NEurope
ReZourceman

I'll Have 4, 12, 87 and 163 Please.

We had a side-dish of jellyfish from the chinese the other day. Man that is weird! It looks gooey like noodles, but then you eat it and discover that its crunchy. Very bizarre.

I usually have prawn curry with egg fried rice because its my favourite, but i do like other dishes like duck with plum sauce etc. I found out that they dont actually have curry sauce in China though, so i'll be a bit lost when i got here this year!

I hate to say this, but real Chinese food in China (as opposed to the pretend kind) is nothing like the takeaway kid in the UK. I was rather devastated when I found out.

Though a lot of the stuff here is nicer than most greasy MSG-filled crud at the Takeaways in the Motherland, I do miss Sesame Prawn Toast. Everything else you can find here no problem, and is much better. My school cooks do a mean pork chow mien.

And Jellyfish when done properly is rather yummy, like a sweet chewy cabbage. It's almost always served cold as one of the starting dishes at the Chinese New Year Banquets.

I'm not so keen on Chinese takeaway these days (but will still readily eat it), but love some of what I've had of "genuine" Chinese food. I've only had such things in Japan and Chinatown, but a friend of mine who's been to China for a couple of months told me it was much like actual Chinese. One thing that's great is char siu bao:

dsc01833lk6.jpg

We went to a Malaysian restaurant the other day and had a shed load of dumplings, bean buns, fried fish rolls, wun-tuns and durian balls on a half-price offer. Enough food to feed you adequately for two meals for a mere 100RMB. Bonza.

Usually the Duck/Pancakes as that is essential. :grin: Then some Spare Ribs. Then egg Fried Rice and some other random dishes. :D

Though recently the last year we only get the Duck/Pancakes and my mum makes all the rest including the Egg Fried rice. It is very tasty. :yay:

chicken, mushrooms, blackbean sauce

YUMMMMMMMMMY

OR.. from the chinese near where i work

1/2 and 1/2 fried rice and chips, 2 chicken balls and curry sauce... YUMMMMY

damn i want one

Chinatown is pretty good for food, although it can be expensive. Its best to avoid any restaurant that has jiu in its name, meaning that it serves alcohol. Those places tend to be dearer for some reason.

alcohol.gif

The first character on that image is jiu.

I really want to go to Japan just to experience a proper bento lunch. I've never had Japanese food that I didn't like.

Iun, what does durian taste like?

Edit: Double post, sorry.

Iun, what does durian taste like?

Edit: Double post, sorry.

Er, it tastes pretty foul, Pyxis. Pretty foul.

Unless it's piping hot. in which case you can't taste it because all your skin has been melted off.