Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2008/2009

Ramar

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Baros was an absolute arse. Came to Villa Park with fanfare and great anticipation and was utter shit.

So glad we swapped him for Big John Carew. :bowdown:

He's one of these players that I just didn't understand. Generally, I thought he didn't suit the Premier League at all.

You can't argue with some of the goals he has scored this season.

12 goals so far, I think. He's the reason that I don't think Bolton will be in any danger for some time yet. They're your typical midtable team. They've got enough to stay up, but lacking a few players to challenge for Europe.

Also, what do you guys think of this?

Luton Lose Football League Status

Luton's relegation was inevitable, but it was brilliant that they won the Football League Trophy. It gave their fans something to cheer about after a horrible couple of years.

Reckon they'll be back up next season?

They battled, which is all they could have done really. 30 point deduction...ouch.

They can bounce back up, but they'll have to work just as hard next year. It can be done, and I think they will do it.

Milan Baros was an ass to be fair.

One player I have a lot of respect for this season: Keven Davies

Brilliant player and (unless I'm mistaken) quite a genuine chap.

If by genuine you mean a dirty thug, then yeah sure.

Luton's relegation was inevitable, but it was brilliant that they won the Football League Trophy. It gave their fans something to cheer about after a horrible couple of years.

Reckon they'll be back up next season?

They battled, which is all they could have done really. 30 point deduction...ouch.

They can bounce back up, but they'll have to work just as hard next year. It can be done, and I think they will do it.

Luton will only come back if they can keep hold of their players and ones they've loaned this year. They'll also need the fans behind them. The fans are a disgrace though, 40,000 at Wembley, only 6,000 today when they are needed most.

Edited by Ramar

If by genuine you mean a dirty thug, then yeah sure.

He's not really popular amongst Arsenal fans, is he? (or is that Kevin Nolan I'm thinking of...or both?!)

Luton will only come back if they can keep hold of their players and ones they've loaned this year. They'll also need the fans behind them. The fans are a disgrace though, 40,000 at Wembley, only 6,000 today when they are needed most.

That's pretty bad that only 6,000 turned up. I guess they must have resigned themselves to defeat and relegation, but they should still have gone nevertheless.

I feel sorry for Luton, they've basically been punished 2 (or was it 3) times for the same crime and never stood a chance this season.

I was talking to my housemate about this, and we both agreed that with a 30-point deduction, they were never all that likely to stay up. So, maybe a more suitable punishment would have been to start the team in the league below. So, relegate them, rather than spend a season fighting a losing battle?

I feel sorry for Luton, they've basically been punished 2 (or was it 3) times for the same crime and never stood a chance this season.

They were punished twice, firstly for going into administration (or something to do with the previous seasons administration) and then for paying agents bungs. But most Luton fans feel hard done by because the chairman who paid the bungs left the club when it came to light, basically jumping ship and leaving them in the shit.

He's not really popular amongst Arsenal fans, is he? (or is that Kevin Nolan I'm thinking of...or both?!)

That's pretty bad that only 6,000 turned up. I guess they must have resigned themselves to defeat and relegation, but they should still have gone nevertheless.

I was talking to my housemate about this, and we both agreed that with a 30-point deduction, they were never all that likely to stay up. So, maybe a more suitable punishment would have been to start the team in the league below. So, relegate them, rather than spend a season fighting a losing battle?

Pretty much dislike any of the Bolton lads (or ex-Bolton in case of Nolan) who think that football is all about kick two lumps out of the opposing team.

To be honest Luton never had big crowds anyway, 6,000 is probably a good crowd. It's just ironic you get people going on about fans of the big 4, then you get this scenario where you get 40,000 at Wembley but can't get 10,000 at home. Shocking proof, glory supporting is evident in lower leagues.

The punishment should have been relegation, they were never gonna survive -30 points, they didn't even have a full squad at the start of the season.

They were punished twice, firstly for going into administration (or something to do with the previous seasons administration) and then for paying agents bungs. But most Luton fans feel hard done by because the chairman who paid the bungs left the club when it came to light, basically jumping ship and leaving them in the shit.

Out of curiosity, did the chairman receive any punishment?

Pretty much dislike any of the Bolton lads (or ex-Bolton in case of Nolan) who think that football is all about kick two lumps out of the opposing team.

To be honest Luton never had big crowds anyway, 6,000 is probably a good crowd. It's just ironic you get people going on about fans of the big 4, then you get this scenario where you get 40,000 at Wembley but can't get 10,000 at home. Shocking proof, glory supporting is evident in lower leagues.

The punishment should have been relegation, they were never gonna survive -30 points, they didn't even have a full squad at the start of the season.

Yeah, there's being "in your face" when it comes to closing down and tough tackling. Then, there's "in your face" where the boot is actually...in your face.

Ah, I didn't actually think of that. In that case, I wonder where the other 30-something thousand came from. Hmm.

Exactly, at least there's some dignity for the club that way. Having a huge points reduction and trying hard but still getting relegated just seems like a pointless task, imo.

Out of curiosity, did the chairman receive any punishment?

Just had to quickly check BBC because I couldn't remember the exact punishment he received.

As well as the punishment handed to the club, former chairman Bill Tomlins has been banned from football for five years and fined £15,000.

£15,000 fine is pittance.

Just had to quickly check BBC because I couldn't remember the exact punishment he received.

£15,000 fine is pittance.

Banned for five years as well, though. Which would soften the blow for fans, I expect. 15 grand compared to losing league status, hmm.

Sad to see Luton go.

Thing is they are in a much better situation (financially) than a lot of the teams around them that will no doubt go into administration soon. They don't deserve to go down, FA well and truely fucked em over with the minus 30 points for some things (apart from going into administration) that a lot of other clubs have got away with!

cough cough Man U :p

joking aside though the only reason Luton's punishment (well the 10 points for 3rd party payments) was applied this season was because of Leeds' legal fight last year to try and get their points back

Edited by gmac

Does anyone think this year has been a pretty boring year for footy in the prem? I just think last season was so good, the amazing goals and brilliant play was in abundance yet this year.... Just not that special.

Brilliant display so far... The free kick was genius.

Chelsea are looking pretty shakey defensively, however still look dangerous on the few occasions they've moved forward. I just hope Liverpool don't forget who they're playing, and end up getting caught out on the break.

More of the same in the second half please....

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!