N-Europe

X-Factor 2008

Slaggis

Egg-noch played it safe with that choon from high school musical. He's already got the school girl vote (the majority audience), so I think it was just a way to consolidate that.

Ruth was one of the strongest singers in the competition. She's sexy, both vocally and looks-wise. A very strong character. Unfortunately, she wasn't suitable for the target audience (a country full of idiots who don't have a clue about music, anymore anyway).

Good luck to her. She was my favourite act in the competition, and pretty much the only reason I've watched this for the first time in years.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you actually vote for her? (I mean, as in pyshically vote for her)

Nope. For two reasons:

1. I like her, but I don't agree with these types of shows. It's a popularity contest, and it will always be one until they choose a better format for choosing the winner or best singer or whatever. If I vote for her this week, then I'd have to have voted for her every week before that, and every week after that, until the final.

2. My single vote would get canceled out by the majority (as stated, teenage girls). The same reason why my vote for the Lib Dems actually means fack all.

First reason, I vaguely understand. But the second, that's balls. Come on, if you think that, then there's probably thousands of others than think the same. If you are Ruths audience, but you aren't voting for her, then no wonder she was constantly in the bottom two/left tonight.

First reason, I vaguely understand. But the second, that's balls. Come on, if you think that, then there's probably thousands of others than think the same. If you are Ruths audience, but you aren't voting for her, then no wonder she was constantly in the bottom two/left tonight.

Well, my first reason outweighs my second. And, I seriously have always believed that she was going to find it hard in this competition, because she isn't what the British public goes for. Look at what or who is successful nowadays. To be honest, she's probably too good for this competition.

I like her, but I dislike this show more. In all honesty, I think it would be better for the country as a whole to cut down on reality tv. So, that's my stance on it.

Well, my first reason outweighs my second. And, I seriously have always believed that she was going to find it hard in this competition, because she isn't what the British public goes for. Look at what or who is successful nowadays. To be honest, she's probably too good for this competition.

I like her, but I dislike this show more. In all honesty, I think it would be better for the country as a whole to cut down on reality tv. So, that's my stance on it.

I totally agree that there is too much reality TV, but with the X-Factor managing to produce someone like Leona, then surely the good points outweigh the bad? Surely it's better than producing constant mindless BB winners? At least Leona has a large amount of talent, rather than just being full of a large amount of utter shit.

Anyway, I see what you mean about Ruth not being "right" for the show. But, I still think if more of the people that thought like you voted for her, then she would still be in the show now.

I totally agree that there is too much reality TV, but with the X-Factor managing to produce someone like Leona, then surely the good points outweigh the bad? Surely it's better than producing constant mindless BB winners? At least Leona has a large amount of talent, rather than just being full of a large amount of utter shit.

Anyway, I see what you mean about Ruth not being "right" for the show. But, I still think if more of the people that thought like you voted for her, then she would still be in the show now.

X-Factor did produce Leona, but then you'd have to look at who else they've "produced", too. Look at all the past contestants. The Cheeky Girls, Chico, Rik Waller (was that his name?), and the millions of others.

It does work well as exposure, but I still think the format of the show is wrong.

Big Brother is awful. It's had its hey-day, and is just repetitive now. Should have been put on ice a long time ago, but Channel 4 have pretty much got fuck all to show nowadays.

She might possibly have still been in it, but then maybe our votes wouldn't have been enough, who knows. On the whole, I don't think I trust the rest of the country to get behind her. 5-10 years ago, I would have voted for her.

X-Factor did produce Leona, but then you'd have to look at who else they've "produced", too. Look at all the past contestants. The Cheeky Girls, Chico, Rik Waller (was that his name?), and the millions of others.

It does work well as exposure, but I still think the format of the show is wrong.

To be fair, they didn't "produce" them...they were just accidental celebrities. They didn't win the show.

That said, the winners are hardly great. Steve Brookstein got nowhere, Shayne Ward was ok, but his comeback didn't go anywhere, Leona is amazing, singing-wise, but seem devoid of any personality. I won't mention the shitty Leon.

I dunno. I watch it as entertainment, but I prefer the music I normally listen to, to be honest.

I AM glad at Diana's success, as it shows and opening up in terms of musical style in the general public.

To be fair, they didn't "produce" them...they were just accidental celebrities. They didn't win the show.

That said, the winners are hardly great. Steve Brookstein got nowhere, Shayne Ward was ok, but his comeback didn't go anywhere, Leona is amazing, singing-wise, but seem devoid of any personality. I won't mention the shitty Leon.

I dunno. I watch it as entertainment, but I prefer the music I normally listen to, to be honest.

I AM glad at Diana's success, as it shows and opening up in terms of musical style in the general public.

It depends on what you mean by produced. They were chosen at an audition, voted for by the judges, given a mentor, and then performed and were voted for by the public. They were given songs to sing, advice and allowed to develop along the way.

Also, you make a point that the big stars are not always the winners. Here is my question: What does winning on the X-Factor actually "mean"? What do winners have to their advantage that the "losers" don't? Imo, not a great deal. Winning the X-Factor...a flawed victory in a flawed show.

I was sad and watched the xtra factor on ITV2 afterwards!

Was pretty funny when james corden came out and slated Britney saying all the x factor lot come out every week sing live infront of millions, britney comes out, mimes does a half arsed performance then clears off to play at heaven for midnight! I have the CD I dont want to listen to that whilst looking at her walking around the stage. Was so funny, the x factor peeps didnt know where to look!

I thought Ruth was probably the best of the night. Shame she didnt get the votes.

Oh my god cant believe im watching x factor :S

It depends on what you mean by produced. They were chosen at an audition, voted for by the judges, given a mentor, and then performed and were voted for by the public. They were given songs to sing, advice and allowed to develop along the way.

Also, you make a point that the big stars are not always the winners. Here is my question: What does winning on the X-Factor actually "mean"? What do winners have to their advantage that the "losers" don't? Imo, not a great deal. Winning the X-Factor...a flawed victory in a flawed show.

Cheeky Girls and Rick Waller didn't get anywhere in the competition...and therefore had no guidance etc.

The only advantage a winenr has is being in the public concious, therefore haviung auto publicity. And obviously a "better" record deal. (If a restricted one)

Right, just been catching up on x factor on youtube

Miley Cyrus - Dont care if she's 7 years my Junior, she is hot and I like the song.

Britney - Just so shit

Diana - Awful Britney song, R.E.M cover was good

Seeing as this Eoagahahahahgianashian seems to be the favourite I'll ignore the fact that he is terrible, JLS are incredibly overrated though.

Think out of pure talent Alexandra just has to win.

Can't be arsed to look but has anyone posted James Cordens brilliant Britney rant yet?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GcZRoN9dyvI

I can't warm to Alex. She just seems to have no personality whatsoever, and then when she does talk I get the urge to throw something at her. Plus, she sounded a little too like beyonce when she sung her song, as in she seemed to mirror her completely in the song.

That's the problem with this year, dont care what the judges say the standard this year is awful. Alexandra is the best because everyone else is bollocks.

gunna have a little JLS rant as well, I hate how they all have their own colours. Like Hi I'm Austin and I wear Blue.

Just grow up lads.

Britney performed the exact same routine at the Bambi awards and the Star Academy thing.

Seeing as the track was pre-recorded so it looked like she was actually singing a little, she could have danced a bit more.

Was still good though, was exciting.

Miley sung live! Was proud of her :) She was head banging and everything and jumping round the stage, and still managed to sound good.

My favourite is still Alexandra, she seems more feisty than Leona, and could be like the British equivalent to Beyonce :D

I'm liking Diana less and less.

The only reason I'm glad she's the projected winner is that she represents "alternative music" in the competition.

Call Me, Man In The Mirror etc were good, but she hasn't been anywhere near as good since.

The only reason I'm glad she's the projected winner is that she represents "alternative music" in the competition.

Call Me, Man In The Mirror etc were good, but she hasn't been anywhere near as good since.

Same here, never realised quite how similar she sounds to the girl from The Cranberries as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJEySrDerj0

Alex is now the favourite.

But yeah, Man in the Mirror was fantasitc. Hopefully this week, we'll get to see her back to her best seeing as they now choose what they want to sing themselves. So it should be stuff in her "style".