N-Europe

Demon's Souls

Pit-Jr

Can you explain that thing you mentioned a while back about being able to do both spells and mircales with the same thing? I don't know where to find it if it is a physical thing.

It seems a bit stupid that you can't do both as standard anyway, seeing as changing between them all is really hard.

You need the talisman of beasts, but it requires some faith to use it (good if you plan on getting some good miracles/spells anyway; and if you get 20 faith before rescuing Saint Urbain and talk to the woman sitting on the ledge who praises Umbasa all the time, she'll give you a pure Faintstone). You get this by killing black phantom scirvir in pure black 2-1 (if he falls off and dies during the fight, load the game you're in and the item should be waiting there in the cave by where he would have spawned). Try not to quit to Nexus until you picked it up after he dies, else it may be gone for that playthrough.

I've remembered 1 spell and 1 miracle and they are both shite, I don't know why I chose them - they're the cloak and regeneration ones.

Did you rescue Urbain and Freke to learn better miracles/spells yet with your souls? I learned Evacuate (freaking awesome; good if you hunt Reapers or for any situation where you want to get out) and Total Protection (significantly cuts damage), as well as (arguably) the best miracle Second Chance. Cursed Weapon is awesome for PvP from Yuria.

I've got those options open to me but I don't like upgrading faith when miracle memory doesn't increase from it. I only have 3 magic slots and 1 miracle slot right now.

I'm waiting to get second chance, needs 2 slots. Then I'll get evacuate. I was going to get it right at the start but I wasn't 100% sure I retained my souls if I used the spell. I know that I do now, kind of realised when I saw the item descriptions for the stones that can teleport you back.

Btw: My character still has a fairly rigid and slow animation for the shield parry when using steel/purple shields. Does that become smoother after strength increases?

Edited by dwarf

Sooo, here I am again asking questions :p

About world tendency:

How do I get white/black world tendency? I read somewhere that for a pure white tendency you need to kill three bosses of a world without dying.

Does that mean I could kill one boss three times without dying? But to do this I need to be in soul form in order to be summoned to fight a boss again, right?

And what happens if I kill a boss, be in body form again and I die in the Nexus to get into soul form. Will this reset my death count for the world I'm trying to get pure white?

Pure white makes enemies weaker and they give less souls.

Pure black makes enemies tougher and they give more souls.

Any more differences with tendencies?

About character tendency:

Again: How?

And what are the advantages/disadvantages?

I guess that dwarf asked this, too, but hey...I'm lazy. :heh:

Sooo, here I am again asking questions :p

About world tendency:

How do I get white/black world tendency? I read somewhere that for a pure white tendency you need to kill three bosses of a world without dying.

Does that mean I could kill one boss three times without dying? But to do this I need to be in soul form in order to be summoned to fight a boss again, right?

It means kill all 3 bosses of the world without dying in body form. Basically play in soul form. When you get your body back by defeating a boss, go straight to the Nexus and suicide by jumping off somewhere high. If you die in body form your world tendency gets blacker, but it doesn't count in the Nexus.

You can't kill any 1 boss more than once in a playthrough. They're gone for good. Fighting another person's boss as a blue phantom won't do anything to your tendency.

And what happens if I kill a boss, be in body form again and I die in the Nexus to get into soul form. Will this reset my death count for the world I'm trying to get pure white?

Nope. And it's recommended that if you're going for pure white world tendency, you play offline as there can be fluctuations online.

About character tendency:

Again: How?

And what are the advantages/disadvantages?

I guess that dwarf asked this, too, but hey...I'm lazy. :heh:

The most notable...

White character tendency: if you answered 'yes' to the monumental's question at the beginning and get pure white character tendency, he'll give you a ring that boosts your damage as a blue phantom.

Get white character tendency by walking around in body form and defeating black phantoms that invade. Quite simple.

Black character tendency: Get this by slaughtering NPCs. Good to do shortly before you finish the game. NOTE: Kill pointless merchant NPCs or those that offer nothing. The reason is that when your tendency reaches pure black, an NPC called Mephistopheles appears in the Nexus. She contracts you to kill certain NPCs and gives rewards. The best of which being for Yuria (her last request); you get another unique ring (boosts damage as a black phantom).

You can also get another Talisman of Beasts, and some other good stuff doing that. But remember, your character and world tendencies carry over to the next playthrough.

You can't kill any 1 boss more than once in a playthrough. They're gone for good. Fighting another person's boss as a blue phantom won't do anything to your tendency.

Which means I won't be able to get pure white in the first two worlds now. :nono:

It means kill all 3 bosses of the world without dying in body form. Basically play in soul form. When you get your body back by defeating a boss, go straight to the Nexus and suicide by jumping off somewhere high.

But by killing a boss in soul form I won't be able to get pure white? So why should I play in soul form? And why is it wise to commit suicide in the Nexus?

Which means I won't be able to get pure white in the first two worlds now. :nono:

You should be able to. There's a glitch that's abusable online, which basically sets your tendency to pure white in a world from killing 3 of the same primeval demon:

* Get any world to pure black tendency so that a Primeval Demon will show up. It's best to do this in 2-1, because the Primeval Demon at 2-1 isn't far from the Archstone at all.

* Attack it until it has barely any health left. Enough health that you just hit it once and it dies.

* Lay down a Black Eye Stone.

* When you're being summoned, you'll see the usual words flash on the screen. When "Invading as a black phantom" pops up for the second time, kill the primeval demon, then mash X so you can take the item it drops. (You will obtain a colorless soul)

* Get killed by the people you invade, or just kill yourself. Either way works. (Keep in mind that if you kill yourself while invading, you loose a soul level).

* You can also use the White Eye Stone to return the moment you are summoned. But where is the fun in that right?

* When you return to your world, the primeval demon will have respawned with full health! Repeat this as much as you like.

* When you farm the colourless demon souls, make sure to die with your body on the map you wish to farm. So in case you kill the person you invade or if they die before you do and regain your body, you will respawn on the map you died so you can suicide your body and continue as before.

Don't kill it for good, basically. But each semi-kill still counts in upping your world tendency by a notch. Coincidentally, this gets you lots of colorless demon's souls (needed to upgrade a lot of uber weapons).

But by killing a boss in soul form I won't be able to get pure white? So why should I play in soul form? And why is it wise to commit suicide in the Nexus?

Yes you will...world tendency still goes up if you're in soul form. Then go kill yourself in the Nexus after getting your body back, before you play another stage.

Killing yourself in the Nexus is wise because the Nexus doesn't have a world tendency, thus you can kill yourself in body form without reducing the world tendency. If you instead carried on playing in a level in body form then died, it would reduce the world tendency.

Edited by Sheikah

This game is great. I'm not sure if I'm that prepared to go through it all again in new game plus though, the whole shard collecting and tendency changes are just slightly cumbersome.

I tried to defeat the black phantom Scirvir the other day and got utterly raped by him. I tried bowing him down from range but it took quite a while, and whenever I got 80% of his HP down he would heal. I could probably kill him if I stuck with it but each time he went to heal I missed the key arrow that would prevent him from doing it. I tried beating him by going into human form, putting ring of flame resistance and the regenerator ring (because I was using the Magic Sword Makoto). I enchanted my weapon, set up my magic attack as the powerful flame eruption thing.

Problem was that I missed my one use of the fire attack and so had to take him down by sword only. It was going well, the flame resistance ring was massively useful against his ranged attacks, and I managed to get him to half of his HP. Then bam, I go for a swipe and he hits me with his really powerful flame beam whilst my defence was down. Out of the game. Really annoying as he uses that move quite frequently.

This game is great. I'm not sure if I'm that prepared to go through it all again in new game plus though, the whole shard collecting and tendency changes are just slightly cumbersome.

I tried to defeat the black phantom Scirvir the other day and got utterly raped by him. I tried bowing him down from range but it took quite a while, and whenever I got 80% of his HP down he would heal. I could probably kill him if I stuck with it but each time he went to heal I missed the key arrow that would prevent him from doing it. I tried beating him by going into human form, putting ring of flame resistance and the regenerator ring (because I was using the Magic Sword Makoto). I enchanted my weapon, set up my magic attack as the powerful flame eruption thing.

Clever rat's ring + meat cleaver + cursed weapon spell (MEGA damage) + second chance to allow you to live should you get hit. Take along a brushwood shield for 100% fire damage reduction to time when to hit (then switch with the Morion Blade), and maybe even the eternal warrior's ring (defeat old King Doran) for quick stamina gain, as well as the ring of strength that lets you equip more.

Try do R2 (power attack) and he gets knocked down. As they get back up, do it again. It's literally cruel to just about any single enemy. I actually 1 hit KO people online...it's just such good fun.

Don't use the magic sword Makoto...it's shit. The only purpose for it is to get you into the low HP range so that the clever rat's ring / Morion Blade effects activate (if you haven't got this setup yet; do get it now, since it's the best thing ever). Basically put the Morion Blade in the left hand, the meat cleaver in the right and wear a clever rat's ring. Put the magic sword makoto in the alternative left hand slot; start with the Makoto so that your HP gradually decreases. When it gets low enough, you'll see a rat icon at the top left; switch the Makoto for a catalyst to enchant your meat cleaver in the left hand. Then switch the catalyst for the Morion Blade.

Boom. Damage.

Edited by Sheikah

Sheika you seem to know absolutely everything about the game. May I ask how many hours you've put into it?

I have to agree with dwarf: This game is indeed great.

My first playthrough is and will be full of mistakes but I don't give a smelly shit.

Maybe I'll do a New Game+. The other alternative would be starting from scratch (o rly? :rolleyes:). Guess I leave it to spontaneity.

Btw: Killing Fool's Idol four bloody times before realizing what the heck was going on is annyoing :D

I killed that guy by searching him online and then axing him in the brain. He seemed really shifty (frankly they all do, and pretty much all of them are bastards) and I could see a character down below in the big hall praying so I thought he must have something to do with them, because he appeared to serve no other purpose.

The following boss maneater was much more irritating.

I kept getting the second meaneater down to very little health and then i'd roll off the edge, have the wrong stuff equipped, and generally get really unlucky. Had to make the trip up those stairs about 6 times. Using the bow and arrow on them gets their health down massively quickly but they can just be real pests. The fight isn't that hard, I just got frustrated by it over the little grievances and mistakes.

Edited by dwarf

Sheika you seem to know absolutely everything about the game. May I ask how many hours you've put into it?

Ahh I don't think too many, I'm only on my second playthrough (not too far in, either). I think a lot of this stuff just sticks in my mind. Maybe 80-something hours?

I have to agree with dwarf: This game is indeed great.

My first playthrough is and will be full of mistakes but I don't give a smelly shit.

Maybe I'll do a New Game+. The other alternative would be starting from scratch (o rly? :rolleyes:). Guess I leave it to spontaneity.

Btw: Killing Fool's Idol four bloody times before realizing what the heck was going on is annyoing :D

lol, I explored the area with him in and unleashed hell on his ass.

By the way, make sure to get the clever rat's ring from 3-1, the Magic Sword Makoto from 4-2 in pure white and forge a Morion Blade using the Storm Demon's Soul (4-3 boss). My reasoning is above. :p

You can miss the clever rat's ring quite easily. There's quite a few topics with people asking where it is...

Save the Ring of Avarice for later (new game +) once you get the soul sucker ability. Soul sucker + 4-2 katana skeletons = possibly the best souls in the game. Although by then, you probably don't really need souls. Going past L120 is usually inadvisable since you can only get matched against people within similar level ranges, and most people stick around this range.

But they're mostly asking just in case they miss it when they play. If they played independently they'd get it.

Stuff like the Thief's Ring in world 1 maybe not, but hey.

Not knocking you, just saying some of the stuff is best left as a surprise or whatever.

But they're mostly asking just in case they miss it when they play. If they played independently they'd get it.

Stuff like the Thief's Ring in world 1 maybe not, but hey.

Not knocking you, just saying some of the stuff is best left as a surprise or whatever.

Well, in a way, knowing that it's in 3-1 might make them want to play that level sooner, which is a good idea since the clever rat's ring setup will help you deal with crystal lizards throughout the game.

Also, quick tip. If you know a lizard has the capability to respawn at least once more after you killed it/it ran away (e.g. - say you've killed 2 bosses in a world and kill a particular lizard for the first time - it will respawn once more for each boss you have killed, therefore it'll respawn 2 more times).

Position yourself where you think is a good spot (far away enough so it won't run; remember to equip the thief's ring). Then go to the menu and load the file you're already playing - you'll be standing in the same spot, but the lizard will have respawned. Saves you exiting the level and re-entering.

Second quick tip - lizards don't detect rolling. So if you're good, you could roll right up to it to melee it with something powerful (although a bow with the clever rat's ring is by far the wisest and safest option).

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I need some help.

I've rescued Yuria. So she appeared in the Nexus and I could learn spells. After playing for a while and defeating some bosses I returned to the Nexus and she is gone. Why?

The World Tendency in the Nexus is black, is that the reason?

Also: Patches is gone, too. I always bought Heavy Arrows from him, but now he's not there.

I've read that I need to do something in 4-2. But he isn't there either ._.

Another question:

Should I get the Meat Cleaver? I'm tempted to get it because of its damage and bonuses, but it is so heavy Oo I like to roll without being smashed to the ground since my equipment burden is more than 50%/max.

Edited by drahkon

What the fuck ._. That sucks.

Is Yurt the one sitting in front of the world 5 entrance?

I need to kill two archdemons, but the blue dragon in world 1 is giving me a hell lot of trouble.

I also need to finish world 4.

Edit: Nevermind all that. I've decided that I want to start a new game. So, which class would recommend? I know that in the end it doesn't really matter which class I chose, but maybe the beginning of the game might get easier/harder depending on my decision.

Edited by drahkon

Another question:

Should I get the Meat Cleaver? I'm tempted to get it because of its damage and bonuses, but it is so heavy Oo I like to roll without being smashed to the ground since my equipment burden is more than 50%/max.

Yeah, Yurt did kill them.

Definitely get the meat cleaver. Unequip some stuff if need be in order to maintain your rolls.

It's great because it knocks things down. The heavy (R2) attack is great, especially against phantom NPCs and against real players. You can basically knock them down, and strike them down as they get back up. And it's mega strong.

Edit: Nevermind all that. I've decided that I want to start a new game. So, which class would recommend? I know that in the end it doesn't really matter which class I chose, but maybe the beginning of the game might get easier/harder depending on my decision.

You know, you could have just completed the game to start new game plus. Which would have retained your levels/equipment but reset all NPCs and worlds.

But go for Royal.

You know, you could have just completed the game to start new game plus. Which would have retained your levels/equipment but reset all NPCs and worlds.

I know, but I just felt like starting from scratch. I probably won't play online until I finished the game once.

But go for Royal.

Yeah, Royal seems to be quite good for the beginning.

How much should I invest in luck? And should I get the stat higher right from the start?

Online is awesome, not sure why you'd play it offline. Just seeing ghosts of people running around is somehow comforting and, I dunno. It's just cool.

Not sure when I'll start playing this again. I look forward to being in the mood for it though!

I know, but I just felt like starting from scratch. I probably won't play online until I finished the game once.

Yeah, Royal seems to be quite good for the beginning.

How much should I invest in luck? And should I get the stat higher right from the start?

1 point if a Royal, so you have 8. Then leave it there forever.

Apparently at 8 luck you have less chance of getting items but a much higher chance than people with higher levels of luck at getting better items. So it's basically worthless investing points in luck.

Strength, Vit and End :D