NEurope

New Sony advert that pokes fun at Wii and Natal.

I'm assuming from all the hands-on impressions that the fighting game doesn't actually play as smoothly as shown?

Digital Foundry vs. PlayStation Move - Here's a good article from the generally excellent Digital Foundry.

Edited by Daft

Just been watching the BAFTA Video Game Awards, anyone else see it?

Miyamoto's acceptance speech was epic, that has to be the longest he's ever spoken in English before.

I also love how he almost sent Ant & Dec flying at one point! :laughing:

What an absolute legend that man is. :bowdown:

Shame it was only broadcast online.

For those that missed it, highlights are going to be available tomorrow at the BAFTA site:

http://www.bafta.org/awards/video-games/

I'm sure stuff will be on YouTube before then though.

Over at MTV, Reggie has gone public and stated that Nintendo

don't enjoy making mature games - hey, Reggie, that clearly shows.

"Now, the challenge for us is that we, ourselves, Nintendo, don't create that type of content. We're not experts at it. Our developers don't particularly enjoy making that content. They probably could make stellar content, if they chose to. We choose to do something else. So it really is up to the third party developer to create that great content and bring it to life on the platform."

It seems the cash leden Nintendo continues to hope that third parties will deliver the mature product we're all waiting for - a plan that clearly isn't working so well. Perhaps its time Nintendo spent a little of this money and got more western developers onside (afterall they do choose to make that content - and are pretty darn good at it on occasions).

Nintendo do make mature games though. Zelda is full of life lessons.

If they wanted they could add extra blood to Zelda and Metroid and get a "Mature" rating in the US, but what would be the point? I don't get it.

Reggie is no doubt talking about the in-house guys in Japan. Nintendo DO get second parties and third party affiliates to make 'mature' games in the sense that he's talking about. Just look at Zangeki no REGINLEIV and Disaster.

Nintendo and their second parties will make whatever games they want to, not getting tied down by what seems to be Zeitgeist. I personally think that's fantastic. Nintendo don't really want to make bloody action games? Don't care. I'd rather have the developers able to realise their own vision, and that's the reason we have faith in stellar content.

I asked this earlier but I think something happened with the database errors so I'll post again. Being as blunt as last time, I was wondering if anyone could kindly send across some friend vouchers from Metroid Prime Trilogy.

I've got a few I'd be happy to send over in return. Thanks :)

Wii Bargains at GAME/Gamestation

Zack and Wiki £6.98

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles £9.98

Tatsunoko vs Capcom Ultimate All Stars £13.98

Edited by welsh_gamer
Cheaper

welsh_gamer, you're my kind of shopper. Never stop posting these sexy, sexy deals. Even if they're off limits to hideous foreigners like me.

welsh_gamer, you're my kind of shopper. Never stop posting these sexy, sexy deals. Even if they're off limits to hideous foreigners like me.

This. He's making spend money I don't have.

At least it's money I don't have well spent.

Blastworks £4.98
:eek:

Wow.

If there are any shoot 'em up fans that haven't picked BW up, don't hesitate in getting a copy! Fiver for it is an absolute steal! Especially as it's practically non existent in the shops.

I was thinking about the next Nintendo console... Sony and Microsoft are very keen on 3D, so it's likely their next consoles will be built to render all the games as such (incidentally, this is the first indication that the PS3 and Xbox 360 are slightly "outdated").

Nintendo do not like 3D glasses so, as consoles use TVs, it is highly unlikely the "Wii 2" will have 3D capabilities as standard. Therefore, could Nintendo use this as an opportunity to catch up technically? If the Wii 2 had the same processing power as the PS4 and Xbox 3, it could have better graphics because it would only be in 2D.

The other day I was in PC World and a Pixar film was playing on a large HD screen (it was one of the "Cars" films, don't know if there's more than one). The main car was racing along at night and there was a railway track with a train approaching.

If Nintendo could research graphics like that instead of 3D (maybe ray-tracing), then I feel we could have a big jump like the N64 again.

hmm It's very interesting to see where nintendo will go with their next console actually.

They don't like 3d glasses and they don't like to overcomplicate things, they want to keep things in the living room and to keep things affordable..

I think they'll mention it this year at e3 but nothing else will come of it. Pity cause It's exciting to guess but for lesserstuff I'd think..

Graphics will be ps3 standard

On-line gaming will still be behind current standards but with a code unique to a console.

you will be able to transfer vc games over

backward compatible with wii games but perhaps not gamecube games

HD obviously

NO blueray or dvd player

Focus on anti-piracy methods

higher focus on things like BBCiplayer and netflix

Higher focus on wiiware

I think they'll mention it this year at e3 but nothing else will come of it. Pity cause It's exciting to guess but for lesserstuff I'd think..

To be honest, I don't think they will mention anything, perhaps 1 line from Iwata about it, but thats it. All the focus will be clearly on the Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo need to find how to hype the fuck out of it like they did with the DS and Wii...the question is how?

Nintendo need to find how to hype the fuck out of it like they did with the DS and Wii...the question is how?

Edited by LostOverThere
Automerged Doublepost

Ray-tracing has already been done minimally in games. Killzone 2's hudguns were ray-traced from what I understand.

We're not going to see pixar level graphics in games for a very long time though. You just have to look at how long it takes for a single frame to be rendered in a pixar film with a massive rendering farm.

What the medium range gaming PCs can do now is probably the most we're going to see next generation from anyone.

On-line gaming will still be behind current standards but with a code unique to a console.

HD obviously

NO blueray or dvd player

Higher focus on wiiware

Basically this.

Perhaps oneday we will see a ceiling in regards to graphics. Before that gamers will be arguing the detail on single limbs...oh wait, they do that now to a degree!

Anyhoo, when we hit that ceiling we can finally then look to the gameplay which, in theory, could be the only thing which will seperate the good games from the bad.

Hope it's in my lifetime so I can go all Cranky Kong on all the young whippersnappers.

HD obviously

NO blueray or dvd player

Higher focus on wiiware

Basically this.

In all fairness, I don't think so at all...

That would be swimming around in de deepest reddest ocean possible...

Nintendo will try and do something else, that's what they always do.

And I trully think that their next console will be another gameplay-comes-first console made possible by innovation. That's what Nintendo stands for.

They are not simply trying to compete with Microsoft and Sony, they always try to follow their own philosophy; making games accessible and fun for as many people as possible.

And I trully think that their next console will be another gameplay-comes-first console made possible by innovation. That's what Nintendo stands for.

They are not simply trying to compete with Microsoft and Sony, they always try to follow their own philosophy; making games accessible and fun for as many people as possible.

oh ya you're right , I didn't say anything major in my predictions but I do believe a lot of the above will be the minor things that stay the same or whatever..

I'm ignoring the main part because who can guess what they are going to do.

Since when does red ocean mean "Up to standard" It just means the primary focus of the product is different from that of its competitors. Updating the hardware to the level of at least the other current generation machines, and adding a few more features that people expect, isn't at all red ocean. Nintendo's main focus probably isn't going to be input method either this time around. Looking at what both Sony and Microsoft are currently doing that would be the actual red ocean. They're probably not even going to be going for the same market they did last time.