Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Indoor aerial/freeview

Shorty

Hi,

Just moved house and the rooftop aerial stinks, get a really crappy reception. Can anyone reccomend some kind of awesome indoor aerial? I don't really know anything about them but I know the £10-20 kind you buy from supermarkets/wilkos/argos etc tend to suck despite all the claims they have on the outside of the box.

Also, I've never had freeview and now would be a good time to get it, does that help/affect what I'm after in any way?

As long as the aerial supports freeview, which pretty much all new ones do, you'll be okay. I'm not too sure what the technical spec is that you need to look out for... but the rooftop one at this place I'm at looks old as hell and even supports it. I recently got my first digital TV a couple of weeks ago, but like I said I'm using a rooftop one... so, I can't really advise any.

Freeview reception may be different to your regular reception. When I lived in Nottingham I had great regular reception but my freeview was rubbish. I had to climb on the roof and turn the aerial to the same direction everyone else's aerials were pointing (Adventure!).

Aerial signal boosters can be pretty good, and can be picked up from somewhere like Argos for a few quid. Argos are good for returning if it doesn't suit your needs too.

My aerial cost £15 from maplin and works a dream. But I am in London and hit up the big Crystal Palace signal. It's one of those one for all do dars

You could connect a coathanger and get a perfect signal since you're in London, no doubt

You could connect a coathanger and get a perfect signal since you're in London, no doubt

Indeed. Actually even sticking my finger in the back of the aerial socket on the tv and using myself as the aerial works. It really does. :)

I think I've bought three indoor aerials now, for my room at home after finding just how bad my reception is. They weren't worth the money, ranging for £5 to near £25, I'd see about getting freeview and see how the reception is, the house at uni doesn't get incredibly reception for 'normal' telly but freeview is near perfect.

If you do buy from argos, stay away from their own brand, I've never had a piece of theirs that has worked.

Any chance of adjusting the rooftop one? Freeview can suck if the aerial has bad reception, you'll not get all the channels. We've got a rooftop kind of aerial, though it's not really rooftop, as it's inside the loft, but whenever it gets knocked bbc2 tends to get shit, and often my freeview will too. I don't know if you can get any indoor aerials as good as rooftop ones?

On the whole it's not too bad though. However, I'm also not too far from Platty so I might just be having the london luck.