NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

Sony Vs Nintendo

On the console front, who is really ahead in the area of ingenuity? I think LBP has caused a spike in Sony's metaphorical line graph in my opinion. Nothing really ingenious is coming out of Nintendo, besides Galaxy.

Nintendo. Barely.

I still think Wii Fit/Music are leagues ahead of anything else out there in regards to pure innovation (or BALLS).

Bit of a difficult argument though as there are so many "types" of games now. And the entire word "game" is now up in the air. Is something like Cooking Guide a game? Same for something like HOME.

If we're talking traditional games I do feel galaxy brought a lot to the table (in regards to 3D platformers) and yes, LBP does a lot of great work. But...IMO Nintendo are still the company with the bigger balls. (Iwata's in particular!)

+ Wii Sports Resort looks like a great leap for Wii (and it's nice to see the CONTROLLER bringing it. Although many would probably have died happy if there was some kind of expansion pak shown.) Sony are doing some great stuff online and there 1st party games have also been great. But with something like BUZZ! They just aint advertising it well enough. If there were "lifestyle" ads (ala Wii Fit/Music) for BUZZ! it may actually sell.

The market has massively changed this generation and BOTH Sony and MS need be ingenious in other areas to grasp this facet.

*And before a slagging war starts on Nintendo's casual focus, I was damn tired of the same games every few years with "polish" and "next gen" effects. Wii and DS rejuvenated my passion for gaming.*

I think they are both innovating in different directions. Nintendo is pushing accessibility and utility while Sony are leagues ahead on the technical and artistic aspect.

Sony are doing some great stuff online and there 1st party games have also been great. But with something like BUZZ! They just aint advertising it well enough.

My brother's company did Buzz on the PSP and apparently it was around 15th in the chart in the first week. Then HMV advertised it and it went up to number 1 for two weeks. Went back to around 15 another week and then back up to number 1 when they advertised it again.

(Isn't LBP developed by Media Molecule and thus not a Sony innovation?)

On the console front, who is really ahead in the area of ingenuity? I think LBP has caused a spike in Sony's metaphorical line graph in my opinion. Nothing really ingenious is coming out of Nintendo, besides Galaxy.

in terms of innovation there is and never was any doubt that nintendo are the best of the 3.

Sony has never invented a thing for gaming(significant anyway) besides perhaps dual analogue controllers first.

Microsoft at least revolutionised console on-line gaming.

in terms of games.. hmm Nintendo are a bit lacking in quality compared to last year.. I can't stand wii music but I do appreciate the innovation behind and think it will lead to more great ideas in the future.

This is kind of one of those threads were nothing much can be discussed.. It's not opinion here just fact that NIntendo are the most innovative. In games in hardware in everything :)

(Isn't LBP developed by Media Molecule and thus not a Sony innovation?)

Sony may not have come up with it but they had a hand in its development and promotion.

In games in hardware in everything :)

No and no and no.

Okay, I'll give you hardware.

Like this is even up for discussion :D

Nintendo win in most areas, what they did with Miis and the channel system is great and subsequently robbed by MS; but still not implemented as well; and obviously nintendo's first party simply can't be beaten; as in one company producing as much work of the same high standard. Obviously people will prefer Gears 2 more than all off Nintendo first party efforts, but the sheer level of variety and exellence in Metroid, Galaxy, Zelda, Wii Fit, Sports, Wario land, Music etc etc. So much from one company, can't be beaten.

What I will say though, is that HOME is truly incredible and should be the way forward for MS and Nintendo; also, Sonys evolution of the gamer points is infinitely superior, trophies are so much more tangible; I beat a game, I have a trophy; thats great, trophies for specific games, brilliant. A 5000 gamer score - what the fuck does that actually mean other than you play a lot of games. I've never liked it, never understood why people care about it; but Sonys version is great.

So for me, Nintendo hands down, though Sony and MS have done great stuff!! Sony with Home in particular and MS with online.

Nintendo on software, accessibility and control!!

Sony may not have come up with it but they had a hand in its development and promotion.

No and no and no.

Okay, I'll give you hardware.

No, no, no?

Also, we are talking now aren't we? If we're talking history then NO ONE can even come close to holding a candle next to Nintendo. NOT. EVEN. CLOSE!

I assume we are talking about now (this year and next) since this thread is referring to LBP.

I don't dispute historically Nintendo have mopped up in terms of innovation.

Nice thread master Baggins, the Ents are going to war!

Nintendo without a doubt, its history is unbeatable which leads to many of those innovations getting stolen. With that said, I believe there's a more even effort between all console makers in this generation, each one is trying something different, which is nice.

Nice thread master Baggins, the Ents are going to war!

Nintendo without a doubt, its history is unbeatable which leads to many of those innovations getting stolen. With that said, I believe there's a more even effort between all console makers in this generation, each one is trying something different, which is nice.

I;m not sure I think they are even the most innovative now... I meanwith the wii and evenything we all know the next 720 and ps4 consoles will come with motion sensing controllers :)

I hate it when people go on about Nintendo's ideas being 'stolen'. There's a whole dialectic process going on that means the winner is the consumer.

I;m not sure I think they are even the most innovative now... I meanwith the wii and evenything we all know the next 720 and ps4 consoles will come with motion sensing controllers :)

The Wii is without a doubt the most innovative console.

I hate it when people go on about Nintendo's ideas being 'stolen'. There's a whole dialectic process going on that means the winner is the consumer.

And I hate it when they steal.

What I will say though, is that HOME is truly incredible and should be the way forward for MS and Nintendo;

It's a nice optional extra, but that's it. I'd much rather just spend as little time in menus/virtual lobbies and just play games.

A 5000 gamer score - what the fuck does that actually mean other than you play a lot of games.

A Trophy Level of 10 - what the fuck does that actually mean other than you play a lot of games?

Nintendo's biggest innovation this generation is advertising. Creating something that can be seen as an entertainment device for everyone rather than a "computer games console".

I think they are both innovating in different directions. Nintendo is pushing accessibility and utility while Sony are leagues ahead on the technical and artistic aspect.

Nice input guys.

I guess this is where it *all lays. But are both on equal terms?

I beat a game, I have a trophy; thats great, trophies for specific games, brilliant. A 5000 gamer score - what the fuck does that actually mean other than you play a lot of games. I've never liked it, never understood why people care about it; but Sonys version is great.

So for me, Nintendo hands down, though Sony and MS have done great stuff!! Sony with Home in particular and MS with online.

Nintendo on software, accessibility and control!!

This is what I hate about Mircosoft.

Its some stupid way of people getting buy to games who get happy over numbers that have no meaning at all.

A Trophy Level of 10 - what the fuck does that actually mean other than you play a lot of games?

One thing I like is that you unlock stuff in Home with the newer trophies. It's not a big thing but I think it's pretty neat. I love my Pac-Man t-shirt and arcade cabinet and all I had to do was unlock them. Basically a free bonus.

Nice input guys.

I guess this is where it *all lays. But are both on equal terms?

Both are different and necessary. When it comes down to it it is personal preference.

I still think Wii Music are leagues ahead of anything else out there in regards to pure innovation (or BALLS).

How exactly? Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Singstar, Dance mats, DK bongo thingies, Countless mini/party games, even Parappa the Rapper have all done something similar.

How exactly? Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Singstar, Dance mats, DK bongo thingies, Countless mini/party games, even Parappa the Rapper have all done something similar.

Similar but not the same. Wii Music does some thing COMPLETELY different within the music genre and I have no doubt whatsoever that Miaymoto will get his wish that in years to come, future musicians will credit Wii Music for getting them interested. My 3 year old newphew can now mimic all the instruments, knows what they sound like, and understands the concept of 'playing' tunes and timing. He also knows what an ocarina is! I didn't until 1998!!!

One thing I like is that you unlock stuff in Home with the newer trophies. It's not a big thing but I think it's pretty neat. I love my Pac-Man t-shirt and arcade cabinet and all I had to do was unlock them. Basically a free bonus.

Both are different and necessary. When it comes down to it it is personal preference.

Exactly, there's a 'point' to it, not just something random, you 'get' something.

It's a nice optional extra, but that's it. I'd much rather just spend as little time in menus/virtual lobbies and just play games.

Nintendo's biggest innovation this generation is advertising. Creating something that can be seen as an entertainment device for everyone rather than a "computer games console".

Trophy level 10? No idea what you're sying :D Though I do know that if someone has a gold trophy on Uncharted then they have done something big!! a gamerscore of 10000 still tells me nothing!!