N-Europe

Need a website designed for my school

Iun

Howdy!

I need your help, you creative geniuses, you!

My school in China needs to bump up it's advertising ideas, and the first thing we need is an updated website. Our current one is worse than terrible.

Thing is, there's no money in it for you, but I can send you a heap of Chinese goodies - sweets, silk scarves, chopsticks, fake Le Sportsac bags...

Basically, I'm asking a big favour for little return other than the experience and aforementioned goodies.

Answers on a postcard...

EDIT:

What, not even a sarcastic reply?

Edited by Iun
Automerged Doublepost

Howdy!

I need your help, you creative geniuses, you!

My school in China needs to bump up it's advertising ideas, and the first thing we need is an updated website. Our current one is worse than terrible.

Thing is, there's no money in it for you, but I can send you a heap of Chinese goodies - sweets, silk scarves, chopsticks, fake Le Sportsac bags...

Basically, I'm asking a big favour for little return other than the experience and aforementioned goodies.

Answers on a postcard...

EDIT:

What, not even a sarcastic reply?

Whats the link of the old website?

Um.............. that's a website. I'd love to pitch in and help but everything is up in the air at the moment, maybe if the forum could maybe work together on throwing something together would be good. I'm thinking a horizontal nav bar across the top with logo left, maybe with a header image of some kids. Maybe a Jquery powered hero banner. And then some text text text. What sort of resources are we working with. For example is there a mysql database to fall back on?

I have to say I really like his html. Really old skool.

Edited by Ten10

A php/MySql would certainly help with things in the long run (enabling stuff like putting news articles without needing to edit the code).

While I'd love to help, I don't really have much time to spend on it and I've got another website to do first (if I ever get round to it).

Like Ten10 said, what are the possibilities?

Mysql or other database.

Is PHP allowed, or does it have to be html/css?

Whatever is easiest for maintenance and adding new content.

Once upon a time I would be thrusting my services upon you but... well I just don't have time for this kind of thing. Unless you want to get this site redone officially and professionally... for a £320/day basic daily rate.

Putting that into context.... that's 3200 RMB, give or take a few Yuan. That's well above the average monthly wage for our teachers here. Sadly, there's just no more money to spare. I'd be paying for and sending goodies to you myself without the intervention of the school.

Your best bet if you want easily managable content is definitely php, specifically a CMS (Content Management System). There are complicated ones out there like Joomla!, which you'll need someone to build a design around for you really. But you could always just use Wordpress. It's primarily blogging software, but you can do a lot with it and all the pre-made templates look better than the site you linked in the original post.... Both are free but the latter takes no web developing knowledge.

Also there are always freelance web developers in or fresh-out-of college who will be looking to boost their portfolio, maybe you could find one over there?

Edited by Shorty