NEurope
Serebii

Pokémon Black & White

You know, it's been what... 10 years (since red)?

I am kinda tempted to jump back in!

You seemed to contradict yourself!

You started off sounding pissed... but ended up saying these new graphics + more pokemon is all it would take you to buy it!

to a pokefan I was saying :)

I wouln't call myself I pokefan anymore. I played the newer games and enjoyed them to an extend but it gets tiresome but little improvement is made.

I'm not really pissed off just a little disappointed and taking aback... I didn't expect this to hit the ds itself, but rather the 3ds with WAY improved graphics...

Maybe that was mentioned on this thread but it slipped me by I was away for 2 days.

Yeah and I think Guitar Hero wins most rehashed title, there's already been more titles than Pokemon and its only been out for about 5 years :heh:

Pokemon has never been graphically amazing, so perhaps with the 3DS still in development they wouldn't be able to make a title that would do it justice, so if they tried it may look lacklustre and put people off (or at least be a cause for criticism). This way, it seems like they're improving. And it gives them some 'real' time with the 3DS to really push it.

Also, the 3DS version (so Gen 6) will give a second boost in sales for the 3DS itself. I imagine it'll sell out at launch anyway so would be good business to hold off on one of their biggest hits.

Yeah and I think Guitar Hero wins most rehashed title, there's already been more titles than Pokemon and its only been out for about 5 years :heh:

Pokemon has never been graphically amazing, so perhaps with the 3DS still in development they wouldn't be able to make a title that would do it justice, so if they tried it may look lacklustre and put people off (or at least be a cause for criticism). This way, it seems like they're improving. And it gives them some 'real' time with the 3DS to really push it.

Would you actually believe they're very close :D

And I'm only counting the main entries in pokemon and every guitar hero game( not including band hero or dj hero they are spinoffs I guess) :)

there are 18 pokemon main games I found, including the clones and remakes. Think about it.. this actually beats fifa and madden I believe.

But ya no disrespect to pokemon fans altogether I have to vent now and then :)

Edited by mcj metroid

Hmm I'm guessing you're counting each gen as two games at a time (e.g. Gold is one game, Silver is another)? Personally I wouldn't, as they're pretty much the same. It's like counting CE with a few extras as different from the normal. Although some would.

Its all moot anyway, Pokemon is awesome :heh:

Hmm I'm guessing you're counting each gen as two games at a time (e.g. Gold is one game, Silver is another)? Personally I wouldn't, as they're pretty much the same. It's like counting CE with a few extras as different from the normal. Although some would.

Its all moot anyway, Pokemon is awesome :heh:

Generation is determined by the core mechanics behind it. These change drastically in each generation. Each generational shift comes with new Pokémon and in each generation a slayer is born.

Generation I;

Green, Red, Blue, Yellow

Generation II;

Gold, Silver Crystal

Generation III;

Ruby, Sapphire, FireRed, LeafGreen, Emerald

Generation IV;

Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver

Generation V;

Black, White

Is this game really for the DS? That angle and the way things are laid out make it look as if it's going to be a 3D game, with certain objects in the foreground popping out of the screen. It does have DS graphics, which is pretty disappointing.. If 3DS games look like that, I'm going to be very disappointed.

I wouldn't be surprised if 3DS versions of this game were released, with upgraded graphics and 3D effects. If the graphics are the only difference, perhaps it would be possible for the DS and 3DS versions to be compatible with each other. Perhaps the actual DS game will have the required data in it to produce a 3D effect on those foreground graphics when played on the 3DS.. The graphics just look way too strange to simply be a normal DS game...

Edited by Pyxis

I think its most likely that they release Black and White on the DS, but release the 3rd game on the 3DS with updated graphics, and 3D effects. Somewhat like Pokemon Yellow in Japan.

I think its most likely that they release Black and White on the DS, but release the 3rd game on the 3DS with updated graphics, and 3D effects. Somewhat like Pokemon Yellow in Japan.

That makes quite a lot of sense since there's usually a delay for the 3rd game to be released and it would give people a good reason to buy the same game again (which we always do!). I am really excited about these games and seeing whether the 3DS is the new GameBoy Color, which I am guessing will be the case.

Pokemon Gold and Silver were playable on the original GameBoy right? Only Crystal had a GameBoy Color cartridge. I am probably wrong!:hehe:

The way things are going, surely the first Pokemon games on the 3DS will be...

Epic Ruby and PureWinz Sapphire!

I wasn't actually saying the 3Ds will be more like the Gameboy Colour. Just the way the pokemon games will be dealt with. In Japan Red Green and Blue were all Game Boy cartridges, but yellow was a Game Boy Colour cartridge. I have no idea what platform the 2nd Generation games were on in Japan. You're right though, Gold and Silver were both on Gameboy Cartridges in the NTSC and PAL regions, with Crystal being on a Game Boy Colour one.

Is this game really for the DS?

On the site it says "Autumn 2010 for the DS"

I wasn't actually saying the 3Ds will be more like the Gameboy Colour. Just the way the pokemon games will be dealt with. In Japan Red Green and Blue were all Game Boy cartridges, but yellow was a Game Boy Colour cartridge. I have no idea what platform the 2nd Generation games were on in Japan. You're right though, Gold and Silver were both on Gameboy Cartridges in the NTSC and PAL regions, with Crystal being on a Game Boy Colour one.

Yeah, Pokemon Yellow was also perfectly playable on an original GameBoy, but it handled colours really well on a GameBoy Color. The improvements in Crystal were probably too much for the original GameBoy to handle. It was graphically different from Gold and Silver.

I am guessing that these games will be backwards compatible for the DS, while having 3D effects when being played on a 3DS, much like a lot of GameBoy colour games that were released...quite a few were compatible with the original GameBoy, despite being in colour.

The DS has such a big user base and they've already claimed that the 3DS will be backwards compatible with DS games. I think we will get what we expected from the DSi with the 3DS. By releasing 3DS games that are playable on a DS, publishers can sell their games to a 120 million + market without having to worry about the lack of sales from selling a game on a completely new system with a tiny install base.

For 3D films, its possible for those people to convert 2D into 3D and this must be a lot easier with computer code instead of pictures. But I have no idea how the differences in resolution would affect this. I am probably very wrong, but it's a nice thought!

On the site it says "Autumn 2010 for the DS"

Ok, that proves I am probably wrong! Too much speculating.:p

NeoGaf users are like "scans arn't important because it is Pokemon Sunday" but Pokemon Sunday only showed the logos. :laughing:

Yeah, Pokemon Yellow was also perfectly playable on an original GameBoy, but it handled colours really well on a GameBoy Color.

In Japan there was, at least a version, of Pokemon Yellow released on a Gameboy Colour specific cartridge. I've been looking all over the place, but I can't seem to find a picture of it. I used to know a guy who had it.

The female character is wearing a pink and white hat, pink clothing, and has a ponytail; the male character is wearing blue clothing, has bushy hair, and is apparently wearing the same hat, but turned backwards. Judging by the screenshot where the clerk is talking to the female player in the Pokemon Center's Poke Mart, it appears that characters will now speak through speech bubbles. In terms of graphics, the battle system seems to have been overhauled, showing the full back sprite of Zoroark instead of just its upper body. Next to the screenshot where the male character is standing on the bridge, CoroCoro mentions that players will be able to ride a never-before-seen vehicle. There appears to be some sort of car next to the bridge, so perhaps it is the vehicle in question. Other than this blurb, CoroCoro does not reveal anything significant about the games other than the obvious fact that they will rely more heavily on 3D graphics, as seen in the various terrains.

It might just be the scans, but it looks like the nurse at the Pokemon Center has brown hair. Either Nurse Joy is trying a new style or she's simply not Nurse Joy, which could mean we are far, far away from the past four regions (where the Joys have not reproduced like bunnies and invaded). The PC inside the Pokemon Center seems pretty retro too - it uses a CRT monitor rather than the modern LCD screens the modern, real-world uses and that the past few games have used. Different time, different place? And then there's black and white, old "colors." I could be looking too much into all of this, though. :D

http://pokebeach.com/

Edited by canand

Canand, didn't you say that earlier? You seem to have deleted your post with your thoughts on possibly riding a car in the game and how it'd be "cool" in your words? Also, credit Pokebeach for the quoting of their news post, highly misleading to people as to whether its your own thoughts or some one elses.

In Japan there was, at least a version, of Pokemon Yellow released on a Gameboy Colour specific cartridge. I've been looking all over the place, but I can't seem to find a picture of it. I used to know a guy who had it.

Are you sure it wasn't just a pirate? They seem to do this with many pokemon games, tricky pirates..

Images*from*Pokebeach

corocoro-pokemon-black-white-2.jpg**

corocoro-pokemon-black-white-1.jpg**

corocoro-pokemon-black-white-pokemon-center.jpg

corocoro-pokemon-black-white-city.jpg

corocoro-pokemon-black-white-starting-town.jpg

corocoro-pokemon-black-white-cave.jpg

corocoro-pokemon-black-white-zoroark-zorua.jpg

Edited by canand

The female character is wearing a pink and white hat, pink clothing, and has a ponytail; the male character is wearing blue clothing, has bushy hair, and is apparently wearing the same hat, but turned backwards. Judging by the screenshot where the clerk is talking to the female player in the Pokemon Center's Poke Mart, it appears that characters will now speak through speech bubbles. In terms of graphics, the battle system seems to have been overhauled, showing the full back sprite of Zoroark instead of just its upper body. Next to the screenshot where the male character is standing on the bridge, CoroCoro mentions that players will be able to ride a never-before-seen vehicle. There appears to be some sort of car next to the bridge, so perhaps it is the vehicle in question. Other than this blurb, CoroCoro does not reveal anything significant about the games other than the obvious fact that they will rely more heavily on 3D graphics, as seen in the various terrains.

It might just be the scans, but it looks like the nurse at the Pokemon Center has brown hair. Either Nurse Joy is trying a new style or she's simply not Nurse Joy, which could mean we are far, far away from the past four regions (where the Joys have not reproduced like bunnies and invaded). The PC inside the Pokemon Center seems pretty retro too - it uses a CRT monitor rather than the modern LCD screens the modern, real-world uses and that the past few games have used. Different time, different place? And then there's black and white, old "colors." I could be looking too much into all of this, though. :D

http://pokebeach.com/

That is all ridiculous speculation

Serebii posted a link to them a page back

Without obnoxious watermarks too

Pokemon trainers (who I presume are still going to be about ten years old) driving a car, what a preposterous notion. If anything it will just be a skateboard or a weird made up vehicle.

Unless they're rich and its just a chauffeur who has a dry witty sense of humour.

Apologies if this is as old post to reply to, but I just saw it. And come oooon...

On the contrary. If you had said that in the third gen, I would have agreed with you, but the 4th gen was brilliant in Pokémon design. They're almost all awesome and they all fit

I think anyone who properly enjoyed Pokemon back in its day, ie. not your typical young kids of today, besides you - who seems to be impervious to the monotony of Pokemon, would disagree with you there...

7882.gif

150_mewtwo.jpg

Hooh.jpg

070417squirtle.jpg

Past Gold and Silver the Pokemon they came up with were ridiculous. It looked as they came up with Pokemon then gave it to a jumped up graphics design student to play around with in Photoshop:

Palkia.jpeg - instead of good Pokemon design they tack on pieces to his body to try and make it look interesting to kids. One extortionately monged up looking Pokemon.

364989.jpg

art-groudon.png - potentially the worst, it just looks ridiculous. It's as if they fired the previous designer of Pokemon, who made them look pretty awesome back then indeed.

Frankly, the Pokemon designers even know that the first couple of generations had the best Pokemon, which is why a ridiculous number of new ones are often evolutions of pre-evolutions of loved favourites (often generation 1).

In short, TL;DR: Pokemon design for any new Pokemon is destined to be, the majority of the time, complete shit. I honestly think they should have stopped after G/S. It's basically the same game where you do the same thing every time, with a new ragtag bunch of 100 extra misfits every installment to go out and catch.

Actually, these images sum it up better:

151.png>>>107534main_Deoxys1.jpg and artwork-arceus.jpg

The simplicity of earlier Pokemon easily bitch slaps the complex, cluttered designs they come up with today.

Edited by Sheikah

The fact you included Ho-oh as an example of good design effectively voids your whole argument... Plus all of your "badly designed" pokemon aren't exactly the best choices...

Probopass.png

(but I do agree that the earlier ones were the best :heh:)

Edited by Eddage

The fact you included Ho-oh as an example of good design effectively voids your whole argument... Plus all of your "badly designed" pokemon aren't exactly the best choices...

Hey. Ho-Oh looks awesome. :p

And at least some of my comparisons are directly comparable. Particularly the legendaries.

Edited by Sheikah