NEurope
PeeJ

To any Mac owners...

Wow the ipod update sure was disappointing.

________

Sv-1

Edited by Ronnie

Only if you were getting your expectations up. Plus the price drops now make the Touch extremely affordable for basically an awesome piece of kit. An odd addition to the Nano though, I thought - why does it need a camera? Ah well, it's not like I'm going to buy one :)

Only if you were getting your expectations up. Plus the price drops now make the Touch extremely affordable for basically an awesome piece of kit.

That's what I thought. Then I looked on the Apple site and while the 8GB is only £150 there's now no 16GB and the 32GB is £230. To make it more annoying the 8GB doesn't have the new hardware. While it's nice to see a price drop i'm more than a little disappointed, £230 is that little bit too much but 8GB isn't enough storage and the faster hardware will always be a boon.

I wonder if we'll get a date on the Zune HD any time soon? Buying a new touch is looking less likely :sad:

I was considering the Zune HD as well mainly due to Samsung not throwing in wifi with any of their players. But the downside to the Zune is that it doesn't support nearly as many codecs as some of the players coming from the likes of Samsung, creative, Archos or even Sony.

I must be one of the last people completely happy with an iPod classic (the newer designs).

I need an iPod that actually holds my music, so my 120 GB is perfect. Couldn't really do anything with a smaller one.

What's the largest you can get a touch in?

You need to BUY Apple care to extend the warrenty to 3 years from the normal 12 months.

Normal price of Apple Care for an iMac say is about £260. Students get it for about £55.

MASSIVE saving.

My mac is still a damn good computer, it's going on three years old. Like i said, i plan to use it for next 2-3 years as well :D Still plays WoW great :D

Argh, you sounded just like the woman who served me in the Apple store when I picked up a Mini. She said I'd have to be stupid not to get it because of the student discount; so I had to tell her I was actually very stupid. So stupid, in fact, that I have insurance that covers these kind of things when they do break. She then told me that my insurance company would get any Tom, Dick or Harry to fix it, and not professional Apple people. I explained to her that I love Dick.

Just tried the new iTunes, man is its UI design horrible!

________

NITRO

Edited by Ronnie

You need to BUY Apple care to extend the warrenty to 3 years from the normal 12 months.

Normal price of Apple Care for an iMac say is about £260. Students get it for about £55.

I bought a Mac as a student and the Apple care came free. I had my Airport and my Logic board replaced.

I bought a Mac as a student and the Apple care came free. I had my Airport and my Logic board replaced.

So you didn't pay anything extra, you got the discount and paid the price for the computer then got it free? I thought that was the system but was worried when KKOB said it wasn't the case!

Edited by Nintendohnut

Go to John Lewis, 3 year extended warranty for a iMac is £60 and that includes accidental damage like water etc which Applecare doesn't.

Go to John Lewis, 3 year extended warranty for a iMac is £60 and that includes accidental damage like water etc which Applecare doesn't.

Can you get it from apple, then get the three years warranty separately from John Lewis? Cause I still want the discount, but if I can get the Jonh Lewis thing alone then that would be swanky.

See I really don't mind forking out over £1000 on a laptop as long as I know it is going to last a good few years and will still be quite competitive with the spec. I understand if I buy say a £400 laptop more than likely it will be completely out of date come Christmas/early 2010.

My Powerbook G4 is about 5 and a half years old now. It still runs fine, and while it can't run them fast, the Adobe stuff is still very usable. Playing back HD video is sometimes a bit of a problem, and I can't run any games made in the last few years, but for schoolwork and stuff its still fine.

So you didn't pay anything extra, you got the discount and paid the price for the computer then got it free? I thought that was the system but was worried when KKOB said it wasn't the case!

I didn't even know I had the free Apple Care. My Laptop was just over two years old and it kept kernal panicing. I got a quote from around £400 to replace the logic board (without labor) I said I'd rather put the money to towards a new machine as its not worth spending so much on an aging laptop. Then the guy was looking through my details and he told me I bought it whilst I was a student and 3 years apple care was included. So they fixed it for free. I got a receipt and in total the bill came £600 odd pound. Which is ridiculous. But anyway it got fixed and didn't cost a penny and Apples service was brilliant.

I have a question please!

Right so as I have said I'm thinking that I will certainly be getting a new Mac this academic year at some point (probably after the update). A while ago I compared the 20" iMac with the MacBooks and MacBook Pros, and for the money the iMac certainly seemed to come out on top. Therefore I decided to get an iMac

However, now I have gone back and compared again - this time the 20" iMac and the 13" MacBook Pro (lowest end aluminium version) to see if this is still the case and it doesn't seem to be any more. The MacBook is now slightly cheaper and it's been updated with more RAM, a better DVD Drive, a better Hard drive and processor... etc. Therefore I am now questioning whether I actually want an iMac or whether I should go for the MacBook.

I currently have a 13" Polycarbonate MacBook with a 1.83 GHz processor (the first 'new' Macbook they released) which I was planning to keep and continue to use as my laptop, with the iMac being my main computer. However, if it is cheaper to get the aluminium Macbook and replace my old one entirely, is that a good idea?

Please also bare in mind I have student discount so the difference between the two prices won't be THAT much. I'm now just confused! I think I'd rather pay a little more for the little extra power the iMac offers, plus it will mean I have a desktop as well as a laptop, rather than just the one.

Please Help!

Is the Macbook you've got a 1.83GHz Dual Core or a single? I doubt you'd see much of a performance bump between a 1.83GHz dual and a 2.16GHz dual but up to 2.66GHz would be quite a jump. Also, have you though about how much your existing Macbook could sell for? You might be able to sell that and use the money to get a higher spec'd Macbook or a seperate monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Fair enough.

The obvious answer is an iMac then, though I think you're barking mad either way. If you're desperate for more power than your existing Macbook then i don't think you'll really find it with either machine. I made the leap from a 1.9GHz Athlon X2 to a 2.5GHz Core2Duo this year. Well worth the money, but i only paid ~£30 for that extra performance. You're away to put down £hundreds (compared to just docking your Macbook) for a similar boost in power.

I'm actually really surprised how crappy the spec of the iMacs are to be honest. Not wanting to start an argument here but you'd think that for £950 you'd at least get a bottom-end Core 2 Quad? What i'm really getting at with this is that they are so bad value for money that they're bound to get a pretty large upgrade fairly soon, playing the waiting game will pay off here i think.

I would expect an update sometime between late 2009 and early 2010 looking at the release patterns for the iMacs over the last few years. Its possible it will be a quad core as-well.

Yeah I'm expecting an update pretty soon, the MacBooks have had one recently but the iMacs are due one, I was also thinking towards the end of the year.

One of the main reasons I want a new computer is because my laptop is ancient and starting to fall to bits, plus my DVD drive is playing up (I've bashed it around a lot in the last four years but wish I'd been a little more careful now!) So yeah, it's not just for the power jump, although that will be nice.

I guess I should wait and see what the update brings if there even is one, and then make a decision later in the year/next year.

I'd go for the Macbook, but it depends how much you like having the freedom a laptop gives you.

I know what you mean about the old Macbooks falling apart! They were never the best quality!

Apple shipping is a total fucking joke

Oi, spam dude. Piss off.

Edited by Caris

Piss off? Spam?

I made a comment about Apple's shipping procedures. Thanks for your input though.

I just think it's amazing that two and a half weeks after ordering a macbook pro (with a bigger hard drive than standard) I still haven't received it.

________

Ford pilot history

Edited by Ronnie

It wasn't just regarding that post, it was your others too.

Oh and maybe Apple don't like you.