NEurope
The Lillster

Comparisions: Nintendo Motion Controls VS Sony Motion Controls

Terms: I'd just like to state that I havn't created this thread to start a war.

1. What I mean by that is, don't come in here using disinformation to prove your point.

2. That includes 30fps Youtube videos.

3. This thread is purely based on the technology of the two products and how they work and what advantages each technology has over the other.

4. No system wars please.

5. If things do get messy, whoever starts the controversy, please backup your claims with solid evidence.

By posting in this thread you agree to these terms!

What I want to know is which method is best overal, does it really matter which one is best and how does the technology work.

They're basically the same function wise but with two different approaches. The light wang system might have some problems for multiplayer though.

The M+ uses an Accelerometer and a Multi Axis Gyro-censor. So I would think it sends back 6 numbers to the console in regards to motion so I would imagine its not that hard to program for. That said, I don't know anything about Sony's system. I'm not saying either is better btw.

Sony seems to employ more technology to get the same results as the Wiimote with Motion+. What I saw in the tech demos of Sony's was basically the same as what I've seen in Wii Sports Resort. The downside is that Sony seems to be requiring you to need the EyeToy. I think the orbs on the wands are essentially the IR of the Wiimote to allow the eyetoy to track them easier. I think it's a combination of Motion(accelerometers) and Motion Tracking(The eyetoy seeing what you do, similar to Natal).

At the moment it seems to me that the Wiimote with Motion plus is better as with (seemingly) less technology. That isn't to say though that sony is any worse, I just haven't seen anything yet. I actually thing the possibilities are higher with the PS3.

If it's not too much trouble is it ok if everyone can post links from where they are getting their information from please.

Thanks.

Wii M+ and Sony's solution are practically the same. The main difference is Sony's pointing method is probably a bit more robust, using the high quality camera of PS Eye rather than the slightly poorer cameras incorporated into the Wii Remote.

Overall the Sony solution is the more advanced, does it matter? Not really. Essentially we've got the same control solution on both platforms, which should lead to more core games being cross developed for both platforms. Large install base of Wii being backed up by active core market on PS3.

It could lead to problems for Nintendo if these start performing better on PS3 and so development moving more towards high end PS3 motion controlled games, possibly this will bring forward the launch of a Wii HD to maintain development parity between the two machines.

Whatever happens this is good news for gamers and should lead to a better and wider selection of games on both machines.

Other than the fact that SONY's product requires the camera, they have the same effect. The only thing that holds SONY's back is the lack of nunchuck, I know there were two wands in their demo, but they lacked an analogue stick which is still central to movement in most games.

I don't think Sony's will require the camera unless being used for pointing, in the same way the wii remotes don't always need to be line of sight with the sensor bar. You'd have to imagine they will add analogue sticks to their remotes before they're on the market, it would be a massive oversight not to.

I don't think Sony's will require the camera unless being used for pointing' date=' in the same way the wii remotes don't always need to be line of sight with the sensor bar. You'd have to imagine they will add analogue sticks to their remotes before they're on the market, it would be a massive oversight not to.[/quote']

I thought the meat and potatoes was in the camera (including motion sensing).

How do you mean? As far as I can tell the camera is just for positioning, same way as the Wii Sensor Bar works.

Well, my opinion, after having seen videos of all 3 in action, and having pleanty of ahnds on time with the wii reomte standard, is this.

Microsoft's looked very impressive in how much movment it recognised, though hopefully they will bring out a few alternative controle methods, as just the body movemnts could limit the game's potental.

Motion + looks ok. It's good that they have finaly got 1:1 movement sorted, though with a techincaly less advanced system, the application for it is a tiny bit stunted. Not recognising the body via a camera could be seen as a limit, though I guess motion+ may be able to guess what your doing body wise. (knee bends and all that)

Sony's effort is hard to call. From the demonstration, it seemed the best of both worlds, the wide range of possible action of natal, with the more traditional gaming applications from motion+. The prcision of movement was very impressive, especialy with the sword demo. Hopefully sony will stick an analouge on one of the light dildo things, and redesign them so they don't look like a pair of dildo's.

One thing that worries me about both sont and microsoft's efforts, will you HAVE to stand to play most games? I have a friend who coulden't be bothered to turn the wii remote like a wheel (yet could be bothered to go to the gym 5 days a week?) as it was "too much effort".

I shall keep an eye all off them, and see how things develop.

Sony's you wouldn't have to stand at all, same as a wiimote. Natal is meant to be fine with you sitting down but I imagine it would depend on the game. Most of the ones they demoed obviously you'd need to be standing but I'm sure others wouldn't require it at all.

Other than the fact that SONY's product requires the camera, they have the same effect. The only thing that holds SONY's back is the lack of nunchuck, I know there were two wands in their demo, but they lacked an analogue stick which is still central to movement in most games.

They didn't lack an analogue stick. I think it is in the tank demo that he uses it and moves the tank. Sony's product doesn't require the camera, it is the camera and the wands.

Also in the patents for the tech there is an analogue stick.

http://kotaku.com/5071145/sony-patents-ultrasonic-waggle-controller-technology

medium_2987274056_5c31d8f2dd_o.jpg

Also the two controls have the advantage of being located separately and relative to each other.

medium_2986442047_73ea8c374b_o.jpg

It can also track multiple wands so people shouldn't be worried about multiplayer.

medium_2987274002_d0e589864b_o.jpg

Not really that hard since the PS3 won't lose the wand just because it cannot see it but some people were worried.

And just like Natal the PSEye can track full body movement.

medium_2987298580_266d91ba70_o.jpg

And even track head movement separately.

Also the microphone array on the PSEye is very advance.

Microphone

The PlayStation Eye features a built-in four-capsule[1] microphone array, with which the PlayStation 3 can employ[10] technologies for multi-directional voice location tracking, echo cancellation, and background noise suppression. This allows the peripheral to be used for speech recognition and audio chat in noisy environments without the use of a headset.[1] The PlayStation Eye microphone array operates with each channel processing 16-bit samples at a sampling rate of 48 kilohertz, and a signal-to-noise ratio of 90 decibels.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Eye#Microphone

The microphone array technology in PLAYSTATION Eye is really state-of-the-art. In effect, it allows PLAYSTATION Eye to listen digitally in a certain direction, and ignore sounds from other directions. This, combined with other noise-cancelling technology, allows for sound quality on par with very high-end speakerphones or video-conferencing equipment.

http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/news/articles/detail/item85177/Introducing-PLAYSTATION-Eye/

So it has voice recognition and what direction the person speaking is.

On top of that it can do object recognition as demonstrated in EyePet which is out in a couple months.

Edited by Daft

Much of the tricks of the camera aren't really hardware related, most of those recognition algorithms can be applied to common webcams.

i want to see people playing it first because i have been fooled many times by videos, and then it appears that it was not like the video

and bt the way i stick with my Wii and 360

but the Eyepet looks cool if it really turns out that way,

The one problem with the Playstation one appears to be that for it to work, you can tell by how it maps it in the video, the controller has to be in view of the Playstation Eye which limits it significantly. When playing on my Wii, I'm usually off to the side of my tv and have to move if I'm playing a game that requires use of the IR. This will definitely be detrimental in the long run

Edited by Serebii

Is the technology in the Wii motion+ patented by Nintendo or another company.

Does anyone have links to these patents?

By the way it's quite interested how both technologies work.

It's bullshit comparing them..motion plus wins so far because guess what it has GAMES that prove it.

more than likely sonys one will end up better but it's a good 2 years before it probably comes out.. motion plus is almost here now!

I hate when companies annouce things without games to prove them.. nintendo are just as stupid with their vitality sensor

I'm neither familiar with or aroused by the technology in either controller. People wanna tell me they basically give equal fidelity? Fine.

Fact of the matter is MotionPlus out this week and works with software from day 1 - and that software list is growing far quicker than Natal's or Sony's wang. Choice is clear for me.

The one problem with the Playstation one appears to be that for it to work, you can tell by how it maps it in the video, the controller has to be in view of the Playstation Eye which limits it significantly. When playing on my Wii, I'm usually off to the side of my tv and have to move if I'm playing a game that requires use of the IR. This will definitely be detrimental in the long run

Sometimes if I'm playing a game at an angle, I move the sensor bar slightly. Or, I sometimes move the tv, haha.

Could that be done with the Eye? If so, then it goes a little way to solving that problem. It's not perfect, but it can help.

I'm neither familiar with or aroused by the technology in either controller. People wanna tell me they basically give equal fidelity? Fine.

Fact of the matter is MotionPlus out this week and works with software from day 1 - and that software list is growing far quicker than Natal's or Sony's wang. Choice is clear for me.

Terms: I'd just like to state that I havn't created this thread to start a war.

1. What I mean by that is, don't come in here using disinformation to prove your point.

2. That includes 30fps Youtube videos.

3. This thread is purely based on the technology of the two products and how they work and what advantages each technology has over the other.

4. No system wars please.

By posting in this thread you agree to these terms!

What I want to know is which method is best overal, does it really matter which one is best and how does the technology work.

Not only that but Natal isn't even included in the disscussion.

If you want to start a war, do it in your own thread.

Not only that but Natal isn't even included in the disscussion.

If you want to start a war, do it in your own thread.

you created a thread with the words comparison..... followed by nintendo and sony..

comparison=debate.... debate=argument and argument= system war

well sometihng like that the idea is when you mention nintendo and sony in one thread title expect trouble :D

but I don't think anything in this thread has any system war written over it.. besides the word wang :)

so stop being a fanny :)

MY OPINION!