NEurope
Retro_Link

Countdowns!

Two mysterious countdown pages have appeared today!

http://n-europe.com/news.php?nid=12772

News: SEGA and Marvelous Tease

Both SEGA and Marvelous launched teaser sites with countdowns. What could they be about?

Developers Marvelous have put up a site with a cryptic image and a countdown and SEGA has decided to do the same! SEGA's teaser site only manages to give out a little more info, as it says "Takao Myoshi produce" on top of the page. Takao Myoshi was involved in several big name titles like Sonic CD, Christmas NiGHTS, Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe.

Are the projects linked? Do they even have anything to do with a Nintendo console? Is the mushroom connected with Mario or is Takao Myoshi just interested in produce? What about those triangles we know so well as the Triforce? Maybe it has something to do with Harvest Moon or Rune Factory? Is the butler really the murderer? Too many questions, too little answers, so stay with us!

Sega

http://pole.sega.jp/

Marvelous

http://www.mmv.co.jp/special/game/30/

Anyone got any guesses?

I have made the Takao Miyoshi game in the other consoles board but it doesnt matter.

You missed one.

CyberConnect2, the creative minds behind the PS3 exclusive Naruto game and the .hack series, have just launched a 7 day countdown on their homepage. The countdown will most likely lead to the announcement of a new title.

Earlier, CC2 announced they were working on a game for 2009, completely original from their licensed anime games. PS3Center speculated it could be a possible PS3 exclusive, as the company has only produced games for the PlayStation consoles in the past.

Anyone got any guesses?

Mine are;

Sonic & Mario RPG

Zelda Time-traveling game for the DS. (The clock rewinds before it strikes the hour.)

The Marvelous page certainly hints at Zelda, with it's 1 piece, 2 pieces, 3 pieces of the triforce, the triangle and the golden glow!

And yeah a blue [sonic] mario style mushroom, could hint at another Mario and Sonic collaboration!

Exciting stuff!

Marvelous could be A Link To The Past? Remake for WiiWare? For DS?

Can't be arsed with another Sonic / Mario collab though, never got the appeal myself. Would rather see Square-Enix make a new Mario RPG then SEGA try combine it with Sonic, or something.

The mushroom image on the Sega site really doesn't have much to do with Sonic and it's the wrong colour for any of Mario's games. My guess is that they are doing a modern iteration of one of their older titles that they haven't touched in awhile, perhaps Alex Kidd or something.

I don't see the Marvelous one being Zelda. Ok, it has a triforce and bits of a triforce on the clock face but it's getting to be a common symbol now so I don't think it's that. I think we're all forgetting that it's not known whether this is for a nintendo platform or for elsewhere. So with so much ambiguity, it's very unlikely to be Zelda.

Maybe the clock isn't necessarily Zelda, but I'll be surprised if it isn't.

Speaking of which, I like how the Triforce gets smaller as times goes by...before the hand goes back in time, to where it was whole again.

Maybe a Majora's Mask-styled game? If it isn't Zelda, the triangles could be there just as a nod to the original mechanic.

As for the blue mushroom, I have no idea. It could be a remake of an obscure game...or maybe they'll pull a "Megaman 9"?

Sega:

It doesn't look anything like a super mushroom. It makes me think RPG.

Marvelous:

The triforce makes me think zelda, but as others have said, its a pretty common symbol nowadays. It could easily be Rune factory. The Blue on the feather makes me think Harvest Moon.

The mushroom from the SEGA countdown obviously means Shenmue III. What it means is, your gonna have to smoke a magic mushroom to believe the news = Shenmue.

The mushroom image on the Sega site really doesn't have much to do with Sonic and it's the wrong colour for any of Mario's games..

but it's Takao Myoshi .. that can only mean it's sonic or a select few other games.

and a mushroom is either mario or mushroom men.. i agree with sonic and mario collab... but If it happens i really hope nintendo makes it :( I just don't trust sega...

link to the past?.. hmm maybe majoras mask for vc if it's not on it already?

but it's Takao Myoshi .. that can only mean it's sonic or a select few other games.

and a mushroom is either mario or mushroom men.. i agree with sonic and mario collab... but If it happens i really hope nintendo makes it :( I just don't trust sega...

link to the past?.. hmm maybe majoras mask for vc if it's not on it already?

There have been a number of RPGs that have mushrooms in them though.

Edit:

I've noticed the mushroom picture is a button object (like a link in flash), and choosing play from the right click menu has been disabled. If we could download the swf file, there may be more information on other frames.

Perhaps the Sega one could also have something to do with that flash game site Sega started.

I don't think the Triforce is related to Zelda in any way. It's Marvelous after all.

But I can see the connection between Mario and Sonic in the mushroom teaser. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games has sold incredibly well, so a sequal is to be expected. And besides, how many non-Mario, 8-bit mushrooms do you know off?

I might be going to far with saying this...but perhaps a new Zelda game for the DS?

Since Eiji Aonuma and the rest of the Nintendo team are so focused on the Wii Zelda, maybe Nintendo are doing what the did with the GB series of Zelda, when they let Capcom make it.

Who knows, it's only something I would like to see (Which never happens :heh: )

The Marvelous one has got to be Zelda. The red and blue feather could be a hint towards a Mario (red), Sonic (blue) + Zelda collaboration! :heh: Or even better: it could be the Roc's Feather making a long awaited return.

Marvelous:

Assuming the countdown units are seconds (which they aren't, but they're close), then the current value of 719000 equates to just over 8 days to go.

Wanted to point out something about the "Mario" countdown:

It's got a rather high rating due to amounts of sex and violence. So probably not related to Mario and/or Sonic.

Maybe it's Mario and Sonics: Lost in Vegas!

A game of gambling, alcoholism, strip-clubs and drunkn marriages!