N-Europe

Ch..ch..ch..changes...

conzer16

As most of you know I was away in New Zealand for the first half of this year and many might have noticed my relative absence from the boards during that time due to both the absurd time difference and a waning in my affinity for videogames and N-E.

Now I know what you're all thinking...why is he telling us this, but I just wanted to make a point out of what I was/am experiencing, ie: a complete shift in my priorities and objectives in life and that includes some of my pasttimes and interests too.

Isn't it strange how some things which have long been favourite ways to spend your time, or opinions you once held and revered can be shattered with the simple passing of time? Time, they say, is a great healer and I have had painful experience of just that, but what they forget to tell you, or perhaps just leave out for convenience that time is also the architect of great change. Personal changes like the ones I'm being so cryptic about are ones I didn't expect to experience as I thought I was a reltatively grounded individual and so this comes as quite a shock to me.

So I am asking the rest of you girls and guys out there, has this ever happened to you where some of your most fundamental axioms can be shattered leaving you a little awed in the fact that such a shift of ojectives and beliefs can take place?

...to quote Mr. Bowie himself

Just gonna have to be a different man

Time may change me

But I cant trace time

(/weird conzer)

I haven't undergone any major changes myself, though it feels like I might at any minute. Everything is jumbled in my head, but ina good way, ready to be reorganized into something different. Six months from now, I could very easily be a 6'3" Gay African-American Soul-Star Pimp called Clarice.

Where in NZ mate?

Dunedin. South Island.

conzer you didn't tell us how you have changed. What have you digivolved into?

Not too sure yet moogle. Still trying to figure it out. Didnt really expect this to happen to me at this stage of life.

I changed pretty fundamentally during my summer holidays after my GCSE's, though in a way I can't really explain. Sort of an internal realsiation about life. For the first time I thought I'd figured life out and who I wanted to be.

Or to quote Brian Wilson:

I went through all kinds of changes

Took a look at myself and said

"That's not me"

I can have changes in my character or principles almost in an instant, if I really want the change to happen.

We adapt could be said about all things and we adapt quite quickly actually. If you like something you'll quickly get used to it and that can alter the perception of a lot of other things.

From what I can guess, reading between the lines, nothing so dramatic ever happened to me than did to you but as I said before we can adapt much quicker than we think.

The question always is though: are you happy with what you've become? And then ask yourself again if you're being honest with yourself. Comparing who you were to who you are now and then ask yourself again which person you really want to be.

During my first year at Uni I also somewhat changed and though it was for the better actually. But it actually got worse and then at some point I really sat there and remembered who I used to be and from that moment forward many things went a lot better.

The question always is though: are you happy with what you've become?

But it actually got worse and then at some point I really sat there and remembered who I used to be and from that moment forward many things went a lot better.

From what you're saying, it looks like you think about life and your place in it quite deeply? I guess I have a similar self-reflective quality within myself: I like to be able to take a step back and analyse what I'm truly like as a person, how I affect others and how I can be most content with what I'm doing.

An opposite mentality may steer away from self-reflection, keeping life as something lived more 'in the moment'. As a result, you might be less inclined to analyse everything you do and possibly experience greater freedom.

For me, the former outlook is greatly important. While change is inevitable, it shouldn't be something that shocks you. When I encounter a problem, I always find comfort in dealing with it practically, thinking about what I've done to incur it. By frequently looking at how I influence the world around me, I feel more in control of the way I'm changing. Although I may not have imagined who I am now as 'ideal' a few years ago, I feel that my development has been a concious and positive process, and am therefore happier for it.