NEurope
Dog-amoto

Foods you hate

I despise cheese, mostly. Mozzerella is gorgeous, cheddar is bearable, but I despise goat's cheese and stilton, strong stuff like that. The smell of it is usually enough to make me sick.

I despise cheese, mostly. Mozzerella is gorgeous, cheddar is bearable, but I despise goat's cheese and stilton, strong stuff like that. The smell of it is usually enough to make me sick.

Oh god, my work makes spinach and Stilton soup sometimes, and I have to spend 8 hours holding my breath.

Worst. Smell. Ever!!

Oh god, my work makes spinach and Stilton soup sometimes, and I have to spend 8 hours holding my breath.

Worst. Smell. Ever!!

Oh god! :shakehead I think I'd have to quit at that point! :heh:

I do like cheese, but it has to be very mild. The stronger the cheese, the less I like it.

Tuna also equals win. Especially my dad's tuna mousse. It transcends Nirvana.

Had a ham and cheese sandwich yesterday. Fucking didn't mention they had CUCUMBER in it, did they? ARG. Took the bits out and winced and gagged as I ate it. THe taste STAINS.

Cucumber does rob away any other taste - and so does tomato in larger doses. But I do like both. :)

I love cucumber in sandwiches. But tomato i'm afraid, turns my stomach. just the seedy mushy bit in the middle isn't very nice :/

I got put off mayo in sandwiches when I had a tuna subway with mayo that must have been off. I didnt notice at the time, but I was so so ill for weeks. The thought of it even now can make me retch. Oddly enough I still like tuna :D

I love cucumber in sandwiches. But tomato i'm afraid, turns my stomach. just the seedy mushy bit in the middle isn't very nice :/

I got put off mayo in sandwiches when I had a tuna subway with mayo that must have been off. I didnt notice at the time, but I was so so ill for weeks. The thought of it even now can make me retch. Oddly enough I still like tuna :D

I once stumbled upon a sandwich which apparently had mayonnaise in it. Great, I thought, I like mayonnaise. Little did I know it was actually mustard dressing. I didn't finish that sandwich.

And as if the sandwich gods hadn't smitten me enough already, I later got myself a nice French bread sandwich, again with delicious-looking dressing. Oh, the terror I experienced when it dawned on me that the innocent-looking dressing was in fact made from horseradish, a taste which I have since come to despise.

And thus volume 1 of "Danny's Sandwiches of Horror" comes to an end.

I once stumbled upon a sandwich which apparently had mayonnaise in it. Great, I thought, I like mayonnaise. Little did I know it was actually mustard dressing. I didn't finish that sandwich.

And as if the sandwich gods hadn't smitten me enough already, I later got myself a nice French bread sandwich, again with delicious-looking dressing. Oh, the terror I experienced when it dawned on me that the innocent-looking dressing was in fact made from horseradish, a taste which I have since come to despise.

And thus volume 1 of "Danny's Sandwiches of Horror" comes to an end.

Yeah I've had too many experiences like that with sandwiches. This is why the only sandwiches I buy are from subway (and not the tuna ones :heh:) just because you get to choose what stuff you want on it.

But tuna is fish, not meat. =P

Just how I eat chicken as well (though rarely). Which is poultry. When I say meat I mean the flesh from mammals like cows and pigs. =)

.... You're just dodging around it. Meat is the flesh of a living being... no matter where the thing lives.. whether it be in the water, land, or air.

I know it's a little bit more comforting to think of them as lesser beings or such... but... You're just lieing to yourself here.

You know I <3 ya... but.... this is just... You're smarter than that.

.... You're just dodging around it. Meat is the flesh of a living being... no matter where the thing lives.. whether it be in the water, land, or air.

I know it's a little bit more comforting to think of them as lesser beings or such... but... You're just lieing to yourself here.

You know I <3 ya... but.... this is just... You're smarter than that.

Eh, the reason I don't eat meat is -not- because it comes from living beings. They're all equal in my opinion, whether they are a mammal, fish or bird. The reason I don't eat meat is because I hate the taste, not because it's an animal. So I'm not dodging around anything really. =P

I was just trying to differentiate between the different kind of meats out there, since I don't eat one of them but do eat the others.

^Then call it how it is :P

As a vegetarian it is kinda a slap to the face for you to say it like you originally did.

^Then call it how it is :P

As a vegetarian it is kinda a slap to the face for you to say it like you originally did.

Eh? I don't see what I did wrong? There's just different words for the different kinds of meat out there, and I just said I do eat some poultry and fish, but not meat. I never said one kind of animal is better or "worth more" than another kind. :wtf:

It bothers me when I say "I'm a vegetarian." and people respond with something like "Do you eat fish?... Or chicken?"

In which I respond "I don't eat meat."... and they still ask if I eat fish or chicken.

It's like saying that fish and poultry aren't good enough to be called meat... when "meat" is an all encompassing word.... like "vegetable" or "fruit".

It's like saying "I don't eat fruit" then grabbing an apple and claiming that it's not fruit.

Eh? I don't see what I did wrong? There's just different words for the different kinds of meat out there, and I just said I do eat some poultry and fish, but not meat. I never said one kind of animal is better or "worth more" than another kind. :wtf:

I believe the relevant question here is whether "meat" refers to all types of meat (fish, poultry etc.) or only meat from mammals.

In modern English usage, meat most often refers to animal tissue used as food, mostly skeletal muscle and associated fat, but it may also refer to organs, including lungs, livers, skin, brains, bone marrow, kidneys, and a variety of other internal organs as well as blood. The word meat is also used by the meat packing and butchering industry in a more restrictive sense—the flesh of mammalian species (pigs, cattle, etc.) raised and butchered for human consumption, to the exclusion of fish, poultry, and eggs. Eggs and seafood are rarely referred to as meat even though they consist of animal tissue. Animals that consume only, or mostly animals are called carnivores.

It bothers me when I say "I'm a vegetarian." and people respond with something like "Do you eat fish?... Or chicken?"

In which I respond "I don't eat meat."... and they still ask if I eat fish or chicken.

It's like saying that fish and poultry aren't good enough to be called meat... when "meat" is an all encompassing word.... like "vegetable" or "fruit".

It's like saying "I don't eat fruit" then grabbing an apple and claiming that it's not fruit.

Eh, you should've said that that's what you meant. I know vegetarians don't eat any kind of meat, including fish and chicken. I'm not stupid.

I was just pointing out that I don't eat a certain kind of meat, but do eat others. -____-;

For people who aren't native English speakers, meat doesn't necessarily translate to something that also includes fish. For example, in Portuguese fish and meat are two distinct things.

*sigh* I was hoping logic would be enough... didn't wanna have to play the dictionary game.

source: http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/meat?view=uk

The meanings of words change, depending on era, dialect, and individual, so your argument is a little pointless - for a start, the word "meat" used to mean food in general, such as in:

"[a merchant] cam in to an hows and axed for mete and specyally he axyd after eggys. And the good wyf answerde that she coude speke no frenshe. And the merchaunt was angry for he also coude speke no frenshe, but wolde haue hadde egges and she vnderstode hym not."

-William Caxton

I don't imagine your definition also includes eggs, so there's no need to get worked up if people need clarification, especially when English isn't their first language.

The meanings of words change, depending on era, dialect, and individual, so your argument is a little pointless - for a start, the word "meat" used to mean food in general, such as in:

You're right, words do change over time, you gave an example of a rather ancient (relatively) scenario... but whatever.

My point is, is that in modern english we commonly refer to meat as just that, meat. The flesh of an animal. That's why I didn't wanna play the dictionary game.

In southern USA a lot of people refer to soda/pop as Coke.

Example:

1: Hey there, want a coke?

2: Yea, sure! I'll have a Dr. Pepper.

You and I both know that they're crazy, but to them they think it's perfectly normal, because where they live.. it is.

More often than not meat is used to refer to the flesh of an animal. I know it can also mean the "heart" of a nut, or the bulk of something... but the point is... is that when you kill an animal... and you take "food" from the animal... you are taking meat from their body. Whether it be kangaroo, salmon, parrot, dolphin, or elephant... it's still flesh... it's still meat.

You're right, words do change over time, you gave an example of a rather ancient (relatively) scenario... but whatever.

My point is, is that in modern english we commonly refer to meat as just that, meat. The flesh of an animal. That's why I didn't wanna play the dictionary game.

In southern USA a lot of people refer to soda/pop as Coke.

Example:

1: Hey there, want a coke?

2: Yea, sure! I'll have a Dr. Pepper.

You and I both know that they're crazy, but to them they think it's perfectly normal, because where they live.. it is.

More often than not meat is used to refer to the flesh of an animal. I know it can also mean the "heart" of a nut, or the bulk of something... but the point is... is that when you kill an animal... and you take "food" from the animal... you are taking meat from their body. Whether it be kangaroo, salmon, parrot, dolphin, or elephant... it's still flesh... it's still meat.

In your dialect sure, but that's not really the point. Given you're playing the dictionary game, I'll turn to the full OED definition:

1. a. Food, as nourishment for people and fodder for animals; esp. solid food, as opposed to drink (but see quots. c1450 and 1575). Now arch. and regional.

1996 R. ALLSOP Dict. Caribbean Eng. Usage 378/1 Meat, fodder (grass, vines, cane stocks, etc) for livestock or horses.

Hmm, that's a fairly recent variant use in a different dialect...

4. a. The flesh of animals used as food, esp. excluding fish and sometimes poultry, and usually in contrast to the bones and other inedible parts; {dag}a dish of this (obs.).

1987 Sunday Express Mag. 2 Aug. (Best of Britain Suppl.) 10/1 The Cistercian monks ate fish not meat, and had fishing rights in the River Dee.

And this example disagrees with you - as the defintion says, meat doesn't always mean fish.

So don't assume that the meaning you apply to the word is the only possible one; if you really want to be pedantic, be so about something you can prove.

Edit: I don't want people getting the idea that dictionaries dictate how you should use words - instead, they merely act as documentation for some uses. If your definitions of words are different, then go ahead and use whatever meanings seem natural, but remember that others may be doing the same.

Now on with the thread!

ehhhh.... didnt mean to cause an argument... i was just wondering about the whole fish/meat thing ~ i figure if i have to kill it to stop it escaping from the plate ~ then it's meat :grin:

about cucumbers!! i never liked them until i saw "my neighbour totoro" ~haha. i saw mei eating one really happily out in the sun and it looked so nice that i wanted to try it! now i love the stuff...!! how fangirly am I?!