems. You can see completely different battle systems within many instalments of the same franchise, ie Final Fantasy. Generally when people do complain, they eventually adjust and accept.

Comparing changing the battle system to changing genre is ridiculous.

As for the battle system having tiny additions, that is not true. There have been major and massive additions but it still is a turnbased RPG so they can't exactly change it too much.

Diamond was my second Pokemon game after Red. I picked it up and played it exactly the same way I played Red like 8 years prior. It felt instantly natural because it was the same. Any and all changes were extremely subtle. That is not major. Something like this is commendable to some degree, however there is only so long that can effectively continue.

As for contrived ideas for Pokémon? That's just complete and utter bollocks. People would be saying the same if we started off with Gen V Pokémon and were getting Gen I ones now. "A lizard with fire on its tail? A turtle with CANNONS??? A Pokémon that looks like a PokéBall? A white seal Pokémon called Seel? How Imaginative!"

Except it's impossible to judge from that perspective as that's not what happened. There's no evidence that would be the case, other than how ridiculous the original designs seem when you describe them in an exaggerated way. However, at the time I never once thought any of the original designs looked particularly stupid or badly designed.

The impression I've always got with any Pokemon after the second generation (and even some of that) is that they had to "try" to make new designs and look for ideas. With the original 151, I believe it was more of a natural process, inspiration coming from looking at different species on earth and naturally flowing into creative designs.

Everything now feels "forced" to me and feels like it was designed with little heart. You can claim I'd feel the same way about the original 150 if they were the current gen all you want, but you have no physical hard evidence of that except from the fact you want to believe it to back up your argument.

As a whole, Black and White feel like a natural place for the series to come to an end of its traditional structure. The game names have come full circle, now back to the basics in a way that I think would be apporpriate for a sense of closure.

Of course I dont think it will happen. I'm sure instead we'll get a 3DS instalment eventually with Pokemon attacks now coming out the screen and the like and another set of small updates to every area. I'm sure that will satisfy some people and that's fine enouh I guess. I just believe the franchise still has far more potential if they were willing to take big risks. The spin offs never receive the amount of effort that would be put in if a main entry itself was the one taking the risks and trying to truly take Pokemon as a whole to a new plateau.

Lastly I think you got confused about my comments about progress going to "waste". I'm obviously full aware you can trade Pokemon from game to game, etc. I was talking about if there was a full reboot, I'd still want some form of transfer from the old games so people werent TOO pissed off, but possibly not in the form of keeping Pokemon, more like in the form of "recognition" of your achievements. I'd rather if there was a new take on the franchise that it was fresh, without having to hold back on its expansion so old features could be transfered.

Edited by James McGeachie

Transferring your old pokemon is game-breaking rubbish anyway. If you've been playing for a while you can start the game with a Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Eevee, Pichu and Pidgeotto if you wanted to, which would get you through the first two gyms in about 10 minutes.

The main thing I'm fed up with is how slow battles are, and how the battle style never really changes. For example: Bonemerang hits two times, the description says "once on the way out, once on the way back". But the animation clearly shows it being thrown two times. That's because they have a built in "multi-hit" system which automatically repeats the animation, and they couldn't be bothered to re-code this for different moves. Also whenever you're confused it's so boring to read "Pikachu is Confused!" *bird animation* "It hurt itself in its confusion!" over and over again. I know I can turn battle animation off to speed up the tedium of battles but that's hardly a solution.

Also there is no way that the game won't start like this:

Wake up in one bedroom house

Pick one of three pokemon, fire, grass or water

Meet your rival, who takes the one which naturally beats yours

Run into Rattata, Pidgey, Hoot Hoot and one new pokemon on your way to another town

Be taught ridiculous basics that you've known since the first game, whether you want them or not, like "where the shop is"

Get pokeballs

Be taught how to catch a pokemon, even if this is your sixth pokemon game.

Go to the first gym

Get a badge which gives you either cut or rock smash or something like that

Meet team rocket...

etc etc etc.

Transferring your old pokemon is game-breaking rubbish anyway. If you've been playing for a while you can start the game with a Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Eevee, Pichu and Pidgeotto if you wanted to, which would get you through the first two gyms in about 10 minutes.

The main thing I'm fed up with is how slow battles are, and how the battle style never really changes. For example: Bonemerang hits two times, the description says "once on the way out, once on the way back". But the animation clearly shows it being thrown two times. That's because they have a built in "multi-hit" system which automatically repeats the animation, and they couldn't be bothered to re-code this for different moves. Also whenever you're confused it's so boring to read "Pikachu is Confused!" *bird animation* "It hurt itself in its confusion!" over and over again. I know I can turn battle animation off to speed up the tedium of battles but that's hardly a solution.

Also there is no way that the game won't start like this:

Wake up in one bedroom house

Pick one of three pokemon, fire, grass or water

Meet your rival, who takes the one which naturally beats yours

Run into Rattata, Pidgey, Hoot Hoot and one new pokemon on your way to another town

Be taught ridiculous basics that you've known since the first game, whether you want them or not, like "where the shop is"

Get pokeballs

Be taught how to catch a pokemon, even if this is your sixth pokemon game.

Go to the first gym

Get a badge which gives you either cut or rock smash or something like that

Meet team rocket...

etc etc etc.

Well the Gen V battles are faster and while you do start in your bedroom, your two rivals are there and get the Pokemon at the same time. You battle and it totals your bedroom.

There are no old Pokemon in the game until you beat the Elite Four.

You cannot transfer Pokémon from old games til you beat the Elite Four (no broken)

Yes they have to teach players how to do things because, believe it or not, not everyone who buys the games have been playing every game.

OK, those points are all pretty cool. But on the latter a simple option "Would you like me to explain how to catch a Pokemon?" would solve it :)

After reading that, I'm actually more interested in this game now.

Shame it's so far away for us over here! And in Japan they get it what... in about 2 weeks...

Gyms also don't appear to be type-centric these days either. From the looks of it, the first gym is a triple battle with Pokemon of all three starter types. It may not be a triple battle but the three type thing seems to fit

Oh. We also got three new videos

Commercials

Promotional Video

Introductary Video

They seem to share footage but each video shows different and new things

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

Game looks good, in a way I kind of wish that none of the old Pokemon are accessible in the game. I'm still over 100 off until I complete the Pokedex in Diamond, so I have no chance of ever getting the 550+ fully entered in Black/White.

Surely this game has to be out in all regions by Christmas? Unless there's some 3DS enhanced features, the game won't sell to it's potential if released close to or after the 3DS.

Surely this game has to be out in all regions by Christmas? Unless there's some 3DS enhanced features, the game won't sell to it's potential if released close to or after the 3DS.

Not a chance. There's usually at least a six-month gap between Japanese and European releases of the main Pokémon games, I'm afraid. :(

Game looks good, in a way I kind of wish that none of the old Pokemon are accessible in the game. I'm still over 100 off until I complete the Pokedex in Diamond, so I have no chance of ever getting the 550+ fully entered in Black/White.

They've announced Spring 2011 for the other regions