NEurope
D_prOdigy

Captain Rainbow!!

New Trailer - Captain★Rainbow "The Fascinating Dynamite Body"

Famicom War soilders

Tracy has pictures of mario and link on her wall.

w158754277.jpg

LOL

We can now add "Femme Fatale" Tracy and the Volleyball Soldiers to the character list. :heh:

Wonder when we'll get to know something about gameplay. All we've seen is a bunch of cutscenes in Japanese.

LOL

We can now add "Femme Fatale" Tracy and the Volleyball Soldiers to the character list. :heh:

Cough! Look the previous page for more. Cough!

I get the feeling this is another title where Japan is going to barely care so it sells next to nothing but at the same time where it's far too bizzare and hard to localise for them to put the effort in to bring it over here.

Shame as it looks hugely original and very interesting!

Cough! Look the previous page for more. Cough!

Oh, the Devil and the Giftpia characters... We still don't know their quirky personalities :heh:

11665_cr1_122_374lo.jpg

Behind Devil is picture of him with King DeeDee's Waddle Doo. :confused:

Gameplay details:

The gameplay of Captain Rainbow can be divided in two parts; the adventure part and the action part.

The adventure part of Captain Rainbow is set on enjoying the Island Life together with the other islanders. Nick can go fishing, bug catching and help the other Islanders with their requests. Most of the request can lead to various mini-games, such as boxing and golf. Helping islanders can get you special Earth Crystals known as: "Kirarin" (”Sparklies”).

The action part is based around those crystals. If many Kirarin are collected, a star will fall from the sky. The star can be carried to an altar at the top of the Island where it will grant a wish. While carrying the star to the altar Nick is challenged by a mysterious silhouette who for unknown reasons wants the star for himself. If Nick succeeds in bringing the star to the altar there will be two choices left for him. He can either grant his own wish to become a popular hero again or grant the wish of one of the islanders and go back to finding other Kirarin.

mysterious silhouette = Tingle boss fight? :o

Behind Devil is picture of him with King DeeDee's Waddle Doo. :confused:

Nope:

devil_world.png

Seems to be ennemies from Devil World.

Characters so far:

Nick - Coming from "The Land of the Free" Mameruka, Nick's alter-ego is Captain Rainbow. Although not as popular as he used to be, Nick came to Minmin Island with the dream of restoring his popularity.

Catherine (Birdo) - From Super Mario Bros. 2, Catherine's (an effeminate dinosaur of undeterminal gender) reason to come to Minmin Island is to become popular with all the boys, but was wrongly suspected of a crime and imprisoned.

Mappo - The Robot jailer from GiFTPiA, it's unknown why it came to Minmin Island.

Little Mac - From Punch-Out!!, Mac's wish is to become a world champion once again. It is shown that, depending on how Nick helps Mac with his training, he can become either massive or incredible thin.

Hikari - From Shin Onigashima.

Takamaru - From Nazo no Murasamejō.

Otsu-San - From Famicom Golf, he is portrayed as an old man.

Tracy - From Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. Above her throne she has a potrait of Mario next to a Link portrait. Her dream is to enslave all the men in the world.

Famicom Wars Soldiers - From Famicom Wars. For some reason, their wish is to become good at Volleyball.

Devil - From Devil World. His dream is to become the number one villain in hell.

Tao - From GiFTPiA and Chibi Robo!. His dream is to do nothing but eat.

Nice list, who put it together? The Birdo entry is a highlight:

Catherine (Birdo) - From Super Mario Bros. 2, Catherine's (an effeminate dinosaur of undeterminal gender) reason to come to Minmin Island is to become popular with all the boys, but was wrongly suspected of a crime and imprisoned.

"Effeminate dinosaur of undeterminable gender" is well surmised and worded, but just what can we make of that next part? Birdo wants to become popular with the boys, eh? Well what about the girls? And Birdo was imprisoned for some crime, though wrongly. I wonder what it could have been? I'm gonna say pedophilia.

Its such a shame that this is one of the few games I'm looking froward to on the wii, what with rubbish such as Celebrity Sports Showdown (wtf really) etc coming. These are bad times to be a Nintendo fan......

The Famitsu cross-review in a nutshell : really great, funny characters and writing. The characters in particular are really expressive, and seem to all be living their own life withing the game (also thanks to the day/night cycle). Pretty enjoyable gameplay, good tempo. Humor is often indecent. Seems like the music is pretty good too. Overall, it would seem like they all really liked it, including the "7" guy.

Art

image22.pngimage23.pngimage27.pngimage28.pngimage29.pngimage30.png

image31.pngimage32.pngimage33.pngimage34.pngimage35.pngimage55.png

New Videos

Captain★Rainbow "March Towards the Setting Sun"

Game|Life Hands-On

Want more hard-core games for Wii? How about a niche adventure game that maybe two people are going to buy?

Yes, it's that time again: Time for Skip, the iconoclastic maker of bizarre games like Chibi-Robo and Giftpia to unleash its first Wii game onto the world. It's called Captain Rainbow, and it's got all the hallmarks of a good Skip game: a quirky, endearing story; bizarre characters; lackadaisical gameplay goals and (most critically) weird shit.

The weird shit this time around stems mostly from the fact that this is a game about a down-on-his-luck superhero who has been sent off to a mysterious island full of down-on-their-luck characters from old Nintendo games. Little Mac from Punch-Out, Birdo from Super Mario Bros. 2, the generic golfer from Golf and many more of Nintendo's most forgettable characters are all on this island with you, and all of you are looking to have your wishes granted.

My impressions of the game's first two hours are below.

Things begin with the Captain Rainbow TV theme song, which you can watch over at the official homepage. Following this, we watch a brief cinema scene explaining what's up with main character Nick. His secret identity is superhero Captain Rainbow, who fights crime with a yo-yo.

As you might expect, Captain Rainbow isn't the coolest superhero around anymore, and the kids are now crushing on even cooler heroes. So Nick heads to the mysterious Mimin Island, which is rumored to have the power to grant wishes. On the way, he loses his belt that lets him transform into Captain Rainbow.

When you wash up on shore, you can explore freely and experiment with the game's controls. It uses a combination of the Wii nunchuk and pointer: You use the stick to move Nick around, then point at items and people to interact with them. If you point at something when Nick is far away, he'll look at it and you'll get a brief text description of what it is. When Nick is close up, the pointer icon will change to an exclamation point and you'll be able to interact with whatever it is.

On the beach are seashells you can pick up, crabs that run away from you and fruit you can eat, although it has no visible effect. There are also haniwa stone statues that you can punch and break by holding down the B button to charge a punch, then letting go.

Wandering off the beach, you'll find some characters to talk to. One is Hikari, a shrine maiden from the Japan-only game Shin Onigashima. The others are the Mimin, the little rabbitlike creatures that inhabit the island and grant wishes.

Hikari says something about you being the chosen one or something (I wasn't paying attention). Then she shows you a secret ancient door in her house that just so happens to have an impression in it that matches the exact shape of Captain Rainbow. If only you could transform into him!

But you can't. So at this point, you can save your game (by using the outhouse, of course) or sleep on a bed in Hikari's place -- this lets you jump to the next day or night cycle. Of course Captain Rainbow has a day/night cycle! Haven't you played a Skip game before? Different characters are doing different things depending on what time of day it is.

So now you get the run of much more of the island. When you can go exploring, you'll find:

Hidden Mimin. If you run your pointer over certain parts of the level, you'll hear them squeaking, and you can click to unleash more of the little guys into the wild.

The soldiers from Advance Wars. Well, Famicom Wars, actually. These soldiers are currently camped out on Mimin Island, learning to be the world's best ... volleyball team. I don't get it either, but they tell you that if you're looking for anything, you should talk to Hikari in the mornings when she's praying.

The robot policeman from Giftpia. He's locked up Birdo at the police station.

Birdo. Amusingly, the old story from the U.S. version of the Mario 2 instruction book about how Birdo is a transvestite has now been retconned into canon. He's a cross-dressing dude now.

A bunch of rocks you can't break and paths you can't cross. You'll have to power up before you can explore the island.

Eventually, you figure out that you need to crash at Hikari's, then ask her in the morning where you should go. She tells you the location of your belt, and you can go retrieve it. Now, you can turn into CAPTAIN RAINBOW and break tiny rocks with your yo-yo. You can transform whenever you want, but you have to eat fruit to restore your energy bar, or you'll die.

And that's pretty much how far I got. Since I'm still just puttering around in the introductory phases, I can't tell you much about how it plays -- it's slowly ramping up. It seems like most of what you'll need to do is solve puzzles by collecting items and talking to people, trying to solve their problems.

What I can say for sure is that it's a really nice-looking game. Skip's graphics designers have made really nice use of 2-D and cel-shaded elements, blending them all together with straight-up 3-D to create some really attractive and stylish cartoon environments. It's a pleasure just to explore the island -- with any luck, the gameplay will hold up.

Now, the big question: Will this come to the United States? Unfortunately, I think it'll all have to do with what side of the bed Nintendo of America gets up on tomorrow. It left Giftpia in Japan, but brought over Chibi-Robo. It's hard to say whether Captain Robot will make the jump or remain relegated to the land of misfit Japanese curiosities.

I've been looking up at all the information for this game today!:D and WOW!I'm impressed and I really want this game and wish it would get released here or at least the US!!!! Man I might import this and learn Japanese!

It looks so much fun and has a my type of crazy humour! It's oozing with Nintendo trivia and it has an awesome art style in my eyes!. :grin: I'm now so excited for this! I even made a signature and avatar! :yay:

It sounds like they've almost purposely made this game so that it won't leave Japan. :(