N-Europe

Guitar

Gizmo

I've been learning guitar on/off for about a month, mostly watching videos online. I've mastered the intro / chorus section of Karma Police by Radiohead, and my friend showed me how to do Street Spirit for practice of strumming individual strings. Basically from KP I can now do most chord changes (I think) and from Street Spirit I'm a bit more comfortable with my other hand too. I can't yet manage bar chords, and I'm still concentrating on playing far too much to attempt to sing at the same time.

Basically I want to know where to go from here. I can't just learn random songs really slowly off online videos forever. Getting proper lessons isn't very likely either though. Anybody know of good online resources, good tracks I should learn (doesn't have to be actual songs by big artists, just things to play), good tricks I should pick up?

Just keep learning songs that you like. It'll keep you interested, and you'll pick up new techniques as you go along. Thats how I learned anyway.

This is a good website to get tabs from: http://www.911tabs.com/

Obviously don't start trying to play Hendrix straight away, but pick songs which you think you'll be comfortable playing. Then if and when you need advice on how to play something just come back here and ask :)

Hope that helps at all. Happy learning :)

Dude, you've been learning for a month and half. You shouldn't even be thinking about singing at all, just yet. :heh:

One important thing: When you're playing the bits that you know, try and get into the groove and the feel of the piece. This means making sure you get the speed of the song right, and feeling that connection between yourself and the music. I remember when I was learning "When You Say Nothing At All" by Ronan Keating, I had the right notes but I just couldn't enjoy what I was playing for some reason. It felt sloppy and I wasn't connecting at all. So, I slowed it down, making sure I "felt" each note, and I really enjoy it now. The feel is very important, with all instruments.

My advice would be to follow the link that DuD gave. I use that site for tabs, and it's great. Although, be wary: Some songs may not sound right, and you will see about 100 different tabs for the one song. Sometimes you will have to look around a little to get the right tab for you. That's what I found when I was looking for a tab to "Under The Bridge." Only know the intro and most of the verse so far, need to look at it again to get further.

Also, you hear good music around you all the time. So, learn as much as you can. Listen to music, then search for tabs for that piece. It's a great way to progress, and to find enjoyment in music you maybe didn't care much for before. So, play everything. Plus, the more songs you look at, the more you will get better at spotting patterns and rhythms. There's quite a lot of songs out there that use a G or C chord, for example, so...it's pretty great. :D My advice would also be to pick up a cheap scales or chord book, too. I did that, and they're great for developing strength in your fingers.

My final advice: Enjoy what you do. It's very hard learning an instrument, and there will be times where you want to cry because you feel you're not getting anywhere. But, stay passionate about it, and enjoy it as much as you can. The accomplishment you will feel when you learn something new is absolutely unreal.

There are three songs I'm going to give you that I think will be good for you to look at:

Johnny Cash - Hurt. It's relatively slow, but this is very good for getting that "feel". Every note is deliberate. :)

Nirvana - About a Girl - Acoustic version. This song is pretty good for perfecting up and down strokes. There's only a few chords needed for it (particularly the verse) but I think it's a nice and soothing piece to play.

Ronan Keating - When You Say Nothing At All. A nice little mix of a few chord shapes and note picking. When you get this right, you will feel quite happy. When you get it right and can sing it a bit further down the line, you will be ecstatic.

Also I think it helped me eventually to have a song that was too hard for me to play as a work in progress whilst i was learning other simpler songs.

Learning the hard song helps you improve more in the long run, but learning the simpler songs still allows you to see progress and lessens the frustrations of learning the hard song.

Also I think it helped me eventually to have a song that was too hard for me to play as a work in progress whilst i was learning other simpler songs.

Learning the hard song helps you improve more in the long run, but learning the simpler songs still allows you to see progress and lessens the frustrations of learning the hard song.

It's quite true to have a hard song. That way, you can attempt to play it every so often, and if you find yourself progressing through it, then you know you're doing quite well.

I'm not sure if it's a particularly solid song or not, but Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley is my song, like that. Although, really, I find it difficult because there is so much to remember, haha. However, that's coming along quite nicely. I think you find that the more you play guitar, the better your memory gets. From remembering tabs and notes. :D

Thanks guys. I'm quite enjoying it now that I can put together what sounds like a half decent tune. The reason I started learning was because I was handed a guitar just to hold onto for a minute while my friend did something else, and I was just entirely at a loss over what to do. If that happened now, I could have a little strum and make something reasonable come off it.

Currently struggling with trying to master a bar chord so that I can learn Karma Police right the way through. I think I'll try and learn "When you say nothing at all" aswell, I loved that song as a kid for some reason, cheers Flink :p

I can remember bar chords being an arse for me too, to start with.

I've got pretty lazy with them lately, quite often not bothering with either E string unless the song requires it to sound right.

e.g:

Fmaj becomes

e|-x

B|-1

G|-2

D|-3

A|-3

E|-x

that way each finger only holds one note.

I'd recommend you learn to do them properly first though, and i don't think that doing them this way would sound right on Karma Police anyway; by the sound of the song i'd imagine you have to strum the bass strings then treble strings of the chords to get the right sound..?

Other than that there are 3 ways I can think to make bar chords easier, however 2 involve changing your guitar's set up. The third is just practicing, so best of luck :) It might help to learn some newish indie songs seeing as most indie these days are purely bar chords..?

Finally, if it makes it any better, the first time i saw a bar chord tabbed i couldn't figure out how to play 6 notes with 4 fingers :red: I was like wtf :D

Yeah, I've no idea what alot of that post just said :D

I just gotta get used to twisting my wrist and finger round far enough to hold everything down. Luckily a couple of my friends are keen guitarists so I get sporadic "lessons" from them. I think I know how to do it now, it's just a case of being able to do it properly every time, and getting my fingers into position smoothly :)

Bar Chords are a bit of a bitch. I still have trouble with them, particuarly getting my index finger across the strings. For example, I can have my index across all six strings, but it won't be placed firmly on the B string, for example. I guess maybe I have small hands, haha. I just need to practice more.

To be honest, I haven't sat down properly with the guitar for a while now. A few months ago, I was really into it, but I've picked it up today for example and I don't feel as sharp as I did then. I'm going to revive my interest and actually try to nail these bluddy Bar Chords.

I can't (or struggle immensely with) multi-task with my hands. I have a mild processing problem or something, and I think that explains why I found both guitar and piano so annoying. I can't do one thing while I have to do something else as well.

So yeah, Good luck. I couldn't cut it.

My hands are stupid size so maybe i find them easier because of that :smile:

I find that i tend to put quite a lot of pressure on the strings with my index finger, to the point where my thumb can eventually start to ache.

It may help to have the guitar higher up your torso if your standing up while your playing??

Also make sure when you play a bar chord that you slide your thumb round the back of the fret board so that it is roughly in the middle of the board. With your thumb in that position you should be able get your fingers into bar chord positions easier and should also find that you can apply greater pressure to the strings with your barring finger.

To be honest, I haven't sat down properly with the guitar for a while now. A few months ago, I was really into it, but I've picked it up today for example and I don't feel as sharp as I did then. I'm going to revive my interest and actually try to nail these bluddy Bar Chords.

I hadn't played my guitar in ages either FLiNk, i started learning songs off of Word Gets Around by the Stereophonics last night.

So thank you Gizmo for making me play my guitar :)

It's funny how many people struggle with Barre chords. It's just a matter of practice though, you'll be amazed when suddenly one day you can play them no bother. It usually helps to curve your finger so as much as the side of it is beside the fret.

I hadn't played my guitar in ages either FLiNk, i started learning songs off of Word Gets Around by the Stereophonics last night.

Try "Just Looking" by the Phonics. That's a good choon, and it feels very satisfying to play. :)

It's funny how many people struggle with Barre chords. It's just a matter of practice though, you'll be amazed when suddenly one day you can play them no bother. It usually helps to curve your finger so as much as the side of it is beside the fret.

I think it is just a matter of practice and perseverance. It was pretty frustrating at first and then I thought "what? I'm neveeeeer going to be able to do this, my hands are too small." But it really is down to practice. I saw a video on youtube earlier today that mentioned you should almost play with the side of your finger on the fret instead of it being flat. I've given it a try, and it'll take some getting used to, heh.

Happy to be of service :D

Just back from my friend's band's gig, it was great. Makes me annoyed I didn't start learning sooner really!

Perhaps if I stick at it, by my last couple of years at Uni I'll be good enough to join a crappy local band :blush:

I can't (or struggle immensely with) multi-task with my hands. I have a mild processing problem or something, and I think that explains why I found both guitar and piano so annoying. I can't do one thing while I have to do something else as well.

So yeah, Good luck. I couldn't cut it.

Hah, I'm exactly the same.

I just bought 'The Bends' tab book and because I loved every song I learnt pretty quick. I can only play chords though, which was handy for when I used to play in bands and do backing. Also, watching videos on youtube is massively helpful as you can pause tracks and see covers or original artists playing songs. I learnt Videotape (another Radiohead song) in minutes today. Good times.

It's best to start with songs you like and then I went off and started taking those chords and making my own songs. (Granted, I am grade 8 keyboard so this may have helped a little!)

Everyone learns differently though. I am a visual learner so could learn from watching videos whereas you may be an audible learner.

Good luck!

If you're seriously thinking about committing your time to learning the guitar over the next year Gizmo then you should definitely get a few lessons or ask one of your friends to give you some pointers.

Printing some tabs off and learning your favourite songs is always awesome (especially when the tabs are accurate) but more often than not your fretting/picking technique might be a bit sloppy as a result. (speaking from first hand experience :heh:)

Learning some basic chords/scales and practicing them everyday are always good exercises for improvement.

And most importantly always make sure your guitar is in tune (EADGBe)!

Out of all the people I know that play guitar, it is really easy to tell who has had lessons because they can technically play a guitar, but it kinda sounds mechanical (if that makes sense). Their playing just lacks something compared to those who have found their own little ways of doing things.

• 1 month later...

Ooh, some Jimmy Eat World songs is a good idea. Dunno how I stumbled on Yellow Submarine, but yeah, it's really basic :p On beat strumming, basic chords. Only thing slightly difficult is the speed at which you switch between, but all that is is good practice. Perhaps I will look into some other Beatles songs too :smile:

I picked up my plectrum recently, and found that I struggle with it or am slower than I should be with eet. I've spent so long playing my acoustic with fingers.

So, my goal is to improve on that, massively. I haven't had a chance to sit and strum for a while, so I think I am in need of some quality time with eet. Need to name my guitar, too.