N-Europe

Graphics Tablets

Ashley

Howdy folks.

The time has come where I have finally been paid (huzzah!) and thus imma get me a graphics tablet.

Wacom obviously because...does anyone else do them? :p Thinking of the Touch because you can get it for around the £50 mark which was my budget. Just wondering if anyone has used it, can give me feedback on its use and all that? Just to confirm its worth getting. Thinking of ordering around Tuesday, in the hope it'll be here on the weekend (so I don't have to go to the sorting office mostly).

Seen a few reviews on youtube but they mostly seem to be talking about its touchpad like qualities and are using their fingers. Does it come with a pen? (something I can research myself tomorrow as im going to bed, this could just be a handy note to self)

Last month they still had them in stock in Aldi stores for £40 (Wacom Bamboo). It was supposed to be a 1 day deal on Sunday 27th Sept but they kept it going until they sold all stock, which didn't happen very fast. Might be worth ringing your nearest Aldi and ask if they have any - but it's a long shot. They retail at about £80 as buck said, so it was a great deal.

I'd give you my Wacom Volito but I'm not even sure it works on any pc anymore. =P

But yeah Wacom is the way to go I think. I have no idea what this Touch one is though, but the Bamboo seems pretty good (friend has it, I'm stuck with the old Graphire 2 heh). =)

Guest Stefkov

I have a Volito aswell!

I've had it so many years and it still works. It's scratched up and feels icky (cos it sits where dust can gather if I'm not in the mood to use it for a few months) but it still works. So yeah, go for Wacom and not the Trust ones. We had one years and years ago and it was crap. Trust wasn't mentioned earlier in the thread, just saying don't go for one.

I have a Volito aswell!

I've had it so many years and it still works. It's scratched up and feels icky (cos it sits where dust can gather if I'm not in the mood to use it for a few months) but it still works. So yeah, go for Wacom and not the Trust ones. We had one years and years ago and it was crap. Trust wasn't mentioned earlier in the thread, just saying don't go for one.

I have a volito which I bought in Aldi a year ago or so, but it didn't work on my Mac (well did for a while thanks to some stuff I installed, but then it stopped working), and I also couldn't get it to work on my dad's laptop so yeah. It's just laying around gathering dust now. =P

But yeah Ashley Wacom is your best bet. You just have the find the one you like best now/can afford. =)

I think Touch may be slightly better (or at least the pad could do more) but doesn't come with a pen. I think Pen (this is getting confusing no?) is technically a bit worse as it was released before Touch but Pen and Touch combines them...but costs more >_<

I think thats my understanding. Should look into it on ummm...Wednesday?

The first one is £50, and the second one is the same but with touch response as well as stylus. Since that's not what you asked for, only the first one was really aimed at you :indeed: And I don't actually earn very much money, not sure where that has come from!

You've mentioned how much your company charges for projects and you're on more than me, ergo rich :p

Hmm I think the Pen and Touch is what I want, but not what I can afford. TITS.

Seems like the Touch version doesn't support stylus input either. I don't want to be doing drawing with my fingers. (well, I wouldn't mind doing finger painting for funsies but regardless)

You've mentioned how much your company charges for projects

OT, but ... what a company charges for a project and what the person doing the project actually gets paid are quite different! I'm doing three £20k projects over the next week or so but my wage is not reflected in that. :(

I know that logically but seeing as my mind is an illogical place company with lot of money = hearty payslips.

To be fair, I work for a university. If they're not a company who knows how to scam people out of money I don't know what do (well, in fact my money comes from government and yet I don't get any expense accounts :()

My company charges a fairly normal amount per hour for their service, that has to pay 2 bosses, 3 full time employees and a freelance designer. Plus expensive hosting/ssl costs, office rent, taxes, an extortionate broadband bill (about £200 and we only get 2mb up/down!!). Put it this way, I'm not earning enough money to be paying my student loan back yet.

And you should just get the first tablet, the £50 one. It looks great and I want it. If you want fancy touch stuff, put an Apple Magic Mouse on your Christmas list.

I have tried out the new Apple mouse but it doesn't have a third button option which I need for Maya (and I'm not one for keyboard+mousing it up). To be fair the Pen does have a little scroll wheel like thing that zooms/scrolls. But you know what its like, you see shiny tech and you want it?

Part of me is considering seeing if I can barter with the Apple Store staff about getting education discount on it. It doesn't offer it on their site so I can't imagine they will but...hmm. Why does my friend who works there have to be in South Africa at the moment :(

£30 is most of my Christmas. (I like being awkawrd eh? :p) I did consider it but then I'd get like sod all at xmas.

I should probably check my bank balance or something. I hate making decisions.

Edited by Ashley

Netto have a pen and tablet set for £19.99. No clue what the brand is, but I remember seeing 2,000 IPL/LPI or something like that.

Touch & pen combo for 69 quid, not sure if it's free delivery;

http://www.alliedsdirect.com/computing/peripheral/graphic-tablet/wacom-bamboo-pen-and-touch-graphics-tablet.html

Edited by uncle_buckman

Netto have a pen and tablet set for £19.99. No clue what the brand is, but I remember seeing 2,000 IPL/LPI or something like that.

http://www.alliedsdirect.com/computing/peripheral/graphic-tablet/wacom-bamboo-pen-and-touch-graphics-tablet.html

Not even worth the plastic its made out of. Never never never neverrrr buy a sub-£40 graphics tablet. Because they are all shit.

I paid around £60 for my wacom bamboo (its the older model though) and its freakin' awesome.

re: company charges, some of the IT project bills in the NHS are horreendous. You gotta employ so many people & resources (like shorteh mentioned) Just a very simple software change on an already existing project can cost into the thousands.

Nope, £9 for delivery. Thanks though :)

I've looked around at prices and its £75 in the Apple store and I haven't really found it cheaper so I'll probably get it from there, as I can have it in my hands right away.

Come up with a compromise. Finish my xmas shopping, see how much money I have left ^_^