NEurope
Jackster

Where can a 16 year old get a job?

Hey people. I've been thinking about getting a job for a while now and since the summer holidays are coming up I thought now would be the best time to try and get one.

I had a job interview at a coffee shop a few weeks ago but and I think the main problem they had with me was I was 16 and therefore inexperienced. Anyone know anywhere that's not too bothered about (younger) age?

I've already applied to Asda and I have application forms for WHSmith, Woolworths, Morissons, the Co-op and Zavvi. Anyone got any other recommendations or tips?

You won't get anywhere. You apply and they reply back saying you have no experience. So you apply again and get the same response.

Keep trying though.

tentatively, I'd say the back streets of Soho.

LOL...

Toy's R Us are good for employing younger people, namely for the sake of paying dirt-low wages, how does 3.60p/h sound?

Then how would you get experience if no one give you a job?

LOL...

Toy's R Us are good for employing younger people, namely for the sake of paying dirt-low wages, how does 3.60p/h sound?

back when I first started working it was £3 an hour for under 18s!

Just keep trying, thats all you can do, took me over a year to get a job!:blank:

Try factory work. It's decent pay and assuming it's not (over)run by Polish they'll take anyone.

There is always unpaid work experience, which, i think is mandatory in the UK for 15 year olds.

Precicely what I was putting across.

There is always unpaid work experience, which, i think is mandatory in the UK for 15 year olds.

That's essentially legal slavery, what kind of motivation would a 15 year old have for that job? No one likes to work for free.

Precicely what I was putting across.

I have thought of this often, every job application in my area of expertise asks for at least 2 years of experience, where the fuck am I suppose to get it? But its even more ridiculous to ask experience in unqualified and small paying jobs.

Yeah, i'm planning on getting a job over the summer, but it's not easy at all...

I did that last year, it's quite good really. Something to put on a CV, a week off school, and just the experience of doing it is good.

As for the topic; Do you live near any shopping centres? Just apply to a load of shops in big centre and your bound to get something. I had an interview for a Nike factory outlet the other day (still waiting to hear back though). One thing I would say is don't expect to get a job at somewhere like Zavvi, HMV, GAME etc because they won't employ you since you can't really sell 18 rated movies and games.

Plenty of restraunts, pubs, hotels and cafe's will be looking for waiters now as it's the Summer, so why not leave your details with nearby venues. That's what I opted for after doing my GCSE's, and it's a role where no experience is required and where you can gain valuable customer service skills and learn to work under pressure etc

That's essentially legal slavery, what kind of motivation would a 15 year old have for that job? No one likes to work for free.

Not really, you're only doing it for a week and some places do pay you while you're doing work experience. It's a great thing to put on your CV too, depending where you go the experience is more valuable than the money you earn.

Go to local restaurants; they're always looking for kitchen porters (KPs).

Sure a weeks worth of experience is worth shit all these days. Even the most basic of clerical jobs ask for 6 months plus. And yer talking minimum wage pay.

i have never had a problem finding a job when I wanted one. Just don't set your standards too high and dont give up after one rejection.

My main jobs when i was 16 were McDonalds and working washing up at a pub.

As shite as it may sound, Tesco don't ever ask you for your bloody grades on your application form, and I've been training a few 16 y/o's recently.

The pay is decent too; for under 18s at my store, it was £5.34 + 25p location pay, with a £1 pay rise when you hit 18.

Tesco except any able sixteen year old. Also you said you had no work experience, did you not ever do a paper round? I did one for three years before I started work at Tesco, the pay was shite but it got me up in the morning and taught be some responsibility.

well too many polish ruin any chance of jobs anymore.

If you meant Polish people, you don't need to worry. They're opening their own shops now, everywhere. There's at least 6 in Manchester.

Sadly there isn't much. I began my work massive at 16 [with help from my Mummy] at the Sainsbury's Massive. Even though, there are many who want work. Rape people at places, it's the beginning of the summer[ish] so people leaving back to China need to replace their loses

Thanks for all your suggestions so far people :D

Have you tried a different coffee shop?

Not yet, I was going to try Starbucks and Costa and Cafe Nero, though

Letty works in a coffee shop, has done since she was 15.

I was fairly fortunate to work for my parents when i was that age, wages were great :p