Can You Swim?

Kirkatronics

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't swim....

Well I could probably keep myself afloat if I was ever drowning, but it would be some serious doggy paddling :heh: I've never really been bothered really, and I think that now that I've got to this age I just don't really see the point in learning!

Yeah I can, although I havent done now in quite a few years.

When I was younger I used to swim for my local towns swimming club in the galas, didnt really enjoy it back then though. The people who ran it were tossers.

We went the other day, thats how i found out a few of my friends couldnt swim.

I can't swim....

Well I could probably keep myself afloat if I was ever drowning, but it would be some serious doggy paddling :heh: I've never really been bothered really, and I think that now that I've got to this age I just don't really see the point in learning!

Doggy paddle is so hard! Its about 5 times harder to stay afloat doing it.

I don't get how people cannot swim. They may not be able to do it well but it's a pretty simple motion. No?

Its hard to grasp because it comes so simply to us.

Some people probobly can swim, but are afraid of the water.

I can swim, I had lessons when I was a kid and I actually got pretty far (up to lifesaving/silver/gold whatever the heck it was called) and I could swim pretty fast. But that was a looong time ago so now it's just the basics.

I think it's pretty rare that you can't swim at all, instinct takes over - the best way to start learning is to be thrown in, you'll get the doggy paddle down straight away.

Hence the phrase "thrown in at the deep end".

Well, that's what I mean, I could probably do so if needs be but I've never learnt properly. Never really seen the need!

Give it a go, its fun.

I think its a skill everyone needs, what if you or a loved one falls in some water?

We learnt to swim at school. Haven't done it for ages, but I'm fairly sure I still can.

Go do it, its really enjoyable and its good for you :)

Its like riding a bike, you never forget how.

I can swim, I had lessons when I was a kid and I actually got pretty far (up to lifesaving/silver/gold whatever the heck it was called) and I could swim pretty fast. But that was a looong time ago so now it's just the basics.

I think it's pretty rare that you can't swim at all, instinct takes over - the best way to start learning is to be thrown in, you'll get the doggy paddle down straight away.

Hence the phrase "thrown in at the deep end".

When we were at school one of my friends fell in the pool at the deep end, and he couldnt swim.

He sank like a stone, and couldnt get out.

The lifeguard had to get him.

Edited by Kirkatronics
Automerged Doublepost

Give it a go, its fun.

I think its a skill everyone needs, what if you or a loved one falls in some water?

Go do it, its really enjoyable and its good for you :)

I wouldn't be so stupid.... and if it was a loved one, well I presume they'd be able to swim and if they can't then what the hell are the doing messing around near water?

:heh:

I wouldn't be so stupid.... and if it was a loved one, well I presume they'd be able to swim and if they can't then what the hell are the doing messing around near water?

Did anyone see that Neighbours where Zeke drowned in a puddle? That was funny as fuck.

Puddles crop up every where, just think if he could swim his chances of survival would have increaased.

Aslong as the currents werent too strong he could have got out of there.

See Eddage, always important... Puddles can be anywhere!

Puddles crop up every where, just think if he could swim his chances of survival would have increaased.

Aslong as the currents werent too strong he could have got out of there.

See Eddage, always important... Puddles can be anywhere!

Yeah, I really don't think I'm gonna be falling into any puddles any time soon. Even if I do I have a sure fire plan to avoid drowning that doesn't even involve swimming... it's called standing up...

I don't get how people cannot swim. They may not be able to do it well but it's a pretty simple motion. No?

I never managed to learn breast swimming (not entirely sure what it's called in English), as I found the movements to do squat neither to keep me afloat nor push me forward. :heh:

I can swim crawl, but my horrible conditioning means that I wear out pretty quickly. Still, I think I know enough swimming to survive, though I hate being in deep waters where I can't reach the bottom. It makes me panic a little if I don't manage to keep myself under calm control.

I never managed to learn breast swimming (not entirely sure what it's called in English), as I found the movements to do squat neither to keep me afloat nor push me forward. :heh:

I can swim crawl, but my horrible conditioning means that I wear out pretty quickly. Still, I think I know enough swimming to survive, though I hate being in deep waters where I can't reach the bottom. It makes me panic a little if I don't manage to keep myself under calm control.

Its breast stroke here.

Its easy :)

He flapped around like a fish out of water. It was great.

Skip to 3:30:

[noparse][/noparse]

Seriously, what the hell?

Haha, that's the funniest thing I've seen in ages, why didn't he just roll over or summit o_O

I dunno. Looked like he was having a panic attack or something.

Don't you learn to swim in school? We got taught swimming in primary school, and it was compulsory.

I also did some swimming camps as a kid and managed to get up to the silver diploma thingie. Tried for gold once I think but because of a stupid shirt with those horrible press buttons I couldn't do one of the exercises so couldn't finish it. =(

Anyway I can still swim and do the basics (breast stroke, crawl and back crawl), though I rarely swim anymore. Hate going out in public in a bikini. >.>;

Haha, that's the funniest thing I've seen in ages, why didn't he just roll over or summit o_O

Because he can't swim! That's what'll happen to you if you fall in a puddle.

Have you never wanted to swim just because it's fun? Throwing a ball around, diving underwater, splashing, cooling off while on holiday etc?

Yeah my primary school had a pool of its own, and in later years we were taken to the pool in town in Ipswich called Crown Pools. Which btw is an incredibly dull swimming pool (or it was back then, anyway). But I'm pretty sure I learned before they started it at school.

Yeah my primary school had a pool of its own, and in later years we were taken to the pool in town in Ipswich called Crown Pools. Which btw is an incredibly dull swimming pool (or it was back then, anyway). But I'm pretty sure I learned before they started it at school.

Yeah mine had its own pool aswell, not particularly good but I always did like it when we swam and it started raining

I've never really enjoyed swimming, I can do it it's just I'd rather mess around in a pool rather than practicing various stokes. I was always scared in Primary School when we went swimming, there were little tests that put a lot of pressure on everyone and it took me out of my comfort zone.

There was something chilling about the smell and atmosphere of the big pool that just made it unenjoyable when you knew you'd be tested, which went away when it became 'play time'.