N-Europe

Rumor: Resident evil 5, wii.

omnia

From Kotaku

When we talked to SEGA of America president Simon Jeffery at E3 last week, he showered us with knowledge and know-how. He also threw in a quick mention of a game we hadn't heard anything about — officially, that is — Resident Evil 5 for the Wii. To say that we were surprised to hear it mentioned would be an understatement, despite our non-reaction if front of Mr. Jeffery.

We followed up with a couple folks about the on camera slip of the tongue, starting with Nintendo's Reggie Fils-Aime.

Discussing our Executive Pop Quiz, in which we asked Nintendo Corporate Affairs VP Denise Kaigler if Resident Evil 5 was getting a Wii version, Mr. Fils-Aime fired back with a "Not yet!" and a laugh that left us more confused than when we started the question.

Talking to Capcom's Chris Kramer outside the publisher's E3 meeting room, he seemed genuinely surprised to hear of such a product. We told him that we already knew about the existence of Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop and he suggested that Mr. Jeffery was simply confusing the two products.

As far as a Wii port of the PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 title, Kramer asked of us "Have you seen Resident Evil 5?" implying that such a port would be almost impossible, adding that he'd not heard any such product was in the works for Nintendo's platform.

Finally, we followed up with Mr. Jeffery himself who said the mention of Resident Evil 5 for the Wii was just a "simple slip of the tongue."

"We’d been discussing the Res Evil 5 showing at the Microsoft event earlier, and it was still on my brain – that’s all," he wrote in an e-mail.

After the surprise announcement that Dead Rising was making the transition to the Wii — as Resident Evil 4 did, very successfully — we wouldn't discount anything at this point. Capcom seems to love all platforms equally. Resident Evil 5 for Wii has been officially denied, albeit in roundabout ways, so we won't cancel our pre-orders for the superior Wii version just yet.

But who knows what the future holds?

Since I dont have 15 posts, no URL for you

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as a Wii port of the PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 title, Kramer asked of us "Have you seen Resident Evil 5?" implying that such a port would be almost impossible, adding that he'd not heard any such product was in the works for Nintendo's platform.

Now seriously, this is someone from Capcom telling you that it's a no-go. Can we just damn well leave this alone pls?

Now seriously, this is someone from Capcom telling you that it's a no-go. Can we just damn well leave this alone pls?

From what I've seen, I'd have to go with "Yes, it won't take that much effort".

I don't get why people refuse to hope. It's obvious (and has always been since the success of RE4) that numero cinco will make its way to the Wii; the only doubt lies in the when.

Just watch the interview. Not really a slip of the tongue, really. He literally says "when that happens."

http://kotaku.com/5028022/segas-president-casually-mentions-resident-evil-5s-wii-release

While I'm not hyping myself, I wouldn't be too surprised, considering Capcom's track record on Wii. And from what I've seen of RE5, they could do it on Wii with the RE4 engine, since like someone so eloquently put at NeoGaf it looks like "Resident Evil 4: Africa Expedition" (edit: actually he said africa expansion, but I prefer mine lol). Which is good of course :P

Shouldn't have opened my mouth :indeed:

What? They're porting Dead Rising to Wii, something people deemed impossible to work on Wii. Which is true, but they're adjusting it enough so it works on Wii. I don't so why RE5 would be any different. And are you seriously believing what Capcom says? Remember when Shinji Mikami, the RE4 director, said something along the lines of "If RE4 comes out on any other platform than the GC, I'll cut my own head off."? I wonder how many heads that guy has.

What? They're porting Dead Rising to Wii, something people deemed impossible to work on Wii. Which is true, but they're adjusting it enough so it works on Wii. I don't so why RE5 would be any different. And are you seriously believing what Capcom says? Remember when Shinji Mikami, the RE4 director, said something along the lines of "If RE4 comes out on any other platform than the GC, I'll cut my own head off."? I wonder how many heads that guy has.

Power difference is vastly different than the gap between the PS2 and the GCN and that's just for starters.

Also have you actually read anything about DR Wii? It's quite a different game with less zombies, less features and quite frankly mediocre graphics. Not really the same game and all they seem to have improved is the aiming and the save system. If you want a RE5 that's transposed in that way then by all means.

Dead Rising was good looking, but RE5 is light years away graphicaly from it. I just don't see Capcom porting RE5 to the Wii.

Now, what I do see is a potential RE5 spin-off that takes advantage of everything the Wii can do. That's more likely.

But I'll tell you what, if I am wrong and RE5 comes to the Wii as a fully itact version of the other home console games, I'll give the man/women $5 via Paypal because that is how confident I am in this. :D

Power difference is vastly different than the gap between the PS2 and the GCN and that's just for starters.

Also have you actually read anything about DR Wii? It's quite a different game with less zombies, less features and quite frankly mediocre graphics.

Yeah, I know. That's why I said they're adjusting it. I won't get a 360, I already have a PS3. It might not be as good as the 360 version, but they're making it different enough and it seems like it'll be an enjoyable experience

If you want a RE5 that's transposed in that way then by all means.

RE5 with RE4Wii scheme would be godly, even without the HD graphics, superior AI, physics, ...

I'll still be getting the PS3 version, but I'd love a Wii version as well. The game should be available on as many platforms as possible, so that many people can enjoy a somewhat similar great experience. That's how I see it.

I wouldn't say that it wouldn't come out because I reckon, eventually, they'd make a downgraded version for the Wii...eventually. Personally, I would like it for the Wii, it would be quite cool even if the graphics aren't all that. Anyway, I look in gameplay more than graphics so it wouldn't bother me much :)

These fucking suits should stop calling games "product", it's annoying and too corporative.

Sorry to break this to you, but that's just what it is. If games were fine art, we wouldn't need to stand the entire casual type of games. In art, you either understand it, or you shut up and leave it alone.

Anyhows, I do hope that RE5 will make it to the Wii, and like someone else said, I haven't seen anything that the Wii can't do. Different lighting was done in Hitman 2, and in a simpler way, all the way back in the N64 days with Perfect Dark, and the high ammount of enemies was done in State of Emergency on PS2, and is being done in Dead Rising for the Wii. RE4 looked great on the GC, and that extra horsepower that the Wii has (50-100% more than the GC) is more than enough to add a bunch of extra enemies and make dynamic light.