NEurope
Tellyn

Sir Bobby Robson Loses Battle With Cancer

Former England manager Sir Bobby Robson has died at the age of 76, following a long battle with cancer.

_46136855_robson460282.jpg

Robson will be best remembered on the international stage for leading England to the 1990 World Cup semi-final.

At club level, he cut his managerial teeth at Fulham before establishing his credentials at Ipswich where he won the FA Cup and Uefa Cup in a 13-year stay.

Spells at PSV Eindhoven, Sporting Lisbon, Porto and Barcelona followed before he managed at Newcastle.

Robson made his final public appearance at a charity match at Newcastle's St James' Park on Sunday.

An England side, featuring Alan Shearer and several members of the 1990 World Cup squad including Paul Gascoigne and Peter Shilton, beat a Germany team 3-2 in front of almost 30,000 spectators.

The game was a repeat of the 1990 World Cup semi-final when England, managed by Sir Bobby, lost on penalties. Shearer scored the winner from the penalty spot.

A statement issued on behalf of his family said: "It is with great sadness that it has been announced today that Sir Bobby Robson has lost his long and courageous battle with cancer.

"He died very peacefully this morning (Friday) at his home in County Durham with his wife and family beside him.

"Sir Bobby's funeral will be private and for family members only.

"A thanksgiving service in celebration of Sir Bobby's life will be held at a later date for his many friends and colleagues.

"Lady Robson and the family would very much appreciate it if their privacy could be respected at this difficult time."

As a player, Robson, who played on the wing, was a key member of the Fulham and West Brom team during the 1950s and 1960s and also won 20 caps for England.

But it was in management that he made his name.

After a brief spell as a player-coach with Vancouver Royals in the North American Soccer League, he took over as boss of Fulham in January 1968 but was sacked by Christmas.

He took over as Ipswich manager in 1969 and guided the unfashionable East Anglian club to FA Cup and Uefa Cup victories in 1978 and 1981 respectively.

He also twice led the Portman Road outfit to the runners-up spot in the old First Division.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8177945.stm

Rest in peace.

True Gentleman of the game and football Legend. Rest In Peace Sir Bobby Robson.

wtf...

I saw him on that BBC3 crappy England vs Germany Seniors match like two days ago in the crowd!

Godamnit, what a legend.

wtf...

I saw him on that BBC3 crappy England vs Germany Seniors match like two days ago in the crowd!

Godamnit, what a legend.

That was a charity match in his honour..

A true legend of the sport and a gentleman as someone has already said. R.I.P. Sir Bobby.

:bowdown::sad:

As a newcastle fan i am gutted. Have some fond memorys of the old guy. At least the fans got to say good bye to him at his 'crappy' :indeed: charity game. The most shamefull thing that ever happened at newcastle was his sacking.

As Man Utd Fan, even I a gutted. Remember watching him guide Newcastle in some of their best years that I can remember in the Premiershio, and he always came across as a passionate manager who loved the game. Shame to know that hes gone.

That was a charity match in his honour..

I just dashed in the room and out again I didn't realise it was for him.

Very sad day. He had a good send off on Sunday when he was at St James' Park.

I've recently lost my uncle to cancer who battled if for 5 years.... stories are so similar. It's so sad, Cancer is horrible.

I woke up very late today, and so I hadn't done my daily checking of Sky Sports News when I had made my way downstairs. My Mum told me that Sir Bobby Robson had died, and I thought maybe she had made a huge mistake. Then, I checked on tv, and it was true. One of those heart-stopping moments, I think. I have a huge respect for this man and for what he achieved.

I saw an interview with Sir Alex Ferguson today as well, and he talked about Bobby and how they were going to have dinner together on Monday with Bobby Charlton. He also said that before every big game, Bobby Robson rang to wish him good luck, and that it was a nice gesture from a man who took the time to do these good things for others.

Very sad to hear about this. :(

Rest In Peace.

Just saw the memorial program on BBC about him, it was absolutely excellent. Used lots of footage from the documentary about him a few years ago, including interviews with him, and several people who have worked with him. They all painted a picture of a fantastic manager, but more than that a really lovely man. When they showed more recent pictures of him towards the end (a few clips of his birthday in february this year) I admit I nearly let out a manly tear - he looked so... tired. It was such a shame to see all of the clips before and interviews where he is totally full of life and vigour, and to see what cancer can do to someone like that in two years is just horrible.

A great man, and one of the few real gentlemen left in football. RIP Sir Bobby.