NEurope
Dyson

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - Reflex Edition

Any game on wii will look poor against ps3 or xbox . And that's the reason why the reviews haven't scored it as high. But it's one of the few games you can compare as it's not cut down, all the levels are the same and all the online game modes remain! That couldn't be said for cod5.

I've been playing it for a few days now and still believe it's one of best games on the wii and online is far better than conduit or cod5.

Just been informed that I'm to receive a copy from Activision next week so I'll be joining some of you people online. Looking forward to it. I have really good memories of playing this on the 360 so I hope to god the sniper levels remain as visceral and entertaining as they were then because they are undoubtedly the best levels in an FPS ever.

Are the people who bought this game experiencing any issues with the controls and frame rate???

The IGN reviewer seems to be emphasising that the pointer aiming is too unresponsive, especially when compared to other similar games like The Conduit / Metroid Primes e.t.c..?

I really want to get this, but if the aiming is shoddy.. well thats a pretty big floor in an FPS.

Well, I've played the PS3-version, and decided to give the Wii-version a spin, and my impressions are more or less the same as always:

Yes, the graphics are seriously downgraded, what is to be expected. It's not the best looking game on Wii, but better than WoW and it's quite impressive that what matters is still inthere. In short, it's SD (d'uh), 30pfs, no fancy lighting-effects, details missing like not being able to shoot television, some smoke is missing, some background details aren't there (plants, boxes, etc)etc. But nothing that has an impact on the gameplay has been compromised, like being able to blow up cars, etc.

So graphically, it's not bad, but no new standard for Wii. But taker into account that every single setpiece, every single character, enemy and vehicle is inthere. No small feat!

What stroke me as odd is that the mission-briefing cutscenes are very badly compressed.

I've yet to see some framerate problems and an effect on the reticle. I won't say it's a smooth 30fps at all times, but very rarely it dips slightly in very intensive scenes, but you don't even notice. No problems with the pointer whatsoever. Makes me wonder if IGN's copy is buggy.

Gameplaywise, it's the same ol' love-it-or-hate-it. I personally love the extra control the Wii offers. It's harder in some places because it's not so easy to simply rest your reticle and wait until someone pops his head up. But I thinks it's more fun than dual analogue controls, and is a defenitive advantage of the Wii-version.

Definitive version? Nope, just a different version. The visuals have been cut back considerably and it has a defenitive effect on the overall expierence, but once you don't compare to the HD-brothers, it's not that bad. Controls are a plus. Wish it had some more buttons, but it's more fun and natural.

But... as with all FPS's on Wii, if you're not sure, give it a rental first.

Cheers for that Strange Cookie, I think i'll be getting this soon then. :)

My list of games to get just keeps on growing =]

Are the people who bought this game experiencing any issues with the controls and frame rate???

The IGN reviewer seems to be emphasising that the pointer aiming is too unresponsive, especially when compared to other similar games like The Conduit / Metroid Primes e.t.c..?

I really want to get this, but if the aiming is shoddy.. well thats a pretty big floor in an FPS.

I've been playing on modern warfare for a week now but went back and had a few games on the conduit last night -

Frame rate / graphics - yes the conduit looks better, the texture of walls, floor etc are great but after a short time it all becomes very boring, levels are simple and just mirror images of themselves.

Ok so MW isn't the best I’ve seen but at least on par with COD5; and you can interact with objects-blow up cars, shoot cans etc etc (missing from Conduit)

Reviewers seem to compare this to the xbox or ps3 too much, no game on the wii is going to match them for graphics.

One of the best things (also missing from conduit) is that you can run, it makes for much better gameplay. Frame rate just isn't an issue and doesn't impact on gameplay whatsoever, why reviewers are commenting on it i have no idea???(again maybe compared to ps3 /xbox)

I actually think the gameplay is better on the wii. Having less people per match is surprisingly better, yes better!

18people in one match can be too much, it's way too confusing, with people just running around everywhere (have a look at some of the xbox/ ps3 MW2 videos to see what i mean) As soon as you kill someone an opponent then kills you, less players seems to bring out a more tactical approach.

Conduit takes ages to get started maybe this is for wii speak? not sure but is so annoying. With MW you are in a lobby straight away and I haven't experienced any lag at all. Yes shame no wii speak on MW (there's nothing funnier that hearing beverage die on the conduit !)

Aiming is also fine no different than COD5 or conduit, I got a 15 kill streak the other day (and others have much higher) Now if aiming was a problem this just wouldn't happen, everyone would just get one or two kills then die.

Anyway... hope this answers your question.

Cheers ben :)

I'm not particularly bothered by graphics, as someone said in a different thread: as long as they're adequate i'm happy.

TBH, I think the game looks pretty good..?

I'm very happy to hear that the controls aren't flawed. I liked the pointer aiming from The Conduit, but there was something (i don't actually know what it was) with the game that just didn't grab me. As you said, it became boring and I found it very easy to put down. I could play games like Goldeneye and Timesplitters for hours and hours at a time and not want to put them down, I really hope this can offer me something similar to those experiences.

I'm definately gonna be getting this, i just don't know how soon. Theres quite a few games i wanna get atm.

Any game on wii will look poor against ps3 or xbox . And that's the reason why the reviews haven't scored it as high. But it's one of the few games you can compare as it's not cut down, all the levels are the same and all the online game modes remain! That couldn't be said for cod5.

I've been playing it for a few days now and still believe it's one of best games on the wii and online is far better than conduit or cod5.

Same here, I've put in nearly 12 hours online and I haven't had a single problem. I'm also well through the single player now and will soon finish that too. I have enjoyed the multiplaye rmuch more on the Wii. It's defo the best online shooter on the Wii.

I have only experienced minor drops in framerate on one of the single player missions so far. I haven't had any problems in multiplayer.

EDIT:

I have also been playing on COD:MW2 online. I have had a few issues with it. It's looks great and plays well, but I don't feel it is as well balanced as the first. The lack of boot camp, which was a great inclusion in WAW is sadly missed. This means it may be your first go and you get thrown in with players who are level 20+ and totally own you. What's more the new kill streaks are great for people who have unlocked them, but they seriously unbalance the game for those who don't. I'll have to play it a lot more before I pass final judgement, but so far it seems a little too tilted in the favour of those who dedicate their lives to the game and very unforgiving for those who want to have fun and play a few games each night.

Edited by Zechs Merquise

I have also been playing on COD:MW2 online. I have had a few issues with it. It's looks great and plays well, but I don't feel it is as well balanced as the first. The lack of boot camp, which was a great inclusion in WAW is sadly missed. This means it may be your first go and you get thrown in with players who are level 20+ and totally own you. What's more the new kill streaks are great for people who have unlocked them, but they seriously unbalance the game for those who don't. I'll have to play it a lot more before I pass final judgement, but so far it seems a little too tilted in the favour of those who dedicate their lives to the game and very unforgiving for those who want to have fun and play a few games each night.

Here's hoping they patch that!

Mario I'm sure I saw it in asda for £28

It's worth it just for the search and destroy mode!

Some great reviews on the play .com link !!

Edited by ben

Maybe not showing anything of a game until its released is a good strategy for positive reviews.

Maybe not showing anything of a game until its released is a good strategy for positive reviews.

ya thats probably the mistake dead rising made.

That and it really did look shit.

It's great that they're getting good reviews with this one. However, I don't agree that it's neccessarily the best way to publicise your game, at all. A lot of people put two and two together and thought (a few months back) "Ok, it's already been released on other consoles quite a while back, it's being brought over to the Wii and the developers are not releasing any screens or footage for this game. That can't be good." I think many wrote this off as a shoddy port or a cheap cash-in from the start.

I don't know how well this is selling, but I wouldn't be surprised if people felt a bit alienated from the start over this. Why hide it? I, like many, were quite surprised at how good that it actually looks graphically. And, to hear that it plays well is another huge boost. So, why hide it? Why not actually market this and be proud of it? I think this could be somewhat of a cult game for Wii owners, where not many at all buy it (due to the lack of publicity), but it could be a game that many play and talk about for quite some time.

Agree not many people seem to have bought this game and probably due to so little hype. It's a shame as the online action is something wii owners have been missing out on, yet this really does deliver! Anyone who's not sure about making the plunge should go for it!

Agree not many people seem to have bought this game and probably due to so little hype. It's a shame as the online action is something wii owners have been missing out on, yet this really does deliver! Anyone who's not sure about making the plunge should go for it!

It's sold 200,000 copies so far, not ground breaking by all means, but inline with WAW's opening sales. I'll have to put my friend code up here soon.

EDIT:

I've noticed a guy called Dazran303 posting on the comments of the review, I played you last night! My handle is [sAS] GHOST for anyone that has bumped into me!

Edited by Zechs Merquise