NEurope
Caris

Car insurance

Right guys i need your help.

I'm 20 and have had my full license since May 2008, i have been a named driver on my mums car now I'm looking to get my own car in the next month or so. Nothing special just a 1.2 Clio or something along these lines, not a sporty one or anything.

Now all the quotes i have got are around £1300. Why the fuck is this? I know i am young but a lot of my mates have had there first year for about £800. The car will be kept in a drive and not in a rough area.

Could anyone help/find me a cheaper quote?

I'm 20 and have had my full license since May 2008, i have been a named driver on my mums car now I'm looking to get my own car in the next month or so. Nothing special just a 1.2 Clio or something along these lines, not a sporty one or anything.

Now all the quotes i have got are around £1300. Why the fuck is this? I know i am young but a lot of my mates have had there first year for about £800. The car will be kept in a drive and not in a rough area.

It's not cheap because you're a riduclous young male driver who is FUCKING UP ALL THE ROADS OMGOMG YOUNG MAN IS GONNA KILL US ALL.

And you have no no-claims because you've been a named driver, so they don't care for your driving experience much, I don't think. I don't know, it's what I've heard. But I was 20 when I passed and my own policy on a car even just 3rd party fire and theft was looking around £1300, I shortly stopped looking at driving as a truly viable option for anything.

My serious advice would simply to be try the comparison sites, all of them, and hope you get lucky. Alternative is depending how much/when you drive, get one of those pay as you go insurance things. I remember MoneySavingExpert used to have a nice guide to insurance and trying all the comparison sites, might be worth a check. Just out of interest, who's currently giving you the cheapest quote?

Have you tried Quinn? They're meant to be cheap apparently.

Yep, thats who I'm with. Cheapest quotes two years running.

I was 20 for my first year, and Quinn were the cheapest at like a grand.

I'm 20 and have had my full license since May 2008, I have been a named driver on my mums car now I'm looking to get my own car in the next month or so. Nothing special just a 1.2 Clio or something along these lines, not a sporty one or anything.

Not in a rough area, but still Newcastle, a decent sized city.

Tried all the price comparison stuff? As some one above mentioned, MoneySavingExpert has a decent guide.

Maybe your mates cars weren't worth as much as yours? Or they gave smaller estimated mileage?

I just got a quote with Quinn and it was ridiculous! £1500 compared with most companies offering £300. Don't think I'll be using them!

Insurance is just one of those things, you have to have it and we get completely ripped off by it. Give it time though and it will come down for you.

try endsleigh, they worship students it seems, got me a cheap deal, even after those old ppl got in my way :|

Most of the time it's based on because you are a male with no, no claims at all.

My insurance at 18 with bike no claims is 700, if I want it in my own name (which it now is) it goes to 900. If I was male and wanted the same thing, with everything else identicle, the cheapest I came across was 1200.

I'm with elephant.co.uk, so maybe an idea to check them out? Price comparison sites are your friend on this one.

We also found that older models of cars were more expensive to insure! I originally wanted a 2003? ford fiesta, the lowest I could get anywhere was about 1000, when I changed it to a 2005 ford fiesta it went down to 700.

It's not always the case but it's worth checking with some insurers!

I havent seen this drive...

I have a great renewal story.

MWAHAHAHA!!!! Call me the barter master! Rang up Admiral to cancel my renewal - on my letter they have offered £623.28, and on Compare The Market, they are the best result at £554.38. So I thought "Right, cancel, and re-buy, get a free meerkat", so I opened Wordpad and wrote down a fake (IMO unrealistic) quote value - £478.56. Rang them up, she said "Sorry to hear you're leaving, what is the quote" so I gave it her, and she asked "Who is that with?" and so I said, (third result on meerkat) Diamond, (actual quote, £562.86) and....she then said something worrying. "That's actually a sister company of ours, have you got the reference number?" (This was already a difficult call for me, as I hate lying) so I was like "Errrr....yeah" and gave it....she re-confirmed the figure, and said one more time "And it was definitely £478.56?" and I said "Yeah...I may have fudged the numbers a bit to get a better deal". A few moments passed and she said "Okay Mr Jamieson, that's your renewal confirmed at £478.56" HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Although I am thinking now I could have pushed it even further, but I was so happy with that amount off anyway. Its still £478 more than I can afford, but yeah. Lolz.

Yeah I've been with Admiral for the past 2 years. Always seem to be one of the cheapest. I'm lazy too and can't be arsed to keep changing anyway for the sake of saving 30 quid or something so I have just stuck with them....

Mine was just under under 400 quid this year for my 1.6 Astra but then I'm 28 and have quite a few years no claims.

I just bought car insurance on Tuesday this week, it cost me £1885 to insure a Vauxhall Astra 1.4 cause I'm a 21 year old lad without any no-claims discount.

You should try putting your mum down as a named driver on your car, I put my dad on my policy to reduce my insurance by £200 but I'm the main driver so I'll be building up a no-claims discount to use for myself.