N-Europe

Formula 1 2009

Retro_Link

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8412828.stm

Could this be the build up to the news that i hope is coming? Hopefully we will know soon :)

Schumacher will definately be back next season, health permitted. And I for one, can't bloody wait. That said, even in a competitive car hes gonna have his work cut out with Lewis, Button, Massa, Alonso and the 2 red bulls up there.

Schumacher will definately be back next season, health permitted. And I for one, can't bloody wait. That said, even in a competitive car hes gonna have his work cut out with Lewis, Button, Massa, Alonso and the 2 red bulls up there.

Thats why im really excitd by it all. Should be a good season.

Just 2 manufacturers in the sport now. Such a shift in the balance of power.
???... Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes Benz, Renault (still keeping the name aren't they?)
Autosport have confirmed that Kobayashi has signed with Sauber for 2010 :bouncy:
Good good. If only Sato was given a go aswell.

Renault aren't exactly in charge of the team. It's pretty much in the same boat as Lotus.

Also great news n Kobayashi's drive.

I thaught Lotus had nothing to do with the car manufactrer Lotus as it was just the naming rights from the old F1 team or something.

Montezemolo: Schumacher says return with Mercedes "a very strong possibility" - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8420601.stm

Nice quote from Luca-

"A guy called Michael Schumacher told us at Monza (in September) he would renew his (Ferrari consultancy) contract," Di Montezemolo said. "And it looked like his career would finish with Ferrari.

"But then there's another one who looks like him, 40, 41 yrs old, German, same name and decided to do a new career."

Oh Bollocks...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80634

Rome targets street race in 2012

Rome is aiming to host a grand prix on the streets of the Italian capital in 2012, and the event's promoter says an agreement has already been made with F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone.

According to the autosport forums, Tilke is doing the track layout, with this the supposed final [crap] layout...

gp_roma01gg.jpg

It doesn't even feature any of Rome's historic landmarks or monuments, other than a palace!

Yeah it's getting rediculous, no doubt the calander will soon look something like this...

Bahrain

Malaysia

China

India

Spain

Monaco

Rome

Turkey

Russia

Las Vegas/New York

Valencia

Paris

Silverstone

Hungary

Begium

Italy

Singapore

South Korea

Brazil

Abu Dhabi

That would be a 20 race calender,

6 street circuits,

Monaco, Rome, Las Vegas/New York, Valencia, Paris, Singapore.

13 Tilke Tracks,

Bahrain, Malaysia, China, India, Rome, Turkey, Russia, Las Vegas/New York, Valencia, Paris, Singapore, South Korea, Abu Dhabi.

Loosing the circuits that have been in trouble lately, or have sort term deals,

Austrailia, Germany, Canada, Japan.

That just leaves Interlagos at which to get some overtaking! :hmm:

Edited by Retro_Link

FYI BBC 4 broadcast some great biographies on Stewart, Graham Hill and Clark back to back last night - the Stewart documentary isn't available on iplayer but the other two are, so grab 'em while you can.

Yeah I saw them and they were fantastic! Everyone should check out the Clark one i thought it was fantastic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8427552.stm

SCHUMACHER IS BACK :D

Looks like he's signed a one year contract with an option to stay an extra year if his comeback is successful :) Fantastic news, I'm incredibly excited! Like him or not I think it's great for F1 to have him back, especially with the race-fixing scandal of last season and Liargate giving the sport such bad publicity.

THE KING IS BACK! woop.

Next season is shaping up to be great. Even though I am saddened by the loss of Kimi, Schumacher's return makes up for it... slightly. :p

I think it has the potential to be the most competitive season in recent memory and there are 4 or 5 teams / 10 driverscthat could possibly walk away with the titles this year, which is great!!

Here's how I see the driver line-up shaping up this season... bold are confirmed.

McLaren–Mercedes

1. Jenson Button

2. Lewis Hamilton

I think Jenson, sadly, is going to get trounced by Lewis this year. If McLaren's car is as good as it was at the end of '09, Lewis has a great chance to win the championship this year. They need to get off to a strong start and build from a better base than last years mess.

Mercedes

3. Michael Schumacher - As good as confirmed

4. Nico Rosberg

One lesson I have learned as an F1 fan is never rule out Ross Brawn, last year proved that in many ways, now that he's back with his old pal I expect much of the same. I do however expect Rosberg to give 41-year-old Schumi a run for his money and a years worth of experience with someone as experienced and succesful and Michael will have an immense effect on Rosberg, who I believe is a future WDC

Red Bull–Renault

5. Sebastian Vettel

6. Mark Webber

With little change to the aero-regs this year I can see Red Bull probably lying a bit behind Maccas, Mercs and Ferrari's, but it's up to them to prove last year wasn't a fluke and if Vettel is on form again, there's no reason why they cant go one step further and win either championship. They should have got a better (more reliable) engine contract though because that really hampered them last year and if reliability is an issue again, this season will be another missed oppertunity. Webber has to perform like he did in Germany this year - if Red Bull push for the title and he isn't strong he could be replaced for 2011.

Ferrari

7. Felipe Massa

8. Fernando Alonso

On paper, I think Ferrari have the strongest driver line-up. They've offloaded unneccesary 'consultants' and should just concentrate on giving the two fastest drivers on the grid, the fastest car. If they do this, then I expect and incredible battle between Massa and Alonso for the championship. I'm also kind of hoping this is the case - I'm not particularly a Ferrari fan, I just think this is quite possibly the most fiery driver line-up of the past 10 years, both are heated competitors and seeing it explode in the last few races would make amazing viewing. I'm sure they will push each other beyond their limits if the WDC is at stake. I would really like to see Massa take the title this year, he outperfomed Kimi for the last 2 years and was desperatly unlucky in 2008. He is WDC material and it would be a shame if he didn't clinch one

Williams–Cosworth

9. Rubens Barrichello

10. Nico Hulkenberg

After Rosberg's consistently good perfromances last year I'm expecting big things from Williams this year. I expect Barrichello will push and Hulkenburg will try to outdo his experienced team mate. The battle between them should be interesting and if the car is quick they should certainly be the 'best of the rest'

Renault

11. Robert Kubica

12. Vitaly Petrov

I'm expecting Petrov to take the second seat because of his apparent connections with the new owners (Genii Capital or something....). I was really disappointed that Prodrive and Dave Richards didn't take over the 75% stake because they are a real racing team, interested in racing. Not like this profit driven corporation that has taken over. I feel sorry for Kubica and hopfully the surviving members of the Renualt team will have the passion to develop a good car and put to rest the unpleasent memories of the recent past, otherwise this could be another season to forget for Kubica.

Force India–Mercedes

14. Adrian Sutil

15. Vitantonio Liuzzi

Force India have proved themsleves as serious points contenders in the past year and I hope Mallya and the rest of the team continue forward and set higher targets for this season. They have a operation capable of moving forward in a big way and two very competant (if a little inconsistant) drivers. I'm predicting a good haul of points, constrcuters finish of 7/8 and maybe a podium if they're lucky.

STR–Ferrari

16. Sebastien Buemi

17. Jaime Alguersuari - As good as confirmed

Last season was quiet on the Toro Rosso front compared to 2008 and I'm expecting the same this year. Vettel was the exception in their maiden GP victory in 2008 and while Buemi is certainly one to watch he is still lacking in confidence to pull of anything close to what Vettel achieved with the team. Hopefully the development of the car will be more parallel to Red Bull as opposed to a few races behind because it would be intertesting to see the two young guys pushing for points. I hope Alguesuari gets the seat because he seems like a genuine chap and isn't a slow as some of the other young guys (Like Grosjean), I think he just did enough last year to win the seat.

Lotus–Cosworth

18. Jarno Trulli

19. Heikki Kovalainen

Lotus are going to make an impact next season, in my opinion. They have chosen two experienced and talented drivers (if not 100% consistent). I do think the driver line-up compliments their ambitions and they seem to be the furthest along in development so hopefully they will be able to prove that come Bahrain and establish themseleves as the top of the new teams. With Mike Gascoyne on board, I can see this happening

Campos Dallara–Cosworth

20. ?

21. Bruno Senna

All has been a little quite on the Campos front, I'm not entirely sure what to expect from them. I believe they wanted one experienced driver and one younger one so judging by their decision to hire Senna, they will likely try to acquire and experienced driver who has raced in F1, probably Pedro De La Rosa (as he is also spanish and brings in sponsership). I think this would be their wisest move as he isn't a bad driver, is very experienced and has raced for McLaren afetr Montoya left. Senna is one to watch for the future and I expect him to punch above the car's weight on a couple of occasions.

US F1–Cosworth

22. Alex Wurz ?

23. ?

A lot of talk on Autosport and from Bernie suggests that USF1 won't even make the grid. I don't want to be pessimist and I think they will be there. Apparently development is coming along well and they are currently molding the chassis to accomadate the Cosworth engine. On the driver front I am expecting Alex Wurz to sign up as many rumblings have pointed in this direction. Also rumours suggest they want an American driver or 'one with American experience.' Hopefully this suggests good old Jacques Villeneuve could join as he has been in talks with teams... 5 WDCs in one season would be a tasty prospect!! I wouldn't rule out Bourdais for this role or other 'high-profile' Indy car racers. I do however expect USF1 to be bringing up ther rear next year, but I do hope they see the entire season out.

Virgin–Cosworth

24. Timo Glock

25. Lucas Di Grassi

I don't really know what to make of Virgin, they seem to mean business and I certainly expect them to fare better than Campos and USF1, but I am unsure as to whether or not their technological approach to design will be succesful. Using a computer to design a race car without using a wind-tunnel (Branson has a point, it's expensive, very expensive) is thus far unproven and I really hope that Virgin prove that it's NOT neccesary but I'm not holding my breath. Timo is a good driver, deserves a seat in F1 and I hope this move doesn't wreck his career. As for a team-mate, he is a proven force in GP2 and I hope he makes the transistion to F1 in a similar vain that his team-mate did.

Sauber–Ferrari

26. Nick Heidfeld - 99% Likely IMO.

27. Kamui Kobayashi

I am so pleased to see Sauber back on the grid! Now that Schumi's gone to Merc I'm certain they'll snap up Heidfeld and I desperaty hope he can pick up a race win just to prove the doubters wrong. He is fast, he is VERY consistent and I feel as though had Jesus' second coming not occured he would have been more than worthy of the Merc seat. As for his team-mate, well who ISN'T a fan of Kamikaze-Kobayashi?! I'm so pleased he secured a seat and he rounds of what is a very exciting looking grid for 2010.

Edited by Nicktendo

Possible 3 year deal.

That's what I've been reading all over the place. I'm surprised he's signed for that long - presumably he'll break it off once Mercedes secure Vettel after a year or two but he's obviously prepared to go all the way. So long as Merc bring the car, with Brawn on the wall an 8th championship is a frightening possibility.