N-Europe

Pill Could Erase Bad Memories

Daft

I'm wondering about the consequences of having memories erased, especially memories that have affected your personality and psychology. How will your brain react when those memories are suddenly gone? Will it change again? Or will the experiences have been so deeply rooted that you actually can't forget about them? Obviously some memories are stored way, way deeper than others, and that's exactly the type of memories that have had a deep psychological impact on a person's personality, e.g. traumas etc.

I was thinking about how they would target specific memories?

How would it be done?

As far as I can tell from the OP, it doesn't erase the memory itself, just the associated fear of the memory. You won't have patches of memory missing, you won't have to have families and friends having to lie. I think! *isn't a neuroscientistamajig*

Main thing that I see from this is that surely there's no way of pinpointing which memory to affect. Can you truly relate a few electric shocks to PTSD?

As far as I can tell from the OP, it doesn't erase the memory itself, just the associated fear of the memory. You won't have patches of memory missing, you won't have to have families and friends having to lie. I think! *isn't a neuroscientistamajig*

Main thing that I see from this is that surely there's no way of pinpointing which memory to affect. Can you truly relate a few electric shocks to PTSD?

I'm quoting this because it's exactly what I was about to post, cos everyone's talking about erasing memories whereas this thing is erasing fear memories, as in, it's erasing the fear, not the memory. It seems to be more killing an emotion, than anything else, and I have my qualms about it, but then would compare it to half the drugs that already exist in the world. Topic title is a bit misleading. Alcohol already does it, anyway(when you have enough of it and make a tit of yourself, that is).

Though on the subject of Eternal Sunshine, surely it showed that it never really works? Or that there's simply no point, as to lose a bad memory and have it again later, you just have the badness of it all over again. I disagree with anything ever erasing memories methinks, BUT! This isn't actually about that, so it's irrelevant.