Windows 7

fex

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I'm not sure about that.

Why are you removing your old HDD?

The way I did it was to have two HDD connected, move all the stuff I want to keep onto my non-OS HDD and then install a clean copy of 7 onto the OS-HDD.

Once it's completed you can just move stuff from your non-OS HDD to your other one.

Windows 7 will leave it nicely alone, and also put all your old files into a old.Windows file on the HDD you're installing to.

Oh, I'm not sure about that.

Why are you removing your old HDD?

The way I did it was to have two HDD connected, move all the stuff I want to keep onto my non-OS HDD and then install a clean copy of 7 onto the OS-HDD.

Once it's completed you can just move stuff from your non-OS HDD to your other one.

Windows 7 will leave it nicely alone, and also put all your old files into a old.Windows file on the HDD you're installing to.

I only have room or one HDD.

Ah... I'm not too sure then.

Just... try?

Or wait for someone smarter than me.

Also, in Windows 7 is there still no way to make it so my wirelessly automatically doesn't show me up on the network as discoverable.

I keep having to go into Advanced Sharing Settings and turning off network discovery.

I don't understand it, I have the network profile as public and everything.

Agh, so annoying.

Ah... I'm not too sure then.

Just... try?

Or wait for someone smarter than me.

Also, in Windows 7 is there still no way to make it so my wirelessly automatically doesn't show me up on the network as discoverable.

I keep having to go into Advanced Sharing Settings and turning off network discovery.

I don't understand it, I have the network profile as public and everything.

Agh, so annoying.

You have to go into your Router's Wireless settings and disable discovery in there. Make sure you have the Router password and username handy.

I know this is a long shot, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I was thinking of possibly upgrading until I was told at uni that windows 7 doesn't support 3ds max, anybody have any information on this? I use max ALOT so if I end up buying windows 7 and it didn't work I'd be pretty stuck.

Guest Stefkov

Just sat here and watch Windows 7 download for 13 hours. After all of it I run it and it tells me it can't open some files; please check that the folder it's put in is accessible and not read only...

Was there a reason they couldn't have just given us an ISO file?

I was thinking of possibly upgrading until I was told at uni that windows 7 doesn't support 3ds max, anybody have any information on this? I use max ALOT so if I end up buying windows 7 and it didn't work I'd be pretty stuck.

Bull!

They're lying to you.

They want you to fail!

Kiiiill them!

I'm using Max 9 32-bit edition and Max 2010 64-bit edition on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

And Stef...

Er...

I think your 13 hour download is corrupt.

The reason why they didn't give us an ISO is because we'd have to burn it?

Edited by Wesley

Just sat here and watch Windows 7 download for 13 hours. After all of it I run it and it tells me it can't open some files; please check that the folder it's put in is accessible and not read only...

Was there a reason they couldn't have just given us an ISO file?

Because digital river are retarded. I posted some links on the previous page on how to create an ISO from the downloaded files.

I'm not sure about 3ds max, but if you want to try and run any games, good luck, none of my games are working. My opnion on Windows 7, avoid.

I'm not sure about 3ds max, but if you want to try and run any games, good luck, none of my games are working. My opnion on Windows 7, avoid.

Ouch, if I couldn't play games I'd be pretty damn bored. Its good to know people have max working on it though, but I talked to the guy who mentioned it, he download max off the website (6 months student trail thing) and it definately doesn't work for him on windows 7 - hmm. :sad:

Okay, ignore my posts about Windows 7 and games not working, I got them working now! Here's some advice for peeps that have the same issue; check your nvidia control panel! For some stupid reason it had the multi display and phsyX options enabled, when I'm only on one GPU that doesn't support PhysX.

All's well now anyway, thanks to anyone that helped. ^^

That's a bit overpriced for 160GB. Here's a 500GB for the same price and Here's a 1TB drive for £20 more...

[edit: a bit redundant though, didn't realise how old that post was :heh:]

Well I looked on Ebuyer and it was more expensive.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149430

Edit: I know why. The HDD' you showed me are 3.5", I need 2.5 (for my laptop).

Edited by The Lillster

Ouch, if I couldn't play games I'd be pretty damn bored. Its good to know people have max working on it though, but I talked to the guy who mentioned it, he download max off the website (6 months student trail thing) and it definately doesn't work for him on windows 7 - hmm. :sad:

Hum...

Well, I mean...

Hum...

I think still think your friend has a secret plan to kill you.

Autodesk has cleared Max to work in Windows 7.

Plus there is compatibility mode.

Plus if you buy pro (which costs the same as home on the student thing) you can run XP in virtual PC.

Hum...

Well, I mean...

Hum...

I think still think your friend has a secret plan to kill you.

Autodesk has cleared Max to work in Windows 7.

Plus there is compatibility mode.

Plus if you buy pro (which costs the same as home on the student thing) you can run XP in virtual PC.

Haha maybe its just him then?

I'll see about getting it eventually I'm sure, it just looks better than vista. If I were really going for it I'd jump ship and get a mac, but thats not the issue here really!

You're an exception by the looks of it, everyone else seems to be fine. It's very odd, but it points to a driver or hardware problem specific to your machine rather than a problem with Windows 7 itself. The easiest way to find out which would be just to reinstall W7. If it works after that then it was driver related, if it's still not working then it's probably hardware related.

Alternatively pop over to http://forums.nvidia.com/ and see if anyone can help you there.