NEurope
Ashley

Wii Speak

As I previously stated: that's not a problem on your cellphone when you put it on speaker, right? Noor is it on a conference phone. That's not an issue.

But I don't have speakers inches away from my cellphone blasting music and sound effects out. And the only time I used a conference phone was at work where no noise but the people talking are allowed.

We do the N-Europe podcasts over skype, using headsets and background noise is still picked out by someones mic when someone enters their room.

This really should be bundled with AC. But I might buy it anyway. I'd prefer a headset. It would be awesome if this worked exactly the same as a USB headset so we could just buy a wireless USB headset and use that if we preferred. I am a bit worried with it that I'll be playing some online game with my friends then my mom or somebody comes down and starts saying really embarrassing things. As long as in more mature games this is not Friends only though I'll be happy.

But I don't have speakers inches away from my cellphone blasting music and sound effects out. And the only time I used a conference phone was at work where no noise but the people talking are allowed.

But you do have the microphone inches away from a speaker blasting out whoever youre talking to's voice. It's the precisely same thing. Listen, Nintendo wouldn't be doing this way if the technology wouldn't work.

If you have a stereo besides the tv's speakers pounding away with whatever music you like, then yeah, the mic will pick that up.

And as I've stated, I use the mic on my laptop when I play online, and the audio's brilliant.

But you do have the microphone inches away from a speaker blasting out whoever youre talking to's voice. It's the precisely same thing. Listen, Nintendo wouldn't be doing this way if the technology wouldn't work.

If you have a stereo besides the tv's speakers pounding away with whatever music you like, then yeah, the mic will pick that up.

And as I've stated, I use the mic on my laptop when I play online, and the audio's brilliant.

No one is debating whether it will work or not, just discussing the functionality of how Nintendo itends it to work.

Hopefully like you suggested a few posts back it'll work on the press of a button. But what I picked up from the conference was that it was just a piece of kit on top of your tv and you talked and it picked it up. The words used to describe it didn't sound like a push a talk device.

I know it's a long shoot, but would be good if they done a WiiSpeak with WiiSpeak Channel bundled with it so it means we can talk to others during offline and online games.

Strangely enough I never spoke in games. Ever. I guess it's a matter of habit and I just haven't gotten into the habit. I think the very 1st time I heard somebody speak in game was counterstrike and ever since then I've been used to hearing others but never bothered speaking myself. Perhaps Nintendo might get me into this actually. Or not. I don't know.

As I've said with WMP, it will be at least a year before we see any 3rd party announcing that they are using this tech. At least.

1 game for each piece of tech... that's fairly poor going I think. Almost as bad as eye-toy2.

As I've said with WMP, it will be at least a year before we see any 3rd party announcing that they are using this tech. At least.

1 game for each piece of tech... that's fairly poor going I think. Almost as bad as eye-toy2.

Let's wait, eh? We've known about both devices for two days, for all we know support could be announced for other games in the next week, or at Leipzig, or at E For All in October. I'm sure third parties have been notified of these peripherals - remember High Voltage wanted voice chat in The Conduit?

Well, no big loss for me.

I actually think Nintendo has great ideas with this sort of thing in their vault of ideas. It's just that they're over protective of its customer base. And they should be. Do you remember the Pictochat bollox where some American media was raving on about how some weirdo suddenly connected to a girl's DS and started chatting. Games are BAD! Nintendo BAD! and all the balls that followed.

Nintendo is something of a victim of its own success with this global thing going, the larger chunk of the pie they take the higher the chance that some idiot will who try exploit the system. I tend to think you have to be demented to go knocking on somebody just because of a chatline in AC (or whatever else).

But then again, there was that girl who was insulted by WiiFit calling her "fat" so much so that she appeared on the BBC with her mother.

Takes all sorts I suppose.

Let's wait, eh? We've known about both devices for two days, for all we know support could be announced for other games in the next week, or at Leipzig, or at E For All in October. I'm sure third parties have been notified of these peripherals - remember High Voltage wanted voice chat in The Conduit?

Yeah but why wait? Nintendo have basically told us nothing since christmas. The Wii section of the forum has been so quiet and there has been no real news bar 3rd party efforts.

E3 is the big geek out for the hardcore so why are we getting practically nothing? Showing something off in October that's meant to be selling around xmas just isn't going to happen. Any announcements of important developments for 2008 should have happened by now.

Yeah but why wait? Nintendo have basically told us nothing since christmas. The Wii section of the forum has been so quiet and there has been no real news bar 3rd party efforts.

E3 is the big geek out for the hardcore so why are we getting practically nothing? Showing something off in October that's meant to be selling around xmas just isn't going to happen. Any announcements of important developments for 2008 should have happened by now.

It's very well apparent that Nintendo has been aiming their E3 more to the casuals than the hardcore.

Smash Bros was not announced on the conference back then because it would steal the show of the smaller games and because they know very well that we'll be F5 F5 F5 F5ing every videogame site for news during the E3.

Even the most discrete Smash unveiling turned into a huge bomb on the hardcore populated internet.

I personally always use voice comms in Insurgency and Day of Defeat.

It's great.

And if you press a button to speak doesent depend on the microphone, you press a key on the controller. It's nothing that needs figuring out, there is, as far as I know not a single game that has the microphone constantly turned on. Having 16 or maybe even 64 players with microphones constantly turned on would take up an awful lot of bandwidth, and you'd hear everything going on in everyones room. When you hear someone pressing a button like once or twice a minute when they com and lets say shoot at the same time, but just imagine hearing EVERY SINGLE button press that 64 players make during an entire game and so on. You quite simply would get a headache. So, yes, it's certain that it will be able to use a button in most games.

I think I remember reading that the thing is a devce that acts separte from the Wii - is this true? And does this mean it can be used ALL the time, even in current games? Or does it have to be programmed into the game?

EVERY online game needs to use this!

I'm still hoping for a WiiSpeak channel so you can use this when any friends are online with the Wii regardless if it's an online game, if not use it with existing online games with friends only.

Does anyone know the number of peripherals released and announced for the Wii to date? It must be seriously mounting up.

Yeah it's quite silly now really. Let's see;

WiiMote

Nunchuk

Classic Controller

Zapper

WiiWheel

Balance Board

WiiMote Plus

WiiSpeak

That isn't including extra's like the WiiMote jacket/SNES classic controller/SD Card/GameCube stuff, or 3rd party attachments and the GH3 guitar.

I'm still hoping for a WiiSpeak channel so you can use this when any friends are online with the Wii regardless if it's an online game, if not use it with existing online games with friends only.

Knowing Nintendo I'm not hopeful but this is absolutely the best solution and would make up for so many errors in their online plan.

Yeah it's quite silly now really. Let's see;

WiiMote

Nunchuk

Classic Controller

Zapper

WiiWheel

Balance Board

WiiMote Plus

WiiSpeak

That isn't including extra's like the WiiMote jacket/SNES classic controller/SD Card/GameCube stuff, or 3rd party attachments and the GH3 guitar.

It's not really that silly. Plus, it means you can have more variety with your games.

Wiimote - Needed...it's the main controller.

Nunchuk - Not needed for every game, but usually is needed, especially for movement. I personally think the Wiimote should come bundled with the Nunchuk.

Classic Controller - Not entirely needed, I don't have one. But, if you want to play VC games or certain games using a traditional control method, you have this. Its helpful.

Zapper: I don't think its needed. I think it can be used to maybe enhance the experience, but its not essential.

WiiWheel: Again, not essential.

Balance Board - Well, you need this for WiiFit. The whole idea of WiiFit revolves around the board. Its like playing a dancemat game without the dancemat.

WiiMote Plus: We still don't know all that much about this yet, or which games will incorporate it, or how.

WiiSpeak: Same as above.

Overall, I think the additional peripherals can add a different experience to the games. Isn't that what Wii was about in the first place? And, certain games do come bundled with the accessories anyway, right? Didn't Mario Kart come with the Wii Wheel? Didn't Link's CrossBow Training come with the Zapper? WiiFit came with the Balance Board.

So, I wouldn't say it was a huge deal, to be honest. The only thing I think even worth half complaining about is WiiMote Plus, but we don't know whats in store for that yet.

By "silly" I mean more just the fact that there are so many. It stacks up in cost - yeah WiiFit was bundled with the board, but WiiFit also cost £70. Not to mention that I now have peripherals cluttering up my room. I have two WiiWheels under my bed, I have one nunchuk on my desk and on beside the console, I have a classic controller and a GC controller in a drawer on my desk, not to mention my Guitar Hero / Rock Band stuff (not a Wii game but you know what I'm trying to say) all over the floor in front of the TV. I'm all for a good peripheral but there is a limit.

By "silly" I mean more just the fact that there are so many. It stacks up in cost - yeah WiiFit was bundled with the board, but WiiFit also cost £70. Not to mention that I now have peripherals cluttering up my room. I have two WiiWheels under my bed, I have one nunchuk on my desk and on beside the console, I have a classic controller and a GC controller in a drawer on my desk, not to mention my Guitar Hero / Rock Band stuff (not a Wii game but you know what I'm trying to say) all over the floor in front of the TV. I'm all for a good peripheral but there is a limit.

I do get what you mean, but you really don't need all of those additional peripherals to play the games, they're really just enhancements. I had a funky little steering wheel and pedals for my N64, and I could just as happily played something like V-Rally using the controller, but the wheel did make it a tad bit more fun.

With Rockband/Guitar Hero, you are kinda screwed, because in order to enjoy the game the way it was intended, you need to buy the accessories/attachments/peripherals.

But, that's just gaming nowadays, I think. There's a lot more variety with games, especially rhythm games that requires bongos, a dancemat, or guitar or other musical attachments. True, it can work out to be expensive, and true, it does take up a lot of space. But, would you rather play these types of games with just a control pad? Guitar Hero is fun with just the Wiimote, but its legendary with the Guitar, the way it was intended.

Not to mention dance mats for the gay kids like me, they're folded messily under my TV. I'm fine with augmenting an experience, I'm just worried how many peripherals my bedroom can handle.

Not to mention dance mats for the gay kids like me, they're folded messily under my TV. I'm fine with augmenting an experience, I'm just worried how many peripherals my bedroom can handle.

My Guitar Hero Guitar is currently on top of my suitcase in one of our rooms. That can be quite a pain to store.

I'm not sure where the hell all of that Rock Band stuff would go if I had it. o_O

My Guitar Hero Guitar is currently on top of my suitcase in one of our rooms. That can be quite a pain to store.

I'm not sure where the hell all of that Rock Band stuff would go if I had it. o_O

2u6pht3.jpg

:blank:

It's not like the 360 doesn't have it's share of accessories:

HDD (more than one size)

Headset (wired and wireless)

Controllers

Battery

Play and Charge Kit

Camera

Controller Keyboard

Remote

It's not like the 360 doesn't have it's share of accessories:

HDD (more than one size)

Headset (wired and wireless)

Controllers

Battery

Play and Charge Kit

Camera

Controller Keyboard

Remote

Yeah but they aren't input for games, which was what I was going for. If you're including stuff like that for Wii you could add SD cards, Wiimote docks, , batteries, keyboards, blablabla. I was thinking more just the input options.