Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Phantom Page Issue

Ashley

It started with the upgrade right? My point was, perhaps the upgrade changed the way banned members' posts are shown by default. Perhaps it hides them for regular users but keeps them shown for admins, which'd explain why you guys have reported not seeing them. It hasn't happened in new threads and only seems to happen in the large, old threads that have been around for a while and probably had banned members post in them.

Just throwing it out there as a theory.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem with that theory Dyson is that the amount of Phantom pages you see in a thread varies. I've seen it with 4 in the 360 thread, but I've also seen it with 1.

The amount of phantom pages doesn't vary for me. For example, the User Image Thread always has two phantom pages, while the Funny Videos one always has one.

Like mentioned, it is only when pressing the "go to last post" button that the phantom pages appear. When going into a thread normally, the page count matches.

Scratch that, it happens either way.

The amount of phantom pages doesn't vary for me. For example, the User Image Thread always has two phantom pages, while the Funny Videos one always has one.

Like mentioned, it is only when pressing the "go to last post" button that the phantom pages appear. When going into a thread normally, the page count matches.

Scratch that, it happens either way.

Same here. Although I think it's more like a certain number of posts more rather than pages. Because it does change by one. For example when there is only one post on the last page of the funnies it says there are no extra pages. And I've seen it happen with others.

Although strangely there are no extra pages on HWYD. Which is the biggest thread and will most likely have the most posts from banned members.

Same here. Although I think it's more like a certain number of posts more rather than pages. Because it does change by one. For example when there is only one post on the last page of the funnies it says there are no extra pages. And I've seen it happen with others.

Although strangely there are no extra pages on HWYD. Which is the biggest thread and will most likely have the most posts from banned members.

Well, that's that theory out the window. But yeah, I also had figured it was phatom posts more than phantom pages for the same reason.

I noticed on the piercings thread - There was a half a page or so's worth of posts that were lost (system down time) and then a ghost page appeared right after that.

I'm thinkin potentially its posts that have been lost, but not cleaned off the database properly...?

Only a guess tbh.

Is it possible that the amount of deleted posts in certain threads add up to entire pages? Admins and mods can still see them, thus they still exist, though they aren't visible to regular members. Maybe by locating and removing them, we can remove the phantom page issue.

Firstly, killing Jack Bauer doesn't make him dead. Just angry.

Secondly, I can't view deleted posts personally, but Ashley can. And I believe it's just to make sure no hidden rule breaking is being inflicted on the forums.

Is it possible that the amount of deleted posts in certain threads add up to entire pages? Admins and mods can still see them, thus they still exist, though they aren't visible to regular members. Maybe by locating and removing them, we can remove the phantom page issue.

Same logic applies.

So if I posted something about planning to kill Jack Bauer, and then deleted it, you would still see it?

What purpose does this have just out of pure curiosity?

In regards to the purpose...archival. Everyone loves an archive.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!