NEurope
Retro_Link

Metroid: Other M

Probably not much help

As far as I'm aware, you cannot beat the thing, you just have to survive it - now the question is whether you have to do X amount of damage first or just reach a time limit and that I'm not too sure off.

So I would just focus on trying to avoid it whilst getting your shots in. I wouldn't bother with missiles personally as you'll just leave yourself too open to being hit.

Eventually the lift reaches the other end and but the door doesn't open until the thing goes away but at least you have more space to fight in. And if you get it down one end, you can run to the other and use concentration if things are getting tight.

I thought that was the way it worked. The lift goes on forever while you take out the Space Pirates (That's what they are, you're not fooling anyone) then the big boy appears.

It does seem to be a damage thing. Not time. If you can get a missile in as it's going red then run for the lethal strike you save yourself some time.

Edits with sorteds.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

You have to shoot it a lot. When it does the read charge beam, use your missiles. Eventually it'll collapse and you'll need to run at it while charging/

Help possible glitch - sector 1

I have just defeated the purple creature after the exam centre. Kyke has died and the others are standing around him. I suspect I need to scan lyle but it just won't allow me to at all.

I got caught with that too and was thinking the same, was getting really pissed off with the game too. Even after I found out what I was meant to be looking for.

But a bit after that the game started to feel more like a Metroid game to me. Especially after you get to use the speed boaster. Also, I can understand a bit why Samus would wait for the order to use some weapons.... but why with things like the Varia Suit? And why the frak does Adam wait so bloody long with it?

A few things I loved

I bloody loved it when Ridley appeared. I never occoured to me to that the things from the Exam centre could be Ridley, haha, how coul I not have seen it. Though I also didn't cop that the little white thing was the monster from the exam centre. Even though I saw the empty shell and figured "Shit he must have turned into something bigger", yet still didn't consider it was the thing I just fought

And also loved...

NIGHTMARE, haha, I copped that one right away alright, that was one nice touch to put him in there.

Though I think it would have been better had you gained the Gravity Suit from beating him. Which is what I was expecting after getting the Seeker Missles from that other boss thing. And if Samus had teh ability all the time WHY DIDN'T SHE USE IT? She was turning stuff on without waiting for Adam, but when walking round in a gavity increased room she does nothing :heh:

And yeah I went all the way to the end of the game... shorter than I expected, somethings in the story I'm still unsure of also. I was enjoying it, once you got up to stuff like the Wave Beam and the Gapple Beam you could go backtracking to find stuff. But the game path itself was too short I thought. YOu might have thought Fusion was linear but that had a fair bit more exploring and a bigger map.

But then I waited till after the credits and...

Ok firstly I didn't see any mention of my completion rate during the credits? Did I miss it or is it cause the game continues after them and when I get to the end of this part is that the actual endgame?

And now with Samus back on the ship and Power Bombs active and I can collect items I missed. I decided to just rush through the rooms though to get to the control room and see what was there (saved once only before you need the 1st power bomb), but I got totally STUCK?

After the power bomb bit went through the residetial area and ended up in sector 2 near the lift to sector zero. SO I backtracked towards the main lift so I could get back to the Main Sector and get to the control room. Went up the main lift then through a few corridors in a room with a lift and poison puffer things. But the door to the lift wont open, I tried climbing up the platforms around it but they only seem to go so far and not all the way.

Am I missing something? Where do I go/ What do I do?

And yeah I went all the way to the end of the game... shorter than I expected, somethings in the story I'm still unsure of also. I was enjoying it, once you got up to stuff like the Wave Beam and the Gapple Beam you could go backtracking to find stuff. But the game path itself was too short I thought. YOu might have thought Fusion was linear but that had a fair bit more exploring and a bigger map.

Ok firstly I didn't see any mention of my completion rate during the credits? Did I miss it or is it cause the game continues after them and when I get to the end of this part is that the actual endgame?

And now with Samus back on the ship and Power Bombs active and I can collect items I missed. I decided to just rush through the rooms though to get to the control room and see what was there (saved once only before you need the 1st power bomb), but I got totally STUCK?

After the power bomb bit went through the residetial area and ended up in sector 2 near the lift to sector zero. SO I backtracked towards the main lift so I could get back to the Main Sector and get to the control room. Went up the main lift then through a few corridors in a room with a lift and poison puffer things. But the door to the lift wont open, I tried climbing up the platforms around it but they only seem to go so far and not all the way.

You're completion rating will flash up once you get to the real ending. At the stage you are at now, you can see what your completion rating is on the pause menu - at the credits, my item collection was 59%

In that room with the puffers and the lift that won't work, there is a power bomb hatch in the room right next to it that you just came through.

Thanks for using the spoiler tags so far, guys. It really helps people like me who suffer from being both slow and Australian, who haven't played the game and don't want it spoiled.

A few things I loved

I bloody loved it when Ridley appeared. I never occoured to me to that the things from the Exam centre could be Ridley, haha, how coul I not have seen it. Though I also didn't cop that the little white thing was the monster from the exam centre. Even though I saw the empty shell and figured "Shit he must have turned into something bigger", yet still didn't consider it was the thing I just fought

It's quite funny that people were saying it was a young Ridley from the trailer, then in the game I assume most of us dismissed that theory. I quite like how his body is in a similar pose to the frozen body in Metroid Fusion, and that it has vanished after the credits. All the cut-scened from the point you enter that room to the end of the game are amazing.

And also loved...

I screamed with joy when I saw him - he was awesome in Fusion. He seemed a bit easy to defeat, though.

From the main lifts, go down one room. There's a power bomb door to the right.

NIGHTMARE, haha, I copped that one right away alright, that was one nice touch to put him in there.

Anyone's thumb gone a bit red?

While I quite like the switch from third to first person, I'd have much rather seen Classic/nunchuck support too - D-pad control is really quite uncomfortable in 3D - jumping in 3D space is near impossible (its luck more than judgement if you actually manage to hop on an ememies back).

I am loving the set peices in the game; the RTE are nice, not over the top with excess button combos. Really cinematic. I feel, so far, they've found a nice way to expand the franchise; back in third person.

I'm happy with the voice over, and dialogue isn't as bad as some reviews are making out. But there are some glaringly bizarre occurances in there.

I think however, they are desperately wrong with their comments on opening this franchise out to casual players with single remote controls - this is simply not a franchise the casual market will play. Some of the early bosses I have seen are incredibly hard - a major deterent to casual players, regardless of control options - its too hard for them. There is nothing wrong with bridge titles, but Nintendo really need to stop with this whole dumbing down of key franchises; these are the franchises Nintendo will need to fall back on if Apple succeed in the casual games market.

It's quite funny that people were saying it was a young Ridley from the trailer, then in the game I assume most of us dismissed that theory. I quite like how his body is in a similar pose to the frozen body in Metroid Fusion, and that it has vanished after the credits. All the cut-scened from the point you enter that room to the end of the game are amazing.

I thought that was the intention with the pose he was left in, tie the events in with Fusion. When I saw him I instant thought, "so that's where his remains in Fusion came from". Was a little disappointed didn't get to fight him again though... but that cut scene when you see something attack him I was like "crap what else is there that could be bigger than Ridley?"

Also I was wondering with the fight in the exam centre why the thing tried to climb up to Samus, guess it makes sense now knowing it was Ridley.

One thing I didn't understand though was Samus reaction to seeing him again and apparently being afraid of him. Why? She fought him numerous times in the before that and never batted an eyelid...

I thought that was the intention with the pose he was left in, tie the events in with Fusion. When I saw him I instant thought, "so that's where his remains in Fusion came from". Was a little disappointed didn't get to fight him again though... but that cut scene when you see something attack him I was like "crap what else is there that could be bigger than Ridley?"

Also I was wondering with the fight in the exam centre why the thing tried to climb up to Samus, guess it makes sense now knowing it was Ridley.

One thing I didn't understand though was Samus reaction to seeing him again and apparently being afraid of him. Why? She fought him numerous times in the before that and never batted an eyelid...

The reaction didn't tie in very well, but I thought it was great to see Samus vulnerable. At the start they did distance it from the other games (in terms of how much time has passed), so I suppose as the Space Pirates and Ridley were a distant memory, and that he's suddenly here on a Galactic Federation ship would be a bit of a shocker.

One random thing I found odd is the way Samus tried to calm people down by saying "Don't worry. I'm a bounty hunter.

Having to use 'concentration' is the worst ever gameplay 'addition' to the Metroid universe... :nono:

Ok fine... it works for missiles but having to stand still in the middle of a fight and wait for one single energy tank to be replenished, more often than not getting yourself killed in the process is completely fucking useless! :shakehead

How this idea ever got the green light I will never know, I mean they did playtest this so how could anyone actually go along with this? Wouldn't it have been better to have just had enemies drop health like in every single Metroid game before this? :hmm:

You could argue that it encourages you to become more proficient at dodging/fighting but in reality it just makes certain sections of the game sooo frustrating that it starts to detract from the quality of the game. :(

I understand the need for change but some things should have been left alone and this was definitely one of them! :mad:

[/rant]

While I quite like the switch from third to first person, I'd have much rather seen Classic/nunchuck support too - D-pad control is really quite uncomfortable in 3D - jumping in 3D space is near impossible (its luck more than judgement if you actually manage to hop on an ememies back).

I am loving the set peices in the game; the RTE are nice, not over the top with excess button combos. Really cinematic. I feel, so far, they've found a nice way to expand the franchise; back in third person.

I'm happy with the voice over, and dialogue isn't as bad as some reviews are making out. But there are some glaringly bizarre occurances in there.

I think however, they are desperately wrong with their comments on opening this franchise out to casual players with single remote controls - this is simply not a franchise the casual market will play. Some of the early bosses I have seen are incredibly hard - a major deterent to casual players, regardless of control options - its too hard for them. There is nothing wrong with bridge titles, but Nintendo really need to stop with this whole dumbing down of key franchises; these are the franchises Nintendo will need to fall back on if Apple succeed in the casual games market.

You've actually said it brilliantly.

Echoes flopped hard, Corruption sold so-so. I guess they just wanted to open out the target audience because of that and the fact that they know a lot of the core gamers that were interested in the prime games in the past will also own another console and may not pick this up.

I still like this game, it's just not the quality i expect from a Metroid title. Give me nunchuck support and get rid of those bloody over the shoulder sections and I'd be happier. Some of the textures are also awful, just awful. I just entered the fire area and the lava looks insanely bad. I played RE4 and Twilight Princess on the Wii earlier this month and the fire/lava in that game looks 100x better.

If they wanted to make a bridge title out of a Metroid, wouldn't it have been better to make a game that has purely 2D gameplay, like New Super Mario Bros? Even that would have been hard without shoulder buttons on the controller (L is needed for diagonals, R is for missiles), but it might have been better-received than a 2D/3D amalgamation. I bet it would have got 10/10s.

I'm liking the storyline, with all the twists and shit. One thing I'm not feeling is the referrence to stuff you know is bullshit:

"All the Metroids and Space Pirates have gone"

WRONG! You're going to see them in Prime, so shaddup. :blank:

I'm liking the storyline, with all the twists and shit. One thing I'm not feeling is the referrence to stuff you know is bullshit:

Doesn't this take place after Prime though? Although I'm pretty new to this whole Metroid thing so maybe not...

Prime takes place before Super Metroid and this, if I remember correctly (think it is set in between the first Metroid and Metroid 2 on the Gameboy). Technically, Metroid Fusion is the last canon entry in the series' storyline.

-------------------------------

Anyway, put about 8 hours into it now. Seems to be gathering pace towards an ending by the looks of it.

Just gone down into Sector Zero. Pretty stupid of Samus to leave Madeline in that room and go off because she must have know someone else was in there. She followed the guy down into that room for christ's sake.

Will say though, oh snap! The gravity changing boss is the exact same one from Fusion :bouncy:. Hopefully someone else noticed that. Clearly didn't look dead either so that might explain why it resurfaces in Fusion.

Is it currently better than any of the Prime games? No, but it's still a very enjoyable game. Just not quite as engrossing as the atmosphere of the Prime games.

Doesn't this take place after Prime though? Although I'm pretty new to this whole Metroid thing so maybe not...

So it seems, change Prime to Fusion and the point stands!

I would like to see them make a game set after Fusion. See how people cope with Samus' new "permanent" look. No doubt they'll find a way to remove it.

Actually, the Space Pirates haven't been seen since Super Metroid. For a sequel to Fusion Nintendo will need to come up with a new enemy force so they don't to the

Federation cloning for bioweapons

plot for a third time.

And I accidentally discovered something after completing the game:

You can dodge while in first person. You need to shake the remote when the enemy is about to hit you. Would have been handy to know that early on.

And I accidentally discovered something after completing the game:

You can dodge while in first person. You need to shake the remote when the enemy is about to hit you. Would have been handy to know that early on.

You don't shake it so much as just move the cursor off screen - time also slows down to make it easier to dodge that way too. I'm sure it is explained in game and in the manual.

And as for Metroid Prime, well this game seems to drop any references to the events of the Prime series all together - apparently this is Samus' first time working with the GF since she left to become a Bounty Hunter which completely contradicts Corruption. But yes, they do take place between the original/Zero Mission and Return of Samus.

Edited by Captain Falcon

It's her first time as part of a unit. Metroid, Metroid 2 and Super Metroid were all GF missions.

Actually, the Space Pirates haven't been seen since Super Metroid.

Fine fine fine, take out Space Pirates, and the point still stands! :grin:

Queen Metroid. Massive bitch. Is the only way to kill Metroids is to still ice their ass and missile penetration afters? [despite them saying they couldn't be killed using cold the method is still the same as Prime?] It looked like I was having mounds of progress with the Spin Jump.

Fine fine fine, take out Space Pirates, and the point still stands! :grin:

Queen Metroid. Massive bitch. Is the only way to kill Metroids is to still ice their ass and missile penetration afters? [despite them saying they couldn't be killed using cold the method is still the same as Prime?] It looked like I was having mounds of progress with the Spin Jump.

Ice then missiles, yes. Try and freeze as many in one blast as possible.

Metroid/Zero Mission... Metroid Prime... Metroid Prime Hunters... Metroid Prime 2.... Metroid Prime 3... Metroid II Return of Samus... Super Metroid Metroid III... Metroid Other M... Metroid Fusion.

Less confusing than the Zelda timeline.

get rid of those bloody over the shoulder sections and I'd be happier.

They're uncontrollable with a D-Pad, and far too slow. Considering the speed Samus flies around the screen most of the time, she doesn't half dawdle these sections. Its so cumbersome, anaolgue control wouldve sorted that.

Edited by david.dakota
Automerged Doublepost

Ice then missiles, yes. Try and freeze as many in one blast as possible.

One thing I don't understand...

I don't recall I was never given "authorisation" to use Power Bombs, yet they expected me to use them in the Queens' stomach.