N-Europe

The Grinder

Dante

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the deal with me

The Conduit 2 has been revealed, and for me, The Conduit always seemed so much more interesting than The Grinder. Personally, I'd like to see The Conduit 2 be a Wii exclusive, first person shooter, whilst the Grinder stay on the 360/PS3/PC. Honestly, if I had to choose between The Conduit 2 and a FPS version of The Grinder, I'd take The Conduit 2 any day.

I just don't get what they were thinking!!...

New Developer Diary:

I just can't see 360/PS3 owners buying this! They have so much better stuff in comparison, at least Wii owners have a lack of this type of stuff, so surely Wii should be their primary audience?!

They constantly hark on about wanting to work with and get feedback from fans and the media, well surely everyones reaction to this change is... UMM NO THANKS!... so surely they should scrap it.

For a small developer, surely they wasted a lot of time and money on the original version to just forget about it, it looked to be at a good stage! All seems a bit of crazy.

Edited by Retro_Link

I just don't get what they were thinking!!...

I just can't see 360/PS3 owners buying this! They have so much better stuff in comparison, at least Wii owners have a lack of this type of stuff, so surely Wii should be their primary audience?!

They constantly hark on about wanting to work with and get feedback from fans and the media, well surely everyones reaction to this change is... UMM NO THANKS!... so surely they should scrap it.

For a small developer, surely they wasted a lot of time and money on the original version to just forget about it, it looked to be at a good stage! All seems a bit of crazy.

Totally, I can't imagine that after the first showing sof the Grinder their mail boxes were overflowing with pleas to turn it into a top down Smash TV clone. I've never heard as much shite come from a developer as I have HVS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2LDJWTuA6k

Just look how good this looked as well. It seemed like it was at a pretty advanced level of development. What's more the environments and the weapons looked a lot better than those in the Conduit.

NWR Interview

Can somebody help me with this?

NWR: So officially, what is the status of The Grinder on Wii?

JO: We're planned for it, then we switched to Infernal Engine; the focus has been on PS3 and 360. We're very interested in pursuing Wii titles. We think there are great opportunities out there on the Wii. We're kind of still defining--the engine does work on the Wii--we're defining what the Wii SKU will be.

What does that even mean?!

I reckon it'll still come to the Wii, but it just sounds like they're making a mountain out of a molehill here.

The original video of the game was shown. It was stated the game was for the Wii. I think the reactions were quite positive. So, why change the focus? Why worry about what game to give the Wii Owners? At no point did anyone complain about it being an FPS, and declaring that they wanted a top-down shooter. At no point!

My advice to them: Give us the game you showed in the first place.

I think they may have lost the plot!

They seem to be desperate to get something on the 360/PS3 after what was probably slightly dissapointing sales of The Conduit.

However, I predict this new version of The Grinder is going to absolutely bomb on the HD consoles, they have absolutely no reason to buy it, it doesn't even look good (even by many Wii games standards) and seems to have completely lost its style. HD console owners have there Bayonetta's and God of War to play.

The previous version of The Grinder is bound to have outsold on Wii alone, what this new version will sell on 360/PS3 (and possibly Wii) combined.

The original video of the game was shown. It was stated the game was for the Wii. I think the reactions were quite positive. So, why change the focus? Why worry about what game to give the Wii Owners? At no point did anyone complain about it being an FPS, and declaring that they wanted a top-down shooter. At no point!

Sales? No good business is driven by anything but sales. Unfortunate but true.

The Grinder stays FPS on Wii

You might be current on High Voltage Software's The Grinder, but just in case, here's a quick primer. The title was announced as a Wii-exclusive online-cooperative first-person shooter similar to Left 4 Dead. Then the studio went quiet for a year. When Grinder resurfaced, it was for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 -- as a top-down action title inspired by the developer's Hunter: The Reckoning series.

Some fans suspected that the Wii version got the axe in the interim, but that's not at all the case. In fact, High Voltage wants to ship Grinder for Nintendo's console as a first-person shooter.

"The expansion of Grinder to 360 and PS3 and its subsequent change in gameplay and perspective has been somewhat misinterpreted as a universal change across all platforms," High Voltage's chief creative officer, Eric Nofsinger, explained to IGN. "We still genuinely love the Wii and would ideally like to see a publishing partner pick up both a FPS Wii version and a third-person action version specific to the 360 and PS3."

Nofsinger added that the developer has not stopped work on the Wii iteration.

How would you prefer The Grinder?

"We have invested more than year into the Wii; the game is extremely fun, and frankly, we wouldn't want to see that work 'thrown away,'" said Nofsinger. "But when we decided to add the 360 and PS3 platforms it didn't seem to make much sense to jump on the rainbow chasing treadmill of trying to do the same game for such dissimilar consoles and end up short changing one or the other."

We'll keep you posted as more develops on the title. In the meanwhile, we've posted a new video of the top-down 360/PS3 versions of Grinder on our respective sister-sites.

ugh these developers are weird.

Why didn't they just say it wasn't changed, why did they wait 2 weeks to tell us that its the same?

Oh well it's a good thing anyway I suppose.... but do they really expect the 360/ps3 game to sell?

It's actually easy to see. The Grinder thread has been dead for months, and now it's lit up like a christmas tree! People whom liked the concept have been reminded and probably reacted quite strongly about an inferior version potentially replacing the game they were looking forward to.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!