NEurope
Daft

Killzone 2

does it do anything physically like a new weapon or is just for bragging rights?

does it do anything physically like a new weapon or is just for bragging rights?

Bragging rights, oh and some trophies.

The more I play this the more awesome it becomes. I just love the variation.

I just tried out the standard assault rifle earlier for the first time in ages and remembered how fun/good it is. There's so many cool combos of abilities its great, just hard to pick one to stick with. Maybe the whole point isn't to stick with one.

Yep its about mixing your abilities for the situation. There is always an answer to all the situations in the game thanks to the classes.

I have unlocked everything in multiplayer now. Also got the gold trophy and 1% rank award. I imagine it will get easier as time goes along. Best to attempt it when you have good bonuses and are scoring high consistently.

Going to focus on single player moreso this week. Playing in Veteran. Its tough but very enjoyable. The game seems to lend well to replayiblity. Lots of good moments to replay.

Yep its about mixing your abilities for the situation. There is always an answer to all the situations in the game thanks to the classes.

I have unlocked everything in multiplayer now. Also got the gold trophy and 1% rank award. I imagine it will get easier as time goes along. Best to attempt it when you have good bonuses and are scoring high consistently.

Going to focus on single player moreso this week. Playing in Veteran. Its tough but very enjoyable. The game seems to lend well to replayiblity. Lots of good moments to replay.

I love how you're the most biased person alive. :heh:

I've played like 4 hours or so and so far I agree with Edge. Nothing terrible to report, nothing outstanding to report... it's just like Resistance... competent FPS experience, nothing to write home about, though.

I've played like 4 hours or so and so far I agree with Edge. Nothing terrible to report, nothing outstanding to report... it's just like Resistance... competent FPS experience, nothing to write home about, though.

I'm sorry but we only take peoples views on here seriously if they post their PSN ID :heh: :heh: :heh: . Go on, you know we want to add you!

I'd give the game more time - the online is very deep but great fun too!

Play the damn game. I could play 4 hours of LBP without going online and say meh just another cutsey platformer. : peace:

Keep playing, also play on medium at least for single player so you use the gameplay mechanics abit more. The online of this game is a must play. So dig into it asap and join us in our conquests.

Comparing it to Resistance is laughable (sorry Dwarf).

Play the damn game. I could play 4 hours of LBP without going online and say meh just another cutsey platformer. : peace:

Keep playing, also play on medium at least for single player so you use the gameplay mechanics abit more. The online of this game is a must play. So dig into it asap. Comparing it to Resistance is laughable (sorry Dwarf).

The first 5 mins of LBP were enough to let me know it was something else entirely.

:heh:

And to both of you, come on... I'm obviously gonna finish the game, but what is really there to set it apart from other similar games? I mean, I'm sure the game is good, but this will never be a Bioshock.

The first 5 mins of LBP were enough to let me know it was something else entirely.

:heh:

And to both of you, come on... I'm obviously gonna finish the game, but what is really there to set it apart from other similar games? I mean, I'm sure the game is good, but this will never be a Bioshock.

Suit yourself then - your loss.

I agree with Edge's score. Not with their awful review, though.

Suit yourself then - your loss.

I'm playing the damn game, how am I losing anything? My loss would be to just not play at all. I've been playing it (though only on weekends, since that's the only time I get to be with the PS3), trying it out, gettint to know it for myself... on what basis am I "losing" anything at all?

I'm playing the damn game, how am I losing anything? My loss would be to just not play at all. I've been playing it (though only on weekends, since that's the only time I get to be with the PS3), trying it out, gettint to know it for myself... on what basis am I "losing" anything at all?

Try the online and don't compare it Bioshock - thats a completely different title.

Single play is a fairly competent game in Killzone but it's online where it truly excels. Don't dismiss it just yet as that would truly be "your loss" - then again it might not be your cup of tea but I was just saying.

Get your PSN ID up! :heh: We're one big happy community here!

Try the online and don't compare it Bioshock - thats a completely different title.

Single play is a fairly competent in Killzone but it's online where it truly excels. Don't dismiss it just yet as that would truly be "your loss" - then again it might not be your cup of tea but I was just saying.

Get your PSN ID up! :heh:

Don't treat me like I'm ignorant, I only compared it to Bioshock in the same sense in which you can compare any two games... my bad for choosing another FPS. I guess I could've said it's never gonna be a LBP instead of Bioshock, because that's pretty much what I mean, it's never gonna achieve excellence. It's a good game, don't get me wrong, but it'll never be great. And fyi, I have played online... it's good... but that's about all I can say about it... it's the same thing that's been done over and over and over and over again. A very solid game, but not one that'll turn any heads is what I meant. And yes, I intend to finish the game, rest assured, and "complete" it, in the sense that I'll really make it be worth what I paid for it. But my point is, I'm sure it'll be very good, but I also know it's going to be irrelevant.

Don't treat me like I'm ignorant, I only compared it to Bioshock in the same sense in which you can compare any two games... my bad for choosing another FPS. I guess I could've said it's never gonna be a LBP instead of Bioshock, because that's pretty much what I mean, it's never gonna achieve excellence. It's a good game, don't get me wrong, but it'll never be great. And fyi, I have played online... it's good... but that's about all I can say about it... it's the same thing that's been done over and over and over and over again. A very solid game, but not one that'll turn any heads is what I meant. And yes, I intend to finish the game, rest assured, and "complete" it, in the sense that I'll really make it be worth what I paid for it. But my point is, I'm sure it'll be very good, but I also know it's going to be irrelevant.

I'll just have to agree to disagree then. I'm not trying to start an argument here mate, your view is as valid as mine.

Can we have a group hug now?

I'll just have to agree to disagree then. I'm not trying to start an argument here mate, your view is as valid as mine.

Can we have a group hug now?

Did I give the impression I was getting involved? :heh: It's just the way I write, I guess. No problem, I'm not getting riled up or anything. : peace:

But seriously, come on, rationally speaking, why do you disagree, what really sets this one apart? (I'll have to get back to you on this one later tonight, cause I'm just about to go out)

And fyi, I have played online... it's good... but that's about all I can say about it... it's the same thing that's been done over and over and over and over again.

Hardly. :) It mixes stuff from different fps but nothing is like this package. Also there are plenty of unique and fresh touches. Much more than other fps this gen when it comes to gameplay. This is where the other reviewers failed as KZ2 does advance the genre. It feels like a 1.5 gen game. Especially in comparsion to stuff like COD4 or R2.

Also the single player is great. The second half blows COD4 out of the water, first half is similar with better AI minus invisible lines and infinite respawning enemies. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it also lends itself to excellent replayability. Cover system was a great idea and adds much depth, (COD badly needs this) and the AI is easily the most advanced in a game so far.

I mean look i unlocked tons of stuff online including paper craft instructions and prints:

2ufu9w0.jpg

One of many reasons to replay single player.

Seriously join us online tonight!

edit: Seems like you dont play much fps. Bioshock is hardly the game that comes to mind when comparing KZ2... I would think Crysis , COD4 etc.

Also the single player is great. The second half blows COD4 out of the water, first half is similar with better AI minus invisible lines and infinite respawning enemies. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it also lends itself to excellent replayability. Cover system was a great idea and adds much depth, (COD badly needs this) and the AI is easily the most advanced in a game so far.

i think you make alot of good points about the game, but this, i just dont see. COD4 was a better experience then killzone 2, so many of CODs scenes stick to mind, but only a few single player moments in KZ made to much impact.

i have enjoyed killzone 2 imensely, especialy online. finding it the most balenced multiplayer since goldeneye.

as for killzone doing nothing remarkable, offering no real change. I agree, it dosent exactly redefine what the fps is. what it does is to damn near perfect the formula we have had for years. every apect of the game was a highly polished example of the fps genra. true, its hardly revolutionary, but its certainly an evolution.

I think that in this game the graphics play a huge part, I mean if the graphics were average it would still be a great game but I think this is one of the rarer cases in which graphics significantly improve my enjoyment of the game.

The online mode is the best for the FPS genre in my opinion. Haven't bothered really playing the campaign because it isn't that fun, but the classes and weapons in this keep it really interesting.

OK, Killzone is the better game but the campaign in Resistance is more engaging and is faster paced. The online mode isn't as great but it's different in style. Whereas in Killzone you usually have little one-on-one battles with a lot seeming to happen around you, Resistance is about being better than the other guy outright whilst being able to fend off and survive the attacks of others. The experiences are entirely different in ways that are hard to explain.

Ok I was just kicking major arse online, and the fucking thing disconnects me. Normally I wouldn't give a shit, but it's the best i've ever done. It was a big match too. I was gonna come in the top 3-4. Fucking vagina of a host got disconnected, so he probably fucked it up for everybody.

i think you make alot of good points about the game, but this, i just dont see. COD4 was a better experience then killzone 2, so many of CODs scenes stick to mind, but only a few single player moments in KZ made to much impact.

I think COD4 still is very good but the actual gameplay mechanics and level design in KZ2 are stronger. From the snipers on Pyruss or the Suljeva minetrain battles to the Maelstra Barrens scene i thought it was much more memorable and replayable. The game mechanics absolutely make all the difference. In comparison with COD4 i liked the cinematic moments over the actual fps and level design... There is only so much infinite respawns anyone can take and its been a common bad design mechanic since Medal of Honor.

i have enjoyed killzone 2 imensely, especialy online. finding it the most balenced multiplayer since goldeneye.

Well i did say the beta was great. They really did an amazing job.

as for killzone doing nothing remarkable, offering no real change. I agree, it dosent exactly redefine what the fps is. what it does is to damn near perfect the formula we have had for years. every apect of the game was a highly polished example of the fps genra. true, its hardly revolutionary, but its certainly an evolution.

You are contradicting yourself. The fact it does take the genre forward is remarkable. Its using alot of brand new, failed and previously lacklustre mechanics and somehow made it all work really well. That is more than what i can say for any other fps this gen which were too safe with gameplay or dumbed down. With KZ2 it feels like progress is being made gameplay wise.

I think that in this game the graphics play a huge part, I mean if the graphics were average it would still be a great game but I think this is one of the rarer cases in which graphics significantly improve my enjoyment of the game.

The online mode is the best for the FPS genre in my opinion. Haven't bothered really playing the campaign because it isn't that fun, but the classes and weapons in this keep it really interesting.

OK, Killzone is the better game but the campaign in Resistance is more engaging and is faster paced. The online mode isn't as great but it's different in style. Whereas in Killzone you usually have little one-on-one battles with a lot seeming to happen around you, Resistance is about being better than the other guy outright whilst being able to fend off and survive the attacks of others. The experiences are entirely different in ways that are hard to explain.

KZ2 is advanced technically all round. Not just visually. Which is why it has that much more impact. It 'feels' like its half a generation ahead of other fps. Which is more important than just looking good. I am glad they really took physics and level design seriously.

R2 is very different as a game. Nothing like KZ2 whatsoever. The experts look like ninjas in R2. Its very hard!

Hardly. :) It mixes stuff from different fps but nothing is like this package. Also there are plenty of unique and fresh touches. Much more than other fps this gen when it comes to gameplay. This is where the other reviewers failed as KZ2 does advance the genre. It feels like a 1.5 gen game. Especially in comparsion to stuff like COD4 or R2.

I don't disagree with anything you wrote on there, except maybe for the AI comment, but I'll reserve that judgement for when I get myself through the game on hard (it's tough only being with the ps3 on weekends...), but I don't think you get what I'm getting at. I'm not saying it's a bad game... like I already said, I'm pretty damn sure it's very good. I'm positive it's the PS3's Halo 3 (minus the engaging storyline), but that's just "it", that's as far as it'll go, just as with Halo 3... Very good games indeed, but none of them will transcend into the anals of history, catch my drift?

Again, the comparison to Bioshock is quite simple, I wasn't comparing them because they're similar, I was comparing them in the same sense in which I would compare any other two completely different games... Put it this way: this current gen, there's 4 games so far that'll go down in history: Bioshock, Fallout 3, LBP and Super Mario Galaxy, that's what I meant... KZ2 isn't that sort of game. As far as comparisons go, I guess I can only really compare it to R2 and Halo 3, in which case I'd rate it 2nd place after Halo (after only 4 hours, I can see it's a tad bit superior to R2).

Now, let's get this out of the way... it's a good game, sure, I won't ever deny that, my point is... it's unremarkable (just like Halo 3, which I happen to love). I'm sure I'll grow to love it and I'm pretty sure that since I have both Halo 3 and COD4 for the 360 and that's the one that's near me during the weekdays, I'll be spending a lot of my free time on the weekends inhabitting the online community of KZ2, when I feel the mood for "that" sort of experience. Speaking of which, I guess that's the only 2 other online gaming experiences right now I can really compare to KZ2's (some might say Gears of war, but that's a different breed of shooter), and from what I've experiences from KZ2, I'd say the online is on par with COD4's, and they're both just a small notch below Halo 3, which, in my opinion, still dominates the genre. What this means is... it's very good. If you ask me, I'd say it's tied for runner up to the crown of best online fps, and that's saying quite a lot, considering it's on the PS3!

My whole point is just, I don't really see it breaking away from anything, it's just a (rock)solid fps, period.

Oh, and I really don't agree with the 1.5 gen thing, but I guess I'll just shut up and finish the game before I elaborate on that.

(also, excuse the late reply, but the forum was updating during the night, which is usually when I come here)

I don't disagree with anything you wrote on there, except maybe for the AI comment, but I'll reserve that judgement for when I get myself through the game on hard (it's tough only being with the ps3 on weekends...), but I don't think you get what I'm getting at. I'm not saying it's a bad game... like I already said, I'm pretty damn sure it's very good. I'm positive it's the PS3's Halo 3 (minus the engaging storyline), but that's just "it", that's as far as it'll go, just as with Halo 3... Very good games indeed, but none of them will transcend into the anals of history, catch my drift?

Why not just approach it with an open mind. It will most definately have a presence in history. Thats something players decide and its a very fun game to be frank. For you maybe not but KILLZONE 2 has left its mark already. It has earned many fans in a short period of time. Certainly in the world of fps. Even pc players are taking notice which is rare for console fps.

Again, the comparison to Bioshock is quite simple, I wasn't comparing them because they're similar, I was comparing them in the same sense in which I would compare any other two completely different games... Put it this way: this current gen, there's 4 games so far that'll go down in history: Bioshock, Fallout 3, LBP and Super Mario Galaxy, that's what I meant... KZ2 isn't that sort of game. As far as comparisons go, I guess I can only really compare it to R2 and Halo 3, in which case I'd rate it 2nd place after Halo (after only 4 hours, I can see it's a tad bit superior to R2).

Well that is highly subjective. I did not like Bioshock at all. Fallout is nice but too time consuming. I would take Halo 3 or COD4 over those. Which i think most others would. Its subjective.

Now, let's get this out of the way... it's a good game, sure, I won't ever deny that, my point is... it's unremarkable (just like Halo 3, which I happen to love). I'm sure I'll grow to love it and I'm pretty sure that since I have both Halo 3 and COD4 for the 360 and that's the one that's near me during the weekdays, I'll be spending a lot of my free time on the weekends inhabitting the online community of KZ2, when I feel the mood for "that" sort of experience. Speaking of which, I guess that's the only 2 other online gaming experiences right now I can really compare to KZ2's (some might say Gears of war, but that's a different breed of shooter), and from what I've experiences from KZ2, I'd say the online is on par with COD4's, and they're both just a small notch below Halo 3, which, in my opinion, still dominates the genre. What this means is... it's very good. If you ask me, I'd say it's tied for runner up to the crown of best online fps, and that's saying quite a lot, considering it's on the PS3!

My whole point is just, I don't really see it breaking away from anything, it's just a (rock)solid fps, period.

Oh, and I really don't agree with the 1.5 gen thing, but I guess I'll just shut up and finish the game before I elaborate on that.

(also, excuse the late reply, but the forum was updating during the night, which is usually when I come here)

Well its your opinion. It may well be unremarkable to you. KZ2 being on PS3 is technically irrelevant when looking at it as a game. As i said i did not see Bioshock or Fallout as remarkable games. Maybe because i have always played many pc games.

Its nothing like Halo. Which i think is a good thing after the whole Halo beater nonsense. Killzone 2 set out to be its own game and it ended up doing a lot of great things in the process from immersion, gun play to its online multiplayer. Nothing says you cannot like both games.

Edited by Choze

Super Mario Galaxy is vastly overrated. It's a good mario game but it was made far too easy and there wasn't enough actual platforming like you got in 64.

Fallout 3 a great game yes, I think Killzone deserves the same amount of recognition as it because it is graphically the best but also the best online. I'll probably remember it more fondly than Fallout. (Even though it is awesome)

R2 isn't going to be remembered like any of the previous but I like the style of it and the action and I sort of nailed the aim of it. I know all the intricacies and pleasures of the game and it's these little hints and tricks that made me play it so much.

I died alot on Galaxy :p

Resistance will continue to have a following. Its different from the other fps. I have people on my friends list still playing it nearly everyday. I look forward to the next one. Even R1 is still busy online and they made the map packs all free. edit: Dwarf has natural skills, i would hate to play aginst him in R2. I get headshot with any gun across maps... :blank:

I brought a guide for Killzone 2 and it arrived today. Half the guide is for multiplayer lol. They have tactics for things like best sentry bots positions on every map so might as well post general tips for the ribbon:

• Position them near objectives (multiple)

• Have bots cover each other.

• Soften enemies by your fire as they run into your bot trap.

• Use elevation to your advantage. More headshots by bots.

• Positons in maps vary. Think of high traffic areas and open areas where bots work well.

• Create a game type with medium to long length making sure you get your five kills. Defend or attack objectives work well too.

• Explosions = bad for bots. Place them where grenades will not be used.

• Try to be the single main engineer who uses turrets. Using all 4 is priceless. Same goes for air.

• Some maps easier than others for ribbons.

I can post specific stage tips too.

Edited by Choze

Dwarf has natural skills, i would hate to play aginst him in R2.

I can post specific stage tips too.

I come into my element in R2, I think there is a more level playing field in Killzone where it's not always obvious where your enemies are and if they see you first and you have good aim you can't do a whole lot, which isn't the case in R2

And yeah can you tell us the specific locations as well (in depth) please? Lots of that was kind of obvious.

You are really good at KZ2 too considering i was in the beta. Took me ages to level up first time.

Will do tommorrow. Need to find them in the guide and write them down. Hopefully someone on the internet will do a free online guide. For example if you throw down a beacon you can shoot it out if you need to reset it. Little stuff like that helps the advanced players too.

Here is me in an epic round. We lost barely but i almost could have turned it around if i placed my spawns better.

http://killzone.com/kz/tour_round_history.psml?kz_match_id=1572430&kz_file_id=1414127

also looks like they filled the gaps in the storyline: http://killzone.com/kz/storyline.psml

Edited by Choze