NEurope

Great news about Silverstone :D

Spend some money on a redesign of the track *cough* A GOD DAMN HARD BRAKING ZONE *cough* and i'm happy.

This is the proposed new layout:

_45493670_silverstone.gif

Not really sure why the bikes can't go the normal way, but I like the look of that new layout anyway.

They're looking at running the cars on the new 'Arena' circuit aswell.

I'm not sure what I think about that. Personally I love seeing the cars come flying down the dip and immediately right at Bridge!

Apparently they need to redesign to meet MotoGP safety standards on that section, and it lets them add a new set of grandstands. On the off-chance the FIA doesn't put it's stamp on it they can still run the traditional section for F1 anyway. I think it should be fine, all the best bits of Silverstone are untouched and anything that increases spectator capacity can only be a positive thing.

^ Well if they use the Moto GP circuit which it sounds like they want too I'll miss Bridge and Priory, and all the F1 circuit gains is a couple of straights and a semi-hairpin.

^ Well if they use the Moto GP circuit which it sounds like they want too I'll miss Bridge and Priory, and all the F1 circuit gains is a couple of straights and a semi-hairpin.

Which it kind of needs for overtaking tbh. Bridge etc are great (infact Silverstone is brilliant in some ways) but with such weak braking areas we see very little overtaking (unless it's raining ofc :)); atleast that'll be a little better.

Though the Priory-Luffield complex seems to allow for more overtaking than you get at the majority of circuits nowadays. It slows the cars right down, and in bunching them up theres quite often a fair bit of overtaking around and out of Luffield corner.

Theres a bit of a corner before Fuffield on the new design, but I'm not sure it'll do the same job.

Yes straights and hairpins can be good for overtaking, but you only have to look at the Yas Marina Circuit, where coming out of a hairpin on to the longest straight in F1 couldn't even help overtaking in this dire era of F1 aero regs.

Though the Priory-Luffield complex seems to allow for more overtaking than you get at the majority of circuits nowadays. It slows the cars right down, and in bunching them up theres quite often a fair bit of overtaking around and out of Luffield corner.

Theres a bit of a corner before Fuffield on the new design, but I'm not sure it'll do the same job.

Yes straights and hairpins can be good for overtaking, but you only have to look at the Yas Marina Circuit, where coming out of a hairpin on to the longest straight in F1 couldn't even help overtaking in this dire era of F1 aero regs.

Well tbf that would've been alright if Tilke didn't go and put the worst chicane EVER before that hairpin *sigh*. He's a dousche.

Can't argue with that.

I enjoy the look of the proposed circuit, I like the section they've got rid of, but as others have said not much actually happens there in terms of overtaking.

F1 fans in the office are already planning a trip to a testing/practice session, I think I will most certainly go along with them. Seems like things a starting to fall into place for next year now, just a few more gaps to fill and we're good to go. The start of the season can't come soon enough if you ask me!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80521

F1 set to adopt new points system

Formula 1 is set for a radical alteration to its points system in 2010 if the World Motor Sport Council approves an F1 Commission proposal to give points to the top 10 finishers in each race.

In today's Commission meeting, chaired by Bernie Ecclestone and attended by FIA president Jean Todt, a new scoring system was put forward which will award 25 points to each race winner, 20 for second place, 15 for third and 10 for fourth, before descending 8-6-5-3-2-1 for fifth through 10th positions.

The change has been proposed to take into account the increased field for 2010, when the addition of the new entrants will take the grid up to 26 cars, its highest figure since 1995.

Assuming it is approved by the WMSC, the change would be the first revision to the points system since the number of scoring drivers per race was increased from six to eight in 2003.

The F1 Commission also agreed that its Sporting Working Group sub-committee should develop "detailed proposals to improve the show" that would take effect next year, and that "the FIA and FOM will further collaborate to enhance the communication and promotion of the championship to the media and its worldwide fanbase."

It would be a similar system to the one used in Moto GP. I could see it working. Edited by Retro_Link

I like that plan, I've always thought winners of a race should be rewarded more and this seems to do just that. Having the points run further down the field is a good thing too, makes it much fairer for the regular midfield runners and the lucky race back markers have every once in a while.

Some other news headlines -

Ex-F1 Drivers to become part of the stewarding team at each GP - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8408475.stm

Renault Team partly bought-out to race in 2010 - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8407138.stm

Schumacher - Mercedes rumors continue to gather pace - http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2009/12/schumacher_returning_looking_i.html

Film at 11.

Schumacher - Mercedes rumors continue to gather pace - http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2009/12/schumacher_returning_looking_i.html

I thought Schumi was gonna switch to rallying?... how else is he gonna mess with Kimi's car!

But seriously, I'd prefer it is Schumi just moved on! It seems he's always gonna be hanging round F1. So much for being a team leader Nico, get ready to be Rubinho mk.II!

Damn that was a lucky escape by Rubens! Can you imagine!!

Fairly sure I said way back when the medals were being considered that that system is the best to use ;)

Positive steps!

You have to wonder how Cosworth being an engine supplier for non corporation teams will affect how the next season will be, will Cosworth be the best or worst engine on the grid? How will reliability play out? There is so much to speculate next season I hope things will only improve for the sport.

The Cosworth could be very interesting indeed, on the one hand they are unproven in recent years but on the other that have extra development time plus the advantage of supplying a few teams so gathering more data.

If all the new teams make it to the grid I think the first part of next year could be as good as the start of this year's season was.

Wasn't the start of '09 boring?... Brawn, brawn, brawn, brawn... yawn.

I honestly don't understand why they haven't scrapped the DDD for 2010 onwards.

It ruined the whole point of the 2009 regs, and the cars that didn't have one at the start of '09 were so much more fun to watch.

I can see why they kept it for '09... it was a gap in the regs, dev costs, controversial to take away Brawns success etc... but why hasn't the gap in the regs now been closed off, and lets see if the new Aero rules actually do anything and move on from there.

Button winning everything was boring but it was actually one of the most enjoyable starts to a season I can remember.

Agree on the DDD, I guess they are reasoning that if everyone has it they don't need to ban it. They are so close to actually sorting out the regs it seems stupid to not go the whole way.

So we still have DDD's? True, it's pretty damn ignorant to not ban those after they ruined the overtaking the 09 regs were meant to help.

Logo is ok I suppose, driver pairing is very boring though. I think I'll find it very hard to back a team with that driver lineup.

Disappointed by that line up. Was hoping for Davidson to get a drive for them. Should be a very mediocre season for them.