NEurope
Dog-amoto

Christmas songs that should not be

Here, we should talk about so called Christmas songs that seem to have bugger all to do with Christmas, and yet, seem to be on a load of Christmas compilation albums and are played non stop in the shops.

For me:

Wham! - Last Christmas. What the hell is this? It's a crappy love song with the word Christmas and a few bells here and there. What's the point?

East 17 - Stay Another Day. Yeah, I know this was a Christmas No 1 in the early nineties, but please see above.

FGTH - The Power Of Love - Protect you from the Hooded Claw, keep the vampires from your door??? Hmm...very Christmassy! This wasn't even a Xmas No 1!

I'm sure there are more, feel free to add your own, but if anyone can explain why these songs are on the Christmas playlists, then feel free to do that as well.

There are plenty of crap Christmas songs, but this thread should be about the ones that have sod all to do with Christmas

I sense a thread lock and an arrow pointing to the Music Thread.

But I don't see the big deal. Last Christmas is "about" christmas because it's "set at Christmas". You could change any song describing a location/time to something else and change the meaning, but this song is about christmas, becuase that's how it was written and sung...

Stay Another Day isn't Christmassy in anything other than tone/aurally.

I love Power Of Love. It seems quite unique among the "classic" christmas songs, regardless of how "christmassy" it actually is.

FGTH - The Power Of Love - Protect you from the Hooded Claw, keep the vampires from your door??? Hmm...very Christmassy! This wasn't even a Xmas No 1!

This one for me too.

Never get why it is considered a Christmas song?

The first line with it's claws and vampires makes it seem more suited to Halloween :heh:

East 17 - Stay Another Day. Yeah, I know this was a Christmas No 1 in the early nineties, but please see above.

This, but mostly because the horrible line;

I touch your face while you are sleeping

Gives me the pissjitters.

Telling me

"I touch your face while you are sleeping"

wouldnt convice me to stay another day quite the opposite in fact

Here, we should talk about so called Christmas songs that seem to have bugger all to do with Christmas, and yet, seem to be on a load of Christmas compilation albums and are played non stop in the shops.

For me:

Wham! - Last Christmas. What the hell is this? It's a crappy love song with the word Christmas and a few bells here and there. What's the point?

I'm sure there are more, feel free to add your own, but if anyone can explain why these songs are on the Christmas playlists, then feel free to do that as well.

There are plenty of crap Christmas songs, but this thread should be about the ones that have sod all to do with Christmas

power of love's video is what makes it christmassy to be fair

they probably intended it to be a christmas number 1 but lost out to band aid. they were number 1 for the first week or so in december though.

these ones have sweet fuck all especially this one

watch the video.. nothing christmassy. its just one line in the song... " wish i stayed at home for christmas."

the band had not intended it to be a christmas song.

I've seen this pop up a few times too

Now i like this song but again sod all to do with it. It was the last song freddie wrote before he died.. very festive indeed :) and they actually have a christmas song called " thank god its christmas" but you probably havent heard it cause its shit and only on the shit greatest hits 3 which was shit :D

and last christmas defo is a christmas song... admittingly not a good one but still one designed for being a christmas song.

Edited by mcj metroid

It deserves to stay, if only because of the awesomeness of "I touch your face while you are sleeping".

According to TOTP2 christmas edition on now "Stop the Cavalry" was a number one hit at Easter in France! This topic nearly had me ranting about the validity of RATM as a Christmas number one. Christmas number ones should have sleigh bells by default!

Band Aid wasn't exactly very Christmassy either, to be fair. But both that Last Christmas have become so associated with Christmas in many people's mentality that they just explode with the feeling of Christmas. I still love them both. :p

Paul McCartney's song "Pipes of Peace" has nothing to do with Chrimbo (yeah, Paj), except that the video is about the British and German soldiers meeting each other in No Man's Land on Christmas Day 1914, with our Paul playing both a German and British soldier.

But I think it was No.1 after Xmas, research tells me.

Oh, well, here's the vid:

What's wrong with touching someone's face while they're sleeping? Surely that's some harmless affection. Perhaps a little sickening, but harmless.

What's wrong with touching someone's face while they're sleeping? Surely that's some harmless affection. Perhaps a little sickening, but harmless.

Depends on whether or not you actually live/sleep with the person.

And depending on what you use to touch their face with...

Paul McCartney's song "Pipes of Peace" has nothing to do with Chrimbo (yeah, Paj), except that the video is about the British and German soldiers meeting each other in No Man's Land on Christmas Day 1914, with our Paul playing both a German and British soldier.

But I think it was No.1 after Xmas, research tells me.

Oh, well, here's the vid:

while im there

THIS is by far the worst christmas song ever

i mean jesus.

Depends on whether or not you actually live/sleep with the person.

And depending on what you use to touch their face with...

Lol!! Yes I had rather assumed it was a partner/lover and... a hand.

Its just creepy. I don't like people seeing my asleep, much less touching me. Even people I agree to let into my bed. It feels like an invasion of privacy.

Pissjitters.

Yeah people touching you while you're asleep is just kinda creepy. You're just very vulnerable then and it'd feel like someone is taking advantage of that... or something.

All in all, my desire to share a bed with Molly has plummeted. I no longer trust her wandering hands!

Edited by Ashley

All in all, my desire to share a bed with Molly has plummeted

Oh no. That is tragic :heh:

For the record, I'm not a nighttime face toucher myself.

Anyway, the derailment must end sometime.

What's so bad about it? I like it. :heh:

It sounds like a retarded child playing their first casio keyboard !

oh you know everyone has that one song that drives them mad.. Compared to war is over by john lennon it's a bit smeh.

what's everyone's worst christmas song so while we're here?

It sounds like a retarded child playing their first casio keyboard !

oh you know everyone has that one song that drives them mad.. Compared to war is over by john lennon it's a bit smeh.

On the contrary, that "Bom-bom-bom-bom...BOM-BOM-BOM-BOM..." is one of the first things I want to hear to tell me that Christmas is coming.

It's up there with the Coca-Cola convoy.

what's everyone's worst christmas song so while we're here?

You do know Cliff Richard did more than one?

You do know Cliff Richard did more than one?

there was missaltoe and wine and millenium prayer was there more? :)