NEurope
Darkspine S

Klonoa: DtP ( Out Now! £14.99 Amazon & Play!! )

Leading video games publisher and developer NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. announced today that Klonoa® will be available in North America for Wii™ in 2009. Klonoa’s long-awaited return offers vibrant graphics, motion control and new secrets to discover in this update to the series’ debut adventure. Highly revered as one of the best platform games of the past 10 years, Klonoa will ignite Wii owners’ imaginations with addictive gameplay, exciting stages and a memorable story.

“Klonoa’s return marks an exciting re-boot of this beloved franchise with old-school gameplay, spectacular graphics and an instantly recognizable character,” said Todd Thorson, director of marketing and public relations for NAMCO BANDAI Games America. “Klonoa’s time-tested gameplay and intricate level design make for an awesome experience on Wii.”

Help Klonoa save Phantomile, a land formed by the dreams of its inhabitants, and recently besieged by an unknown evil. Klonoa’s breathtaking journey takes him through a series of increasingly difficult stages across multiple kingdoms as he strives to save his friends and homeland. Throughout his quest, Klonoa is aided by his friend Hewpoe, a benevolent spirit who resides in the ring from which Klonoa is able to fire his Wind Bullet. The Wind Bullet gives Klonoa the ability to grab and inflate his enemies and use them to his advantage.

With a simple move of the Wii Remote™ Klonoa can throw captured enemies to break obstacles, uncover hidden items or defeat other enemies. Klonoa can also use any enemy he is holding to perform a double jump which allows him to reach high ledges or jump across large pits. By moving the Nunchuk™, Klonoa can use his whirlwind to slowdown approaching enemies. In addition to the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controls, Klonoa offers a wide range of control options for any style of play, including Wii Remote only, Classic Controller and the Nintendo GameCube™

I wonder when and if we are going to hear anything about a PAL release.

Namco please localize this to Europe along with Tales of Symphonia 2!:(

1Up - Klonoa: Door to Phantomile Preview

The original Klonoa: Door to Phantomile arrived at a time when the platforming genre was crowded with dozens of Mario 64 wannabes, most of which were derivative drivel complete with shoddy, unmanageable camera work. With Klonoa, game director Hideo Yoshizawa (whose pre-Klonoa credits include the original Ninja Gaiden) kept his critter tied to a functional, yet beautiful 2.5D plane, which combined pseudo-3D interactivity with sensible 2D platforming mechanics.

Long a sought-after collector's item, the original Klonoa for PlayStation was eventually ported to Namco's Japan-only NamCollection on PS2. But with the furry dude's impending resurrection on Wii, due out this Spring, we figured it'd be a good time to chat with Yoshizawa about the series' origins and its place in gaming history throughout the years.

1UP: We're very glad to see Klonoa getting the revival treatment. He's an excellent, if under-appreciated, mascot style character. How does the Wii version differ from the port that appeared on the NamCollection in 2005?

HY: I believe Klonoa is a product that is truly supported by its fans. I receive fan letters even today. NamCollection used the version released in 1997, but this new iteration is a re-master that fully uses the Wii functions.

1UP: This will single-handedly drive the price down on the extremely rare, original PlayStation version of the game. For collectors, this is good/bad news, depending on how you look at it, but for gamers who simply wanted to play this game all these years, it's a godsend. Are you happy to bring Klonoa back into the spotlight?

HY: The PlayStation version aimed to have the best technology and mechanics at that time, and I believed we accomplished that. We're happy that we are able to bring the world we imagined in the original version into the technology and mechanics that we have today.

1UP: Klonoa on PS1 was a rare platformer that innovated without being derivative of the Mario series, while also featuring solid new game mechanics. How much effort did you put in to creating something new, yet familiar so platformer fans would immediately enjoy this game?

HY: At that time, I believed controls that could be used both to move and attack would create a new gameplay element. Also, since a lot of action games followed Mario's example, I forbid the team from using those basic controls such as stepping on enemies. We were initially thinking of using three buttons for the controls: one to throw forward, one to place the enemy in front of the character and one to jump. However, the tempo was not as smooth as imagined. After a lot of trial and error, we decided upon the two button control scheme currently used for the game.

1UP: In the Wii version Klonoa gains a new whirlwind attack, which dizzies his enemies. How much does this alter the balance of the gameplay, and why was it added? Did you feel the original game was lacking something, or was it to give fans of the original something new to try?

HY: We were thinking of new Wii-specific motion control features to put in, but since the game balance of Klonoa was already fixed with the PlayStation version, putting in new features would destroy that game balance. Taking that into consideration, we ended up with Klonoa's whirlwind attack that will slow the enemies' speed. This new feature will help players who have difficulty responding timely to enemies.

1UP: The game's final level truly puts all of the skills you learned in the earlier levels to the test, and while it's challenging, it's never frustrating. You should be proud of having implemented such a gracious learning curve, considering you're responsible for the original hardcore action game, Ninja Gaiden.

HY: When I made Ninja Gaiden, the majority of our audience were only hardcore gamers, so difficult and challenging games were demanded. However, the gaming audience began to widen. Considering this change, Klonoa was aimed to become a game that can be enjoyed by a wide range of people. Even though there may be very difficult but fun placements of enemies scattered throughout, we tried not putting in too many challenging ideas that will stop the player's progression. In that sense, the difficult ideas that we couldn't put in the game are condensed in the extra vision that you will be able to play after clearing the main story.

1UP: The Reverse Mode, in which you play the levels in reverse, is an interesting idea. Is it a nod to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, which featured a similar idea, and how hard was it getting it to work. Did you have to move some things around to get it right?

HY: What we basically did was to reverse all the data from left to right so it didn't take as much time as we had assumed. It was easy to create but it feels fresh and new when you play it.

1UP: One of the most surprising elements of Klonoa is that the ending is surprisingly bittersweet. I recall getting teary-eyed. What was your inspiration for taking this angle with the plot?

HY: I wanted to construct the story similar to a fairytale. If a child were to play this game, they would probably see it only as an adventure story, but an adult would understand the pain the characters are feeling. It takes on a different story depending on the age of the person experiencing it.

1UP: On that note, the follow-up Klonoas on WonderSwan, GBA, and PS2 seemed very lighthearted by comparison to the somber ending of the original Klonoa. Was this to move things more in line with Mario's ever cheerful vibe, to capture more consumers?

HY: Since WonderSwan and GBA versions were sub-stories, I made them into little stories that used dreams as a motif. Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil (PS2) has a different story and maybe people who finished the original Klonoa noticed it. The ending of Lunatea's Veil used the original Klonoa's ending as the motif.

1UP: Klonoa Works: Does this team exist perpetually, creating Klonoa games, or does it disband occasionally to work on other stuff, and regroup when a new Klonoa game is desired?

HY: We regroup whenever desired.

1UP: While you guys have created a Klonoa-themed volleyball game (PS1), you've resisted the urge thus far of doing a kart-racer. Well done! Has that idea ever been proposed, and what other genres can you see Klonoa venturing into?

HY: It is a goal of mine to make a Klonoa game in several genres, but we have nothing planned as of now.

1UP: Will we ever see a port of the Klonoa game for WonderSwan in any form? Or were the GBA games close enough for your tastes?

HY: For now, we don't have anything planned, but I believe the WonderSwan version is a superb action puzzle game and I really want to remake it.

1UP: Will we ever see an all-new, next-gen Klonoa game? Does Namco's continued revival of the older games mean they're still supporting the franchise? Klonoa's game mechanics seem like it could lend itself to some Shadow of the Colossus-style vertical challenges.

HY: We currently don't have anything planned, but I'm hoping we will be able to come up with a new Klonoa game.

The game really looks beautiful and everything, but I don't see the appeal in the gameplay, it doesn't look challenging at all.

NGamer's Japanese import review...

A mean score for a game that doesn't really put a foot wrong. But it only takes tiny steps with its confident feet. Overall, it's a disappointingly underwhelming title.

69%

soo.. there is nothign wrong with the game at all but doesn't "overwhelm you"

hmmm I call bullshit on that this title looks fantastic and plays just like the original which was brilliant..

hmm

Ugh! This game looks bland. What's the appeal of side scrolling at a snail's pace with slow-arsed enemies that pose little to no threat at all? Enjoy the remade scenery I guess. Merry Christmas.

hmm Not sure the orginal wasn't challenging but was fun all the same.. it looks fine compared to most wii games.. I'll wait for more impressions on this.

But I do hope it tusn out to be good because i tend to like these sort of games.

Ugh! This game looks bland. What's the appeal of side scrolling at a snail's pace with slow-arsed enemies that pose little to no threat at all? Enjoy the remade scenery I guess. Merry Christmas.

That's basically what I think.

The enemies aren't a threat...in the first levels. Remember this is supposed to be a puzzle/platformer, so there isn't much action.

I had the opportunity to play one of the GBA Klonoas recently, and yes, it was a bit easy. But then again, I feel that way through a lot of puzzlers, and I still enjoy them. The last levels were insane, though. Button-mashing platformer at its best.

Of course, I still know nothin' about the PS1 game, and I'm not sure if it's like the GBA game.

It's looking good for us Euro peeps.

Good news Europe, it looks like Klonoa is indeed heading your way. While we only have the German USK rating, that’s more than enough to boost hope for the game’s release in all of Europe. Thanks to Lukas for the heads up!

Source: GoNintendo

I was searching the through play.com release list and seen that its down for the preorder price of £17.99. Just a heads up for those interested in the game, like me :)

I was searching the through play.com release list and seen that its down for the preorder price of £17.99. Just a heads up for those interested in the game, like me :)

Beat me to it, I noticed this last night too! :) I was going to ask if Play.com have a policy like GAME and give you the cheaper price if it changes? I presume they do, as I got Chinatown Wars for £17.99.

Gametrailers Review - 8.0

They seem to love it! Really only it's length lets it down!

Seems pre-order price is £14.99 on Play.com. Also release date for Europe looks to be this Friday according to the online retailers.

Seems pre-order price is £14.99 on Play.com. Also release date for Europe looks to be this Friday according to the online retailers.

Sweet! I was going to import this next week as its only $34 which is about £20. But I'll just get it here now, thanks!

Game and Gameplay have yet to list the thing. Im a bit dubious about the release date that Play have down, its preordered anyway and when ever it arrives im sure it will be a fantastic platforming adventure.

Game and Gameplay have yet to list the thing. Im a bit dubious about the release date that Play have down, its preordered anyway and when ever it arrives im sure it will be a fantastic platforming adventure.

Do play take cash on dispatch out of interest or do you pay when you pre-order?

Do play take cash on dispatch out of interest or do you pay when you pre-order?

They take it when its dispatched.

It looks like Play.coms date was right afterall as my copy has been dispatched. This is another game that Gameplay and Game dont seem to be stocking on their websites, very weird.

Aha, so has mine! That's odd, the release date was never publicly announced!

Aha, so has mine! That's odd, the release date was never publicly announced!

OOOOOO! Another N-E person has ordered it. Well done, Nathan! :)

By the way, its £15 over on amazon aswell for the other people that are interested in this game.

Wonder why its not listed on Game? If I'm in the shop tomorrow I'll see if its there and see what the price is.

Wonder why its not listed on Game? If I'm in the shop tomorrow I'll see if its there and see what the price is.

It was on GAME's coming soon list, but was £39.99. I think I'll order it from Amazon for £14.99.

Gametrailers Review - 8.0

They seem to love it! Really only it's length lets it down!

Did they just revealed the ending?!