NEurope
chairdriver

A New 'God' Thread About Stuff

Because the universe is me.

Like I said, if I could watch the universe go on without me once I died, like a film, I'd deal with death. But I can't and that feels like wrists straining against leather straps on a gurney or something. Unbearably painful.

I assume it'll have some psychiatric diagnosis/name.

I think you and me share the very same feeling...I sometimes have panic attacks stressing about it wierd or what...just wishing there was some way of ducking death and just transcending off and watching the world go by without me...

Because the universe is me.

Like I said, if I could watch the universe go on without me once I died, like a film, I'd deal with death. But I can't and that feels like wrists straining against leather straps on a gurney or something. Unbearably painful.

I assume it'll have some psychiatric diagnosis/name.

I think it's pretty normal tbh. It just doesn't make sense to me. Then again, I don't make sense to a lot of people soooooo...who knows. :heh:

Actually adding to what I've just posted I think this lyric nicely sums it up; "the thought of death scares me to death"

My feelings are basically represented by the second half of Hounds Of Love by Kate Bush, also known as The Ninth Wave. It's a suite dealing with struggling to stay alive/death etc.

But when you're dead, you feel nothing, so you won't know you are dead.

Being paralysed would be much worse. Because you'd know you're alive, but might as well be dead.

And yeah it's how you look at it; you can spend your life worrying about death or you can live it / you can enjoy what you do rather than what you don't. But hmm, as easy as it is to see the logical its not always as easy to follow it.

It's not really just that though. The idea that in the grand scheme of things we are nothing and everything at once. Like Paj said, the universe is 'me' but it isn't just that. It's hard to explain (especially since I'm lacking sleep atm).

I guess you could call it a feeling. Some people might call it God.

It's not really just that though. The idea that in the grand scheme of things we are nothing and everything at once. Like Paj said, the universe is 'me' but it isn't just that. It's hard to explain (especially since I'm lacking sleep atm).

I guess you could call it a feeling. Some people might call it God.

Knowing your existence means everything to you but nothing in the grand scheme of things (which is what I presume you were getting at but likewise I am lacking sleep) can be quite overwhelming...which might be the/your idea.

But yes. Sleep...

But when you're dead, you feel nothing, so you won't know you are dead.

Being paralysed would be much worse. Because you'd know you're alive, but might as well be dead.

Yeah but not everybody feels that way (though from you perspective I can see that it makes perfect sense).

I obviously have a fear of "the end", like people have a fear of small spaces or heights.

I think i suffer from delusions of grandeur, as i'm certain i'm a big part of the grand scheme of things.

But i doubt i have it since i can recognise it, detachement of some kind

Well, Dom, that's kinda what I mean by the universe being me. (and to you, being you and so on)

Obviously there are people that need and feel within my universe, but ultimately it's in my head. (your head and so on)

Well, Dom, that's kinda what I mean by the universe being me. (and to you, being you and so on)

Obviously there are people that need and feel within my universe, but ultimately it's in my head. (your head and so on)

Well yeh, but still, its more, the stuff i do/will do shall affect stuff for years to come sort of thing. Maybe its the same

goes off to study philosophy again

I dunno. I'm obsessed with life. Virginia Woolf's writing, David Lynch, the psyche, trying to understand/analyse our everyday lives.

But in the end, does it mean anything? I mean, we can mostly agree that a bearded old man isn't going to pick me up to let me bounce around cloud palaces and visit my family in spirit form when I die. The thought of the lack of my own mind in the universe (that really only exists in my mind) is so terrifying my blood goes a little bit cold if I go on about/think about it too much.

Some people are obviously very matter of fact about it. That's great. I just don't/can't feel that way.

I'm scared that if I reach old age (I have a feeling that I won't...I can't visualise myself as an adult) these feelings won't have gone, and I'll still be as torn up as I am now. What do I do? Pretend to be religious? Make myself believe it, hoping my senile brain will forget my fears. Agh. I just anticipate myself rolling around on the floor crying when I know I'm going to die (if I got a disease or whatever).

Worst thing of all...what can I do with my life? I have no talent like singing or acting (really) to do something like that, which what I really love. I'd love ot be able to make music or movies, but atm I don't know anything about either/ can't, and as an artist, I'm pretty shit compared to others I'm competing against for a place at art college and then jobs after. Not to mention a supreme lack of confidence in my own abilities.

I want a purpose in life. But I think I'll just drift along, until I die, however impossible it is to me.

[/outpour]

I used to worry about death alot then it just kind of stopped. I could elaborate further but it wont help you its just something you have to realise yourself. In fact if I was told I would die soon I would find it quite liberating in a strange way because I know I would focus 100% on what I wanted to do rather get caught up in everyone elses world. I would rather know then suddenly die that would suck more I think.

Being 'shit' at something is fun learning curve (though it can seem impossibly steep at times) if you want to artistic in someway. Just bear in that even David Lynch would have made something he thought sucked at some point in his life. After all he was going to be painter and ended being most famous for being a filmmaker.

Ironically your 'rant' is the kind of thing that could be core to what you want to achieve. You could turn your ideas and questions here into say an idea for a film etc. Do it and ignore everyones judgmental opinions.

(I use the word theory as they are mainly theories, but none are really more supported than the others).

Prove to me that none are really more supported than others, because this is a lie.

I believe time is like space: infinite. And therefore, there was no "beginning", time, along with space, has always existed infinitelly.

But aren't we getting off topic here?

It has 'always existed' in this particular sense of existence (hello again, Estragon), but who are you to say that this big bang theory doesn't explain the creation of time itself? Both the seconds and the metres are merely forms of measurement, so maybe your cave's shadows are just more realistic than mine?

My feelings are basically represented by the second half of Hounds Of Love by Kate Bush, also known as The Ninth Wave. It's a suite dealing with struggling to stay alive/death etc.

Your 'outporing' was interesting. Sure, I felt a similar, rare, thought from time to time, but it does change. You feel silly for ever having even thought that way when you don't think it at all, which is hard to remember when you do feel that way.

But just remember that it's two extremes that you are battling with; The universe and your death. To you, both are just as monumental. Just remember that these aren't teh same side of the coin -- hell, they're not even part of the same coin. They're different currency.

And don't ever equate your entire life/mind/soul/love/feeling/thought to a song. It cheapens the life/mind/soul/love/feeling/thought that you insure so much.

J7 you are doing the job I should be doing! Then again I am to tired for multiple paged discussions.

It has 'always existed' in this particular sense of existence (hello again, Estragon), but who are you to say that this big bang theory doesn't explain the creation of time itself? Both the seconds and the metres are merely forms of measurement, so maybe your cave's shadows are just more realistic than mine?

Yeah, I've always said that time is just a measurement we concocted to help us understand things. That's why when people propose the possibility of time travel it always seems ridiculous; you would have to physically restore everything to the confirmation it was at a given moment.

Regarding religion...as long as people aren't harming or negatively affecting a person's life I don't have much problem with it. While most evidence would suggest that there is indeed no God behind most of life's occurrences, some people choose to believe in religion as a means to get through their life, day by day. The one thing that really annoys me, however, is when young people are brainwashed into following a particular lifestyle (Debra 13 documentary was a good example). Children should be educated about different beliefs and allowed to make their own mind up.

Yeah, I've always said that time is just a measurement we concocted to help us understand things. That's why when people propose the possibility of time travel it always seems ridiculous; you would have to physically restore everything to the confirmation it was at a given moment.

Yes, but Einstein proved that "time" isn't simply "time", it's relative. I've seen a documentary about time travelling backwards in time being possible if you used a strong gravitational pull (which is actually a "bend" in spacetime because of a large mass), for instance that of a black hole, to accelerate past the speed of light. Experiments are being conducted using laser beams positioned in a spiral tube shape supposed to be able to bend spacetime.

Yes, but Einstein proved that "time" isn't simply "time", it's relative. I've seen a documentary about time travelling backwards in time being possible if you used a strong gravitational pull (which is actually a "bend" in spacetime because of a large mass), for instance that of a black hole, to accelerate past the speed of light. Experiments are being conducted using laser beams positioned in a spiral tube shape supposed to be able to bend spacetime.

When they actually cause something to travel backwards through time, I will concede that you have a point. ;)

And don't ever equate your entire life/mind/soul/love/feeling/thought to a song. It cheapens the life/mind/soul/love/feeling/thought that you insure so much.

But bear in mind we're talking about The Ninth Wave by Kate Bush - what makes Hounds Of Love one of the greatest albums ever.

So you're trying to say your existence had already been defined several years before your birth and thus nullifies your own purpose?

I'm all for saying songs reflect your exist, but define?

Would be interesting if the song did tie into his fate, if all records of the song were to disappear would his life lose or gain meaning?

Regarding religion...as long as people aren't harming or negatively affecting a person's life I don't have much problem with it. While most evidence would suggest that there is indeed no God behind most of life's occurrences, some people choose to believe in religion as a means to get through their life, day by day. The one thing that really annoys me, however, is when young people are brainwashed into following a particular lifestyle (Debra 13 documentary was a good example). Children should be educated about different beliefs and allowed to make their own mind up.

I quite like the "4D" definition of time. Yes, the "second" is a unit of measurement, in the same way that a "metre" is. But that distance still exists; we just use this standardised unit to compare two different distances. This applies in the same way to time. So if you think about a 2D graph and the idea of co-ordinates on this graph. Go along one box to the right, along one upwards, and you have the co-ordinate (1,1) based on the standardisation of the amount of distance you've travelled along from the point we're calling the origin. So then expand this to a position in a 3D space, let's say a room. The corner of this room is the origin. There could be a ball in this room 3 units along the x axis, 4 along the y and 5 along the z. Then think about when this ball is at that position - in our society we would call it April, 2009, Tuesday, whatever. (for purposes of explaining, let's call the year 0 AD the origin of this axis). So the ball is 5 metres away from the corner of the room upwards, 4 metres away forwards, 3 metres away right - and 2009 years away from the origin in terms of time. That is it's position in the universe (in our terms). So the thing to wonder is - if we can move freely between the 3 axes that we know of as humans, is it possible through technology to move freely along this 4th axis? Using Einsteins theory that it is possible would support this theory: the fact that we are unable to travel forwards would support the idea that the universe is always expanding. Our consciousness of the "passage of time" is simply this 4th axis expanding. People often wonder "if the universe is expanding, what is it expanding into?" in terms of the three "normal" axes, but it's the same principle as time, which we do not question. It's simply a universal law. Timetravel would simply be us moving along this axis in the same way we do all the others. It is linear - it's a straight axis - but it's relative to the other axes, which keep it without paradox.

These ideas are simply my interpretations of the bits and bobs of physics I know of - time linearity and so on - which I don't know the ins and outs of yet. Therefore it's possible my understanding of the linearity theory, 4D theory, Einsteins theory, etc my be flawed. Hopefully within a couple of years I'll be studying Physics at University, as this sort of stuff really interests me, so I'll have a better informed idea.