NEurope
navarre

Wierdest Internet Myths

What this Book tells us is the fact that Humans need to believe something, they need to have something logical in their minds, they can't be "born out of nothing" just like that, there has to be a logical reason in their minds, from that comes religion, and then from that, comes Faith.

I knew that already. That's why I have such trouble within myself; there is no God, and most definitely not the amazing one described in any religious text, but I need to know what happens next. I can't comprehend life.

Humans fear what they don't understand, so of course I do too. I will never "die"...it's impossible for me to die, the universe revolves around me, anyway. When I die, the universe will cease to exist, and of course, I cannot comprehend that in any way, shape or form.

[/slight mad rant]

The book isn't only about Religion and it isn't trying to turn anyone from one religion to Atheism...

What this Book tells us is the fact that Humans need to believe something, they need to have something logical in their minds, they can't be "born out of nothing" just like that, there has to be a logical reason in their minds, from that comes religion, and then from that, comes Faith.

The book is really awesome, im almost halfway through it, and it isn't only about Religion, it talks about the problem on our Minds, that seeks too much Logic in a world that's so random.

So you've read the book?

Hum... let's quote me again, please... Shino...

The book isn't only about Religion and it isn't trying to turn anyone from one religion to Atheism...

The book is really awesome, im almost halfway through it, and it isn't only about Religion, it talks about the problem on our Minds, that seeks too much Logic in a world that's so random.

Anything special here that answers your question? Camon... look for it... Didn't found it? Ops, here it is:

You know I usually skim through your posts.

Anyway, I'm rather impressed.

Skim = ?

(Sorry)

Ler em diagonal?

Lol, ya. Não ligues, tou no gozo.

Ah, ok, não percebi xD

Also, forgot to quote Paj:

I knew that already. That's why I have such trouble within myself; there is no God, and most definitely not the amazing one described in any religious text, but I need to know what happens next. I can't comprehend life.

Humans fear what they don't understand, so of course I do too. I will never "die"...it's impossible for me to die, the universe revolves around me, anyway. When I die, the universe will cease to exist, and of course, I cannot comprehend that in any way, shape or form.

[/slight mad rant]

Exactly, but the book doesn't speak about that only, he also speaks to us about "Knowledge"

Example: Did anyone of you suspect that 9/11 would happen? No, and a lot of the things that happen in our World are completely random, most of the history of our World is completely random.

IN Retrospective tough, they don't seem random at all, they seem "Just as planned". On our "Knowledge", we seem to predict everything, the real facts are that:

The more intelligent you are towards the past, the more shocked you will be towards the future.

And those are the Black Swans, everyone suspected all the Swans would be White, because they have the knowledge that all the Swans they saw are White, but when they see a Black Swan (in some place, i forgot where they were), everything you knew about "Swans being only white" did change.

Really, the Book is great, i don't know if it was released out there in England, but if it was in Portugal, then it most likely is in England. Its a solid read and it received great critics out there in the World.

I'm fed up with people recommending books concerning religion to try and broaden understanding. I make up my own mind, I don't need the God Dillusion or the above book to change my views. Those books are crowded with too much bias, and bias is never a good think when it comes reporting. At the end of the day, books designed to convert believers to aethiests are only really going to be hailed by aethiests, and ignored by believers, and vice versa. For if your religious beliefs can be swayed by the opinions of one authour, it begs the question: were you really religious in the first place?

But the other thing is, most atheists are only against religion because they don't understand it. I'm not saying you need to be religious, but please, don't just hate religion and those who are religious for no reason at all. You should learn about it, or you shouldn't really be complaining.

But the other thing is, most atheists are only against religion because they don't understand it. I'm not saying you need to be religious, but please, don't just hate religion and those who are religious for no reason at all. You should learn about it, or you shouldn't really be complaining.

No, most atheists are against religion as they believe it's people believing in something that they see as being simply not true, in the same way you would be against flat-Earth theories, or, say how you would be against someone who had the idea that women/black people/gay people where lesser than other humans.

As an atheist, I can totally comprehend why someone would need religion.

No, most atheists are against religion as they believe it's people believing in something that they see as being simply not true, in the same way you would be against flat-Earth theories, or, say how you would be against someone who had the idea that women/black people/gay people where lesser than other humans.

You have just pretty much proved my point. Lol. You clearly do not understand what religion is all about. So, please, stop ranting about it until you've found out.

About religion:

Here's one book that explains the reason why we need to have religion:

The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable.

[/thread]

I've read this book and for the record it's not about religion it's about probability and our logical fallacies in how we react to big events. As well as how the world is changed by "black swans" (unpredictable events)

Anyway, I don't remember when this book apparently says that we have to have religion.

EDIT: Ok just saw your blurb and that's true, but as the book suggests it would simply be better for us to say "I don't know how that happened" and simply be happy until we find out.

You have just pretty much proved my point. Lol. You clearly do not understand what religion is all about. So, please, stop ranting about it until you've found out.

I think you yourself don't see the point. Lots of atheist were probably once told to believe in this or that religion, but over time they realised it wasn't for them. I understand religion and why people would need it, but I myself find it something silly and unnecessary and have thus chosen not to believe anymore. It didn't make my life better, so there was no use for it.

However that doesn't mean other people can't believe in whatever they want. I won't stop them. As long as they don't push their opinions on others or do wrong to others, they can believe whatever they want in my opinion.

I understand perfectly the use andd content of religon (Christianity to be sepcific).

I was Christian for a good 3 years, and on another forum I frequent, there was a HUGGGGE thread about religion, from whichI learned a great deal.

That doesn't change the fact that I believe those who follow what the Bible says to be completely true to be slightly moronic.

I think you yourself don't see the point. Lots of atheist were probably once told to believe in this or that religion, but over time they realised it wasn't for them. I understand religion and why people would need it, but I myself find it something silly and unnecessary and have thus chosen not to believe anymore. It didn't make my life better, so there was no use for it.

However that doesn't mean other people can't believe in whatever they want. I won't stop them. As long as they don't push their opinions on others or do wrong to others, they can believe whatever they want in my opinion.

But those aren't the ones who I'm talking about.

I understand perfectly the use andd content of religon (Christianity to be sepcific).

I was Christian for a good 3 years, and on another forum I frequent, there was a HUGGGGE thread about religion, from whichI learned a great deal.

That doesn't change the fact that I believe those who follow what the Bible says to be completely true to be slightly moronic.

What denomination though? Most denominations don't take the bible literally.

I've read this book and for the record it's not about religion it's about probability and our logical fallacies in how we react to big events. As well as how the world is changed by "black swans" (unpredictable events)

Anyway, I don't remember when this book apparently says that we have to have religion.

EDIT: Ok just saw your blurb and that's true, but as the book suggests it would simply be better for us to say "I don't know how that happened" and simply be happy until we find out.

The problem is, that in much cases, we won't find out ;)

(Oh, if you're talking about going to Heaven and stuff, that's different, i tought you were talking in general)

Guys, as interesting as this is, would you PLEASE create another thread for it? I know I'm complaining, but I don't come to this thread to read about religion, I come to this thread to read about internet myths. And frankly, I'm tired of religion discussions. I've read too many of them and become too pissed with some people, so please take this somewhere else.

agreed. If this carries on I'm locking the thread. half a mind to anyway as it is.

What denomination though? Most denominations don't take the bible literally.

Protestant (sorry, I can't take Catholocism seriously. I actually find in fervent catholics, that it's a mark upontheir character). And I never said we used to take the Bible literally, I just know people who do.

[/end/shuts up]

agreed. If this carries on I'm locking the thread. half a mind to anyway as it is.

What if it's internet mythy related.

I am a Nigerian millionaire and I need to get my money into your country. Email me your bank account details and I will put all of my millions into your account. You will then transfer that money back to my account but will keep X thousand for yourself.

http://n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22373

One internet myth I see is that people think it's witty to go "oneoneeleventyone!!" to mock those who hold the 1 key a little longer than the shift key.

*looks at EEVIL's post, cries uncontrollably*

It was an accident. Honest.

I'm fed up with people recommending books concerning religion to try and broaden understanding. I make up my own mind, I don't need the God Dillusion or the above book to change my views. Those books are crowded with too much bias, and bias is never a good think when it comes reporting. At the end of the day, books designed to convert believers to aethiests are only really going to be hailed by aethiests, and ignored by believers, and vice versa. For if your religious beliefs can be swayed by the opinions of one authour, it begs the question: were you really religious in the first place?

Who wrote the Bible?

Ok, if you're so wise, enlighten us...

I really, really didn't want to get involved... :indeed:

I am a Nigerian millionaire and I need to get my money into your country. Email me your bank account details and I will put all of my millions into your account. You will then transfer that money back to my account but will keep X thousand for yourself.

It's funny you should say that, because I need someone to help me get my millions out of Nigeria. Send me all you financial information, I there'll be something in it for you...

george.jpg

"You give us your bank account details and we will wire you the monies..."

''girls don't exsist on the internet''

I have to say it still makes me giggle, some people actually really believe this too, which worries me, joking aside..

right. this religion shit is pissing me off. Take it up with whoever ignored the warning if you like the thread.

[Locked]