NEurope
Ashley

NaNoWriMo 09

That time of year again!.

NaNoWriMo is just under a month away, whose participating this year? I know some people did last year.

I probably won't (again) but I shall once again try. Anyone else thinking about it?

Ahhh thanks for posting about this. Been meaning to give this a go the last few years but have always either been too busy or just totally missed it.

I'll aim to give it a go this year but probably won't... There's an idea I've been wanting to put to paper for a while now but not sure whether to try and write that or just to give myself a clean slate and splurge out 50,000 words pretty much without knowing where I'm going.

I love how every year this comes along and I love the idea, but then realise I can't be arsed.

Signed up last year but I don't think I even wrote a single word. I suppose I'll sign up and fail again this year. I'm sorely tempted to simply edit my shitty 10k story rather than do something entirely new.

Quick question and probably a dumb one but I wasn't sure...can you write about anything at all? Because I want to write a horror story for adults (like gory and stuff), would it be acceptable?

Yeah you can write anything. They don't actually get published at that site or anything as far as I remember. It's more just for yourself and a motive to so it.

Ah, I see. Still, it's a good idea and a good challenge. Would like to see how many people on here actually will attempt it. I, for one, will DEFINITELY try it. I've written loads of short stories but never a novel, would be interesting to see what I'd come up with in 31 days.

A question I can't find the answer to: How do they know you started the novel on the first of November? Do you have to put the date down everytime you write something or is it an honesty thing, do you just write the novel normally?

Edited by Animal

Largely an honesty thing. When you register there is a section whereby you put in your word count (or maybe even copy and paste everything and it does it for you) but theres no NaNoWriMo police, just your conscience.

Largely an honesty thing. When you register there is a section whereby you put in your word count (or maybe even copy and paste everything and it does it for you) but theres no NaNoWriMo police, just your conscience.

Thanks, I was wondering whether I would have to wreck my novel with putting dates in and stuff. I'm glad I don't. I think it's going to be interesting. I'm going to try and do a chapter a day so overall, my novel will be 30 chapters long, haha. Has anybody at N-Europe completed this challenge?

Edited by Animal

I don't think so. I posted it last year (topic is only a few pages back, as is the rush of posting that makes up the creative board) and a few people participated but I don't recall anyone finishing.

I really want to give it a go this year but the 1st is my mother's birthday, 2 and 3rd im in Paris, 5th is my graduation and then after the 7th I'm working.

Write six pages a day, it would work out to 180 pages which would be well over 50K words. If I succeed, I might post it here. Not sure. Has everyone decided what genre they're going for? Mine will be a horror story that I've been planning a while.

I think its around 1,666 pages a day roughly. Which never sounds that bad (can crank out an essay in 2 hours), much less alone free writing which doesn't require sources. However its finding that time per day...

I think mine may be more of a everyday life story and see if it leads somewhere. I think it will be more for a personal challenge then sharing it with others.

I think its around 1,666 pages a day roughly. Which never sounds that bad (can crank out an essay in 2 hours), much less alone free writing which doesn't require sources. However its finding that time per day...

I think mine may be more of a everyday life story and see if it leads somewhere. I think it will be more for a personal challenge then sharing it with others.

I think you might mean words there. That would be impressive if you could do that, lol.

It's a personal challenge for me too. I like sharing my stories with others, my friends seem to like my short stories alot (I've only recently told them I write things) and when I said I'm doing NaNoWriMo and told them what I had to do, they've encouraged me. I'm glad someone likes my stories, I didn't think anyone would, lol.

But yeah, this is more of a personal achievement for me and hopefully I'll succeed. If I put my mind to a task, I normally do it. I actually can't wait to start it now.

Mine will be a post-apocalypse zombie-esque thing... Already have the first 12k~ words, so it's slightly cheating, but I'm not just going to add on to it, I'm going to re-write it and expand upon it. If I do it :P

Mine will be a post-apocalypse zombie-esque thing... Already have the first 12k~ words, so it's slightly cheating, but I'm not just going to add on to it, I'm going to re-write it and expand upon it. If I do it :P

Sounds like a good story. I did a story about a zombie attack in...(wait for it)...Birmingham, haha. It reached 100 pages and I was about to end it when my computer screwed up and everything was deleted. :(

I still remember bits and bobs so I might try and re-write it again but not for NaNoWriMo. I've got something different planned.

You know, this creative board is a good place to share extracts if you want some constructive comments. We've had stories and poetry posted before, it's just shamefully dried right up.

I think I may finally have a story, it came to me while wondering the streets of Birmingham at night (as all the best things do).

Just a reminder; this starts two weeks yesterday. Anyone still considering it?

(which reminds me...must buy my mother a birthday present)

I'm still game but my story has changed. It's going to be a sort of fantasy book which is going to be in a series of five (hopefully) so I'll be set for this for five years. :heh:

Thing is, I have absolutely no idea what to call it. I want to call it 'The ______ Chronicles: [name of the book]'

I'm sure it'll come to me as soon as I start writing :p

Just a reminder, at midnight, Nanowrimo starts for the people who are participating. You can all start writing in five and a half hours :D

Cool. What's everyone's name on it, is it what your username is here? Mine is DudeDazz if anyone wants to add me as a buddy on there :p