N-Europe

Phone Question.

Caris

Me and my mate were talking about this a couple of weeks ago and I thought someone here might be able to tell me.

Do mobile phone operators like Orange, o2 etc keep a record of your calls and texts? I don't mean who you rang I mean the actual conversation like what you said etc (recording of your voice or what was in the text message).

I'm not sure if it conflicts with the data protection act or not.

Anyone know?

pretty sure they can't do that. Can you even imagine the storage required for even a minute of audio for every Orange phone?

It is possible to recover texts though- they're just data packets being relayed off servers or whatever.

Yeah texts are kept, records of phone calls (in terms of who you called, how long for, etc) are also kept. I guess finding out the location of someone on a phone is possible, but it is pretty hard. You can find out where someone was once they made the phone call only to a select area (within a tower range). But... in theory if you were on the phone then you could be tracked... scary.

Also, all phones can be made to be blown up in your hands while using them. Phone kill switches. Watch out.

Yeah texts are kept, records of phone calls (in terms of who you called, how long for, etc) are also kept. I guess finding out the location of someone on a phone is possible, but it is pretty hard. You can find out where someone was once they made the phone call only to a select area (within a tower range). But... in theory if you were on the phone then you could be tracked... scary.

Also, all phones can be made to be blown up in your hands while using them. Phone kill switches. Watch out.

Pretty sure you can be tracked without making a call because your phone is in contact with the nearest cell or it wouldn't have a signal.

And good god I hope not my phone isn't currently on my lap.